CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Benelli Super Sport
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 2:15 pm 
Tournament Grade

What do you think about the gun? I just got mine yesterday and shot it and I love it. Its easy to change directions and its level. What do you think the SuperSport is best for? Clays,Skeet,trap? Info would help me out alot.

Thanks in advance!

Post subject: re: Benelli Super Sport
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 7:22 pm 
Field Grade

I don't own the new one, but mine is a couple of years old. Two words...Love it! You are correct, it swings very nice. I use mine for mostly Sporting clays. I have shot both skeet and trap, but I am more of a skeet shooter over trap. It has everything I need, two ribs to choose from and the five extended chokes. Can't go wrong.

When it comes to Semi auto's Benelli is my favorite. I own both benelli and beretta. The action on the Benelli can not be beat. Butter smooth.

Enjoy, I have over the past couple of years.
Kap

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 8:32 pm 
Crown Grade

I have a Super Sport that my wife and I use. It one of the nice's gun I have shot. It also is easy to clean. My Beretta is also nice but the Benelli just come a cross as a nicer gun. Mybe it's the ease of cleaning or the balance what ever it is I like it.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 9:00 pm 

I shot one once at a Tom Knapp exhibition. I found it to be quite lively and easy to handle.
I didn't buy one, instead I opted for the SBE for the ability to shot the 3.5 roman candles at geese this fall.

Amassing a stockpile of shotshells

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 9:01 pm 
Presentation Grade

Well, I dont have much to say in the way of the SS as I dont own one. But I do own a couple of Benelli's and just love them.

Kap12:
Quote:
When it comes to Semi auto's Benelli is my favorite. I own both benelli and beretta. The action on the Benelli can not be beat. Butter smooth.

Kraiza:
Quote:
My Beretta is also nice but the Benelli just come a cross as a nicer gun. Mybe it's the ease of cleaning or the balance what ever it is I like it.

I had a Beretta 391 Teknys Gold Field (pretty gun) that I bought before I bought my first Montefeltro. I fell in love with my new (at that time) Monte so I traded my Teknys in for a Montefeltro Silver and I couldn't be more pleased. I shoot the Monte better right out of the box, it's lighter, it points much better (IMHO) and I wasn't a fan of cleaning the 391 (although not too big of an issue). I know this isn't much help to TexasSuperSport but I had to share it anyway :D. Congratulations on your SuperSport, I think I will have to add one to my family someday :lol:.

Shooter_01

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 9:03 pm 
Tournament Grade

Before I got my SS I shot a Berretta Urika 391 and loved it. But right out of the box the SS was the gun for me!

20-.410

Post subject: Re: Benelli Super Sport
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 9:08 pm 
Crown Grade

TexasSuperSport wrote:
What do you think the SuperSport is best for?

Typically one researches these types of questions before buying the gun. However, I, like some, didn't do such a good job at that, and bought one (which is over priced to begin with).

I don't like it, never did, can't shoot it, never bonded with it, and thus why it is all cleaned up in the box waiting for me to put a price tag on it, and flip it. Love the mechanical makeup of the Inertia system, barrel/choke is of high quality, but thats about it. Trigger system isn't right, the stock, yada, yada... Some like em, some don't.

What is it good for? Well, only value I ever saw in it was out in the pouring rain out at the pattern board patterning reloads - throw it back in the truck soaking wet with rain water dripping out of the receiver and don't have to worry about a wood stock (the SS has a plastic stock with carbon fiber pattern inked on it), or the barrel rusting (SS barrel is chrome lined). That's worh $1,500, right ? :shock:

I was after a high volume trap/skeep/S.C. gun that I could "dial in" and have easy tear-down, and cleanup (cleanup was important to me). I got the fast cleanup, but that's about it.

If you like the gun, cool - use it for what you bought it for, be it hunting, S.C., whatever. After I bought mine, I got a lesson in 'marketing hype', and how not to trust the reviews in gun mags.

MM3

Last edited by Mokeman3 on Wed May 23, 2007 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 9:12 pm 
Presentation Grade

TexasSuperSport:
Quote:
Before I got my SS I shot a Berretta Urika 391 and loved it. But right out of the box the SS was the gun for me!

I couldnt agree more. Well, except swtich the "SS" with "Monte" and I know exactly what you mean :lol:. Actually, I would have bought a SuperSport a while ago but the funds wouldnt allow it (neither would the girlfriend :x), they go for $2250.00 around here :shock: :(. They sure feel sweet though, and I bet they shoot sweet too :shock:.

Shooter_01

Post subject: Re: re: Benelli Super Sport
Crown Grade

TexasSuperSport wrote:

<i> Benelli Carbon Fiber Super Sport 12Ga </i>

Pop the recoil pad off, and have a closer look....
The Super Sport isn't carbon fiber at all, not even close.

