CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best Recoil Pad?????
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 8:55 am 
Field Grade

Shot a round of sporting clays with my 1187 Remington yesterday. Had a blast. Today, I have a nice little bruise going for me......

Never been one to shy away from shooting, but I will say that the last 25 shots or so, were a little bit harsh.....

What would be a better recoil pad?

I've read good things about the Limbsavers.

Any others I should look into?

Thanks
Buck

Post subject: re: Best Recoil Pad?????
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 9:47 am 
Gunsmith
Gunsmith

Any of the namebrand recoil pads are going to be good. Limbsavers are fine.

If you are being beaten up by an 1187, you might want to consider changing shells. A shell like the Winchester AA will give moderate recoil and will be a better shell for you than the Walmart promo loads, for instance.

Good luck!

Clemson

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 10:09 am 
Diamond Grade

I just put a Limbsaver "Speed Mount" pad on my Benelli M2 and am eager to try it out. I probably won't be able to tell the difference but I've helped the economy. What kind of pad is on the 1187 at present, I presume a factory rubber pad of some sort. Reminton 1100's and 1187's have a reputation for being soft- shooting, so one might wonder if the gun does not fit you or if you are not holding it firmly enough against your shoulder. Clemson recommends Winchester AA's but doesn't say which load. Some of them such as the Super Sports kick a lot worse than Walmart promo loads. Try something that says either "target load" or "light target load" and lean into the gun with it firmly against your shoulder and you may not need a new pad.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 2:41 pm 
Tournament Grade

Get the Remmy R3.... its awesome!

Jorgy

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 3:11 pm 
Diamond Grade

I just bought the R3 and put it on my 20 gauge before shooting skeet, trap and sporting clays this weekend. I couldn't feel much difference with my 20 gauge. But I use very light target shells, less than 1100 fps, I reload and have a vented polychoke on my gun that also relieves recoil. It is hard to reduce recoil any further. I don't think the recoil is enough to matter which recoil pad is on my gun. I did pattern some higher velocity shells yesterday. I noticed a difference with them. You can feel the pad through the container. It is much softer than the stock pad that came with my gun.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 3:39 pm 
Diamond Grade

I have a Kick-EEZ and an Xcoil made by the people at HIViz light sights. I would have to say the Xcoil is the better of the two. I have a pre-fit model on my Xtrema and it definately helps take the sting out of those 3.5 inchers. :D

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 10:46 pm 
Field Grade

the shotgun I own that kicks the most is a Win. 1300 Defender 18" barrel shooting slugs, it had a plastic recoil pad with vents in it but you would still get bruised after 20 shells, I got the prefitted limbsaver screw on recoil pad, what a change it still kicks but won't bruise, and it reduced it by 40% I feel. knoxx industries makes some awesome stocks for different shotguns but are more expensive.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 2:19 am 
Tournament Grade

+1 vote for the X-coil

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 6:02 am 
Crown Grade

Limbsaver, Kick-eze, X-Coil, Pachmayr Decellerator, they are all much better than the hockey puck material that Remington and Browning use for their standard pads. The Remington R3 is the same material as the Limbsaver, and is a good one.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 5:54 pm 
Crown Grade

I've been very happy with the Pachmayr Decelerator recoil pads I've had installed on a few of my guns. Local gunsmiths report that the Pachmayr pads are easier to grind and will therefore give a neater finished appearance. Apparently, some of the other brands use a variety of synthetic materials that heat up quickly and hinder a neat finish.

Post subject: Re: re: Best Recoil Pad?????
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 8:46 pm 

claydoctor wrote:
I just put a Limbsaver "Speed Mount" pad on my Benelli M2 and am eager to try it out. I probably won't be able to tell the difference but I've helped the economy. What kind of pad is on the 1187 at present, I presume a factory rubber pad of some sort. Reminton 1100's and 1187's have a reputation for being soft- shooting, so one might wonder if the gun does not fit you or if you are not holding it firmly enough against your shoulder. Clemson recommends Winchester AA's but doesn't say which load. Some of them such as the Super Sports kick a lot worse than Walmart promo loads. Try something that says either "target load" or "light target load" and lean into the gun with it firmly against your shoulder and you may not need a new pad.

