CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stevens 311
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:18 pm 
Limited Edition

Those of you who have one...what do you think of it?

Post subject: re: Stevens 311
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:33 pm 
Crown Grade

Many years ago I had a friend who had a 20 gauge 311.He seemed to like the shotgun OK but did have some trouble from time to time with a fired shell slipping by the extractor or ejector.I forget just what type the shotgun had.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:39 pm 
Diamond Grade

Rather crudely made. Loved by everybody that has one. Several in my family. They are tough, but as stated, they are not highly engineered. The cost of making them as doubles should be made is much too expensive. They were mass produced without a great deal of Quality Control. If you get one that shoots where you point it, you have one that will be a blessing to you. Some do not. However, I have found by reading these posts that most people don't ever pattern their guns and don't know where their POI/POA is. They seem to get along with the guns because they hit something occasionally.

You have to pay for quality. Big bucks. Even then you are taking a chance. Not even the big bucks guns always have barrel regulation that is expected.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:58 pm 
Limited Edition

".....You have to pay for quality. Big bucks. Even then you are taking a chance. Not even the big bucks guns always have barrel regulation that is expected...."

That is true for repeaters as well as for SxS guns.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:14 am 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

They are a very dependable, unsophisticated, durable SxS. Everybody needs at least one.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:23 am 
Diamond Grade

Heavy but dependable. I used to look for ones in good condition in the $75-125 cut the barrels down to 20 -22" add a bead, silver solder & thin the pistol grip and sell for cowboy action shoots. These were good sellers at the range I worked.
They are a good beater gun for grouse,woodcock and rabbit in short configuration in heavy cover.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:21 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have 4. 12(5100), 16(101.7 Sears), 20(101.1610 Sears) and .410(530A).
I like them all.
The better ones are the 5100/530's.
They are a little older with real walnut.
Design is very similar.
Don't pay more than $300 for one in excellent condition and you will be satisfied as well.

I had Mike Orlen choke tube my 20 and I really like that one now.
My 12 was cut to 25" (not by me) but works great for skeet.
I restocked the 16 with a laminate from gunstocks inc.
Parts are available.
I don't think you could put 50,000 rounds through one without trouble though. I have put around 3000 total through all four of mine.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:21 pm 
Presentation Grade

buddy of mine has one, it doesn't look pretty but it will shoot whenever no matter what conditions and at whatever you point it at.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:17 pm 
Crown Grade

Ah, what memories! My first shotgun in 1968 was a 20 gauge 311. As already mentioned, it was pretty crude, but mine killed a lot of rabbits, doves, quail, and a few ducks and I won the Forestry Club Skeet Shoot with it in 1976 (with a score of 22). One of the things I also remember is that the stock had a lot of drop at comb and heel. Be sure it fits before you buy if you want it for a using gun.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:27 pm 
Crown Grade

Yeah, the stock measurements varied all over the place, depending on year of manufacture. My uncle had one with a TERRIBLