CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: home made silencer
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 8:39 pm 
I read an article in a hunting magazine a couple of years ago about a guy who made a silencer up out of pvc pipe for his shot gun.It was so effective ,that all you would hear is the the shot pellets hitting the crow and the crow hitting the ground. Has any one any information on this topic.I don't remember the specifics.It was totally legal to have this on his gun and very effective because it would not spook the crows when shooting them.I would like to make one up for my 12 gauge shotgun.

Post subject: Re: home made silencer
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 9:33 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If you are in the U.S., I don't think silencers are legal without a special license. Better check it out with the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms (BATF). Do a Google search for their website.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 10:33 pm 
Ornithology Expert

With my understanding of physics and acoustics I don't see how one could silence a scattergun. What I can imagine might happen is that the sound is directed away from the shooter, and thus he thinks it is a silencer.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 10:56 pm 
Presentation Grade

I second the suggestion above in reference to veryfying both state and federal laws regarding silencers/supressors. Just taking someone's word that they are legal could cause you to find yourself in a whole heap of trouble. The ATF does not play when it comes to stepping over the line.

Now setting that aisde and speaking with great ignorance,I thought I read somewhere that truly effective silencers slow projectiles to sub sonic speeds. Would shotgun pellets (7 1/2's-9's) even penetrate at sub sonic levels? Little mass and slow speed would seem to be ineffective. (I can't do any calculations without my abacus ! :lol:)

Can anyone straighten me out here ?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 12:30 am 
Ornithology Expert

If one tried to slow a shotcup full of shot, the cup would be the only thing slowing. The pellets would still travel super sonically and result in a terrible pattern.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 7:12 am 
Diamond Grade

The only thing that I have heard about that is anything close to a silencer on a shotgun is the Metro Goose System. It is a 36" barrel extension. So if you have a 26" barrel, you now have a 62" barrel. It is full of ports and other complicated things I cannot fathom and the end result is that it reduces the blast by "up to 50%". They use them for swating geese off of golf courses.

Andy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 10:29 am 
Field Grade

you can not make or posses a suppresor (aka silencer) without a class 3 permit from the BATF. having one carries a ten year minimum sentence and so forth. the liscense is expensive to say the least and you must sign over your rights to search and seizure. there is a such thing as a special purpose shotgun silencer made for swat teams. it's used for room entry with 00 buck and is welded to a short (8-14 inch) barrel. if you want to get rid of crows then i would suggest either 12g birdbusters (loud firecracker) or a 22s /22LR firing CB's (Wal-Mart).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 11:09 am 
Limited Edition

The barrel extension is the Hastings Metro barrel extension it is a 32 inch extension that screws into the choke threads in your barrel and it has corresponding threads in the end of the extension, ie. if the extension goes into a Benelli barrel the extension will accept Benelli choke tubes (at least that's the way I understand it works)

Here is a link:
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/horizontal-item.jhtml?id=0005577224961a&navAction=push&navCount=5&indexId=cat20805&podId=0005577&catalogCode=XD&parentId=cat20805&parentType=index&rid=&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fcatalog%2Fitem-link.jhtml_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20712&hasJS=true

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 8:52 pm 
Presentation Grade

That thing would make dove hunting and station two skeet doubles a little tough ! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 9:35 am 
Utility Grade

Federal makes sub-sonic goose loads for "metro" hunting.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 11:13 am 
Ornithology Expert

I know of two very quiet ways to crow hunt. Air rifle and falconry.