Clay, I swapped out the stock pad on my Nova with a limbsaver and it turned the gun from a claybusting bruiser to a pleasant shooter. It even took some of the edge off the 3.5 roman candles.
I am very happy with it and I think you will be also.

Amassing a stockpile of shotshells

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 8:55 pm 
Diamond Grade

Big Shooter wrote:
claydoctor wrote:

Clay, I swapped out the stock pad on my Nova with a limbsaver and it turned the gun from a claybusting bruiser to a pleasant shooter. It even took some of the edge off the 3.5 roman candles.
I am very happy with it and I think you will be also.

I hope so.I haven't shot it yet with the Limbsaver. I just dropped it off at the dealer today for it's second trip back to Benelli, in as many months, for service. It cycles better than before but now has an annoying habit of doubling.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 9:30 pm 
Diamond Grade

I'll bet a dollar to a donut it's either gun fit or shooting those "horse killer" macho loads. Clays don't take horse power to be killed, they take "hits".......Jack (and ps..Kickeze pads)

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 11:19 pm 
Presentation Grade

I learned to mount pads several years ago, I now mount for me and several friends. I am 100% in the Kick-Eez camp. I like their ease of grinding, mounting and recoil absorption. I have tried others only to promise myself not to fool with nothing but KE ever again.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 11:43 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Pachymeyer Old English Decellerator is the prettiest pad that works really well, I think.

Not as pretty, but all very good pads, are X-Coil, Kick Eezz, Limbsaver, and Galazan's "technically superior". The vented Decellerators work very well, too, but why use one when the Old English looks so much better?

The factory pads on some guns are on the hard side. Every one of the above pads work very well. If there was a pad I thought was the "best" at absorbing recoil, it would be the X Coil, which is super squishy, and also not very pretty, is harder to grind, and is subject to rapid wear if you ride around in a golf cart with the thing on the floor. But, the X Coil soaks up recoil at least as well as any other pad, and for my shoulder they work the best.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 5:01 am 
Diamond Grade

The Remington R3 pad and the Limbsaver are one and the same. Newer Remington models have the R3 pad on them. If your 11-87 is a pre-R3 model, then you can buy a R3 from Remington or a pre-fit Limbsaver. Simms Vibration Laboratories makes the Limbsaver and the R3. I just put a Limbsaver on my Nova and have yet to shoot it. It can't possibly be worse than that piece of stone they used from the factory.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 3:29 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks everyone, for the input. I am using El Cheapo Reimington / Walmart Promo's.

Don't get me wrong, they aren't exactly what I'd call heavy loads. I've shot bigger, badder guns. Recoil as a rule doesn't bother me. On the other hand, my 1187 is pretty new to me, and I don't guess I understand shotgun fit. But it points pretty good for me.

I've had it for about 3 yrs or so. 1187 Sportsman. Black Syn stock, 26" VR barrel. My first autoloader. I do enjoy it.

Anyway, thanks for the input. I will look into the LS / R3 and the Xcoil.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:59 pm 
Diamond Grade

SuperXOne wrote:
If there was a pad I thought was the "best" at absorbing recoil, it would be the X Coil, which is super squishy, and also not very pretty, is harder to grind, and is subject to rapid wear if you ride around in a golf cart with the thing on the floor. But, the X Coil soaks up recoil at least as well as any other pad, and for my shoulder they work the best.

I have used various ones in the past including the decelerator and Kick-EEZ which I currently have on my target gun. Without a doubt XCOIL is the the most forgiving, HANDS DOWN..

As far as Wear goes... it's holding up fine so far, only been a couple of years though.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:42 pm 
Crown Grade

The Pachmayr Triple Magnum pad is the cushiest I've ever used. They are so spongy, they come with a peg to put in the screw holes when stored to keep from compressing the rubber. I haven't had them on long enough to say about durability.
http://www.midwayusa.com/esearch.exe/se ... rch_Button

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:15 pm 
Field Grade

I have a Kick-EEZ pad on my gun now, and I'd buy it again. I didn't think it was difficult to finish, and I did it all with a hand rasp and sandpaper.