MM3

Last edited by Mokeman3 on Wed May 23, 2007 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diamond Grade

Once I got my SS I haven't even touched my O/U; it'd be a few steps back!
It is quality!
I use it for skeet and trap; I plan to try sporting clays soon.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 9:15 pm 
Tournament Grade

MokeMan-Im sorry you do not like your SS, some people like it some don't.

The supersport to me shoots great and I love it. Its your own opinion isnt it? Therefore I love mine.

20-.410

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 9:28 pm 
Crown Grade

I had one of the earlier Benelli SL80's from 1985 to 1995.

TexasSuperSport wrote:
What do you think about the gun?

You can shoot any of the games you mention with it an do fairly well but here is an honest appraisal IMHO based on 37 years of shotgun shooting;

Sporting Clays - probably its best use, some of the serious s/c shooters will consider it to be a bit light for the game but it will work pretty well.

Skeet - pretty good for skeet, again, the lighter weight will not be considered an assest by a lot of compedative shooters but it will work and will provide some enjoyable shooting and decent scores.

Trap - from a compedative viewpoint, it would be the least suited for trap based on the weight. The other issue is that if it ejects the empties so it hits the shooter next to you, about 9 feet to your right and it is not fitted with a shell catcher, it will not be popular with the other shooters.

If it can be "weighted up" and in the case of trap, the ejection is not an issue, or can be dealt with, it could likely work OK for any of these games.

Post subject: Re: re: Benelli Super Sport
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 1:16 am 
Crown Grade

TexasSuperSport wrote:
MokeMan-Im sorry you do not like your SS, some people like it some don't.

The supersport to me shoots great and I love it. Its your own opinion isnt it? Therefore I love mine.

Oh yeah, like I said, one amazing thing about this gun is just how diametric it really is - amazes me to see how some people absolutly love it, and then some just loath it. Interesting piece.

Yeah, heck, if you like it, use the heck out of it. Thats sorta the reason I went after it - I wanted unadultrated, hard-core durability (I do 3+ flats/wk). Once thing I did find (durability wise) is that I did have tgrigger issues if I went too long between cleanings. But heck yeah, if you dig it, shoot it up!

I on the other was lucky enough to move on to discover how trap shooting is really done as soon as I picked up a Browning BT-99 Golden Clays, LOL...

MM3

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 9:02 am 
Diamond Grade

I got lucky with the Supersport. I'm a sucker for a new shotgun and shortly after it came on the market, I shot one at a Ducks Unlimited Exhibition and could not hit a bear in a phone booth with it. Recently, I looked at a Sport II as I much prefer the wood and after comparing it to a walnut- stocked M2, decided the latter felt better in my hands. Now if I can just get the M2 though a round of clays without a malfunction, I'll be happy.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 8:50 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Claydoc,

Just curious. What kind of problems do you have with the M2 on a round of clays? I have not bought a Benelli yet, but have been considering either the M2 or Monte (I want a left-hand model). I do very much like the feel fo the M2 with wood stock (even thought you can't get this in LH for some reason).

Just curious.

DMB

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:51 pm 
Utility Grade

I've got a M2 in Max4 and I love it! Its my duck gun and I've put it thru all kinda crap (mud,rain,ice) and it keeps on keepin on! A good shot guns gotta have 3 things, Boom,Boom,Boom!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:47 am 
Field Grade

I fell in love with my SS as soon as I picked it up in the store. I use it for everything. It has never malfunctioned.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:56 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Had an SS 12 ga. and found it absolutely fine from Day 1 on skeet, 5-stand and clays. Very reliable/tough, ate everything, shot where I looked. Add an LM from Briley and you've got about all the chokes you're ever going to need. I ran almost exclusively 1 oz loads through it for claybirds. Took it out for pheasant just for giggles a couple times. It ate up 1 1/8 and 1 1/4 oz shells just fine and dropped the ringnecks DRT ... dead right there. Too light and fast for trap use, at least per my taste.

Don't have it anymore. I could appreciate the fine piece of machinery it was, but I can't say it did anything special for my senses. Heck of a tool, though. Were I to own another in 12, I'd get a weighted forend cap and perhaps even add a little weight in the stock. Gun's pretty slender and quick. Almost "fieldish" in that regard. Had the Sport II in 20 gauge, too. Really can't say anything bad about it. Mine was rather plain in the walnut ... but a good tool? Yep.

Easy to clean? Yes, both were very much so.

I'd be sure to shoot some Benellis before dropping the coin on one. Some guys hate the feel of them, including their recoil. Personally, I shot it low gun and found the fit fine and the recoil a non-factor.