CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: REPLACEMENT WADS FOR WAA12F114
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 10:58 pm 
Field Grade

Hey folks,

I just wanted to start off with letting you know that I appreciated the help yall have given me on another thread within this website.

It goes a long way with me!

Anyhoo...back to the question.

I am looking at reloading Lyman 525-grain sabot slugs. And according to the info I have on hand, it takes WAA12F114 wads.

So here's my question: Are the Claybuster replacement wads as good, or should I just stick to the original WAA12F114 wads?

I ask because there are a few things I have read about this very topic:

1) Winchester has discontinued the WAA12114 wads and there are now limited quantities of them left.

2) I have also read that Winchester has continued to sell the WAA12F114 wads again, but they were either longer or shorter (I can't remember which it was) than the original.

3) Claybuster wads have inherant problems with cold weather. But I believe that they were NOT talking about the Claybuster replacement wads for the WAA12F114...but about the Claybuster replacement wads for the WAA12 wads.

I would appreciate some clarification on this, as I have found a decent source for these Claybuster wads...which are replacement wads for the WAA12F114. (Click HERE to check it out).

By the way, I will be using 2 3/4" Remington Premier STS hulls.

Thanks again, folks.

I will await your replies before making my decision/purchase.

In Christ: Raymond

Post subject: re: REPLACEMENT WADS FOR WAA12F114
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 7:22 am 
Presentation Grade

I don't know much about the difference in the WAA12F114 and the CB1114-12.
I can tell you that the WAA12 and the CB1118-12 are a little
different.
I don't play with the LYMAN slugs but I do play with the LEE 1oz drive key slug and have found that the CB clone is not very good.
With the CB clone my groups are 3" at 50yds and with the real WAA12 wads they group 1" to 1 1/2 inch.
Other thing I noticed was that with the CB 1118-12 was after
about 6 shots the gun started to kick harder(more recoil).
Where with the WAA12 it did not.
Both were shot out of the same rifled barrel.(barrel was cleaned between test)
When I got to checking I found twice the plastic build up when using the CB clone.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 8:08 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

I would recommend you try the Downrange clone of the WAA12F114, which is the DRA-12 Yellow.

This is an exact copy of that wad and Down Range wads are known for their ability to work without leaving very much plastic fouling. They use 100% virgin plastic in their products.

For more information, contact Kevin Lewis, Plant Manager, Down Range Manufacturing 402-463-3415

DLM

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 9:48 pm 
Presentation Grade

The Winchester WAA12-F114 has been changed from its original design. The current offering from Winchester is essentially thier white WAA-12 1 1/8 oz wad colored yellow.

The claybruiser clone copies are just that, they also exhibit the new longer cushion section, the shorter petals in the shotcup, and the reduced size overpowder cup. And they are made from a less desireable plastic.

The Downrange Mfg. DRA-12-Yellow is true to the original WAA12-F114 design. It has the long shotcup petals, the short cushion section, and the oversized overpowder cup, just as the original did. And they are made from top of the line plastics.

Distributor for Downrange Mfg.

http://www.downrangemfg.com/

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 8:03 am 
Field Grade

Thanks, Guys!

This information is EXACTLY what I was looking for.

Someone else has been kind enough to direct me to someone who had a bunch of the original WAA12F114's left-over, who is willing to sell me 500 of them for super cheap.

After those are done, I will probably look into the Downrange Mfg wads. I would also be curious to know what the price difference is between the original WAA12F114 and the Downrange Mfg wads. (Not that it really matters, as that's "penny-pinching" and "ghetto" as heck)!

Ha ha.

Thanks again, folks!

Kudos.

In Christ: Raymond