CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stevens 512 Gold Wing O/U..?
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 9:50 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Somebody brought up this new O/U in the Classics shotgun section here.
Natty's response really cracked me up...:lol:

So which Turkish firearm manufacturer is building this shotgun for Savage Arms?

Has anyone seen one yet?

http://www.savagearms.com/st_shotgun.htm

Post subject: re: Stevens 512 Gold Wing O/U..?
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 10:05 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

There are due out soon; they arrived at the SHOT show actually at the show. I'll try to get a status report.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:44 pm 
Limited Edition

I just seen a sales paper from Bass Pro. Savage Stevens 512 Goldwing O/U 12; 20; 28 & 410 for $499.88. I'm wondering about a 28 gage. I may just go look at one.

Has anyone else seen them yet? :?:

Wiggles Sadie
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1030

Will Munny
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1031

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:32 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

They are out, I took one apart at the shop the other day..

They are made by a company called Torun/Hatfield gun Co.

The wood is actually pretty nice, the "black chorme" finish looks like it came right out of a spray can. The brass "pheasant looking" bird isn't even masked off properly before they applied the finish. The wood to metal fit was very bad, almost flush on one side of the receiver and about 1/16" proud on the other.
We sat one out next to a Mossberg Silver Reserve and the mossberg actually looked better... The chokes were the same, don't know if they use the same supplier.... I can't comment on the longevity of these guns yet, but first impression was not very good. They were asking $550 for it.

I looks like Savage just tried to get a gun in the marketplace to compete with the Remigton Saprtans and the Mossberg Silver Reserves...
They should have gotten a good lower end gun from the supplier of their Milano line and priced it a little higher, I think they would have better success.....

I'm not brave enough to try one out...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:34 pm 
Limited Edition

Thanks for the info.

Wiggles Sadie

Will Munny

Post subject: Re: re: Stevens 512 Gold Wing O/U..?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:59 pm 
Diamond Grade

Smitty in CT wrote:

The wood is actually pretty nice, the "black chorme" finish looks like it came right out of a spray can. The brass "pheasant looking" bird isn't even masked off properly before they applied the finish. The wood to metal fit was very bad, almost flush on one side of the receiver and about 1/16" proud on the other.
We sat one out next to a Mossberg Silver Reserve and the mossberg actually looked better... The chokes were the same, don't know if they use the same supplier.... I can't comment on the longevity of these guns yet, but first impression was not very good. They were asking $550 for it.

I looks like Savage just tried to get a gun in the marketplace to compete with the Remigton Saprtans and the Mossberg Silver Reserves...
They should have gotten a good lower end gun from the supplier of their Milano line and priced it a little higher, I think they would have better success.....

Yeah, I think they should just come down in price with the Milanos. . .I know the price of the Euro and everything is supposed to be what made them go up. . . but at double the price? I would much rather buy more Veronas. . .now if Savage brings the Milano down a couple $100. . .get to that $800-$950 range. . .a range that will put them with the CZ line. . .and they are a ton better than the CZ line, I think Savage will sell a lot more guns. I'm not sure what they would rather do? Sell more guns at less money or sell fewer at a higher price? I would think start lower, build the Milano up and then raise the price, but that 's just me.

As far as the Gold wing. . .who knows, but someone did buy one, so we should hear a report in a few weeks. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:14 pm 
Presentation Grade

Smitty in CT wrote:

I agree with the above post, but I bought one anyway. I haven't shot it yet to see how it feels. The birds on the side will, in my opinion, hurt the sale of these guns. I paid $499 for the gun and it looks about like a $499 gun. I'll let you know after dove season how it shoots.

JED

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:06 pm 
Limited Edition

Jed,

What gage did you get?

Wiggles Sadie

Will Munny

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:29 pm 
Presentation Grade

gwgdog66 wrote:
Jed,

What gage did you get?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:43 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Jed,

How did you make out with the 512 this dove season??

Smitty

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:24 pm 
Utility Grade

Well maybe I am just lucky but i recently purchased one of these in 12 GA..the metal finish is very good, the wood to metal fit is excellent and the little pheasant appears to have been masked off properly and overall is a very good looking gun. In fact one of the reasons i picked this gun over the mossberg SR is because it looked nicer(not to mention i have heard nothing but bad things about the mossberg). Sure none of the inlays and engravings compares to a gun that cost 4x as much but i don't expect that from a gun that only cost me $500. So far I have put a few hundred rounds though it with no issues. Plenty accurate enough and a fun gun to shoot. Overall I am very pleased with my purchase but thats just my two cents. I will keep everyone posted on how this thing holds up but so far so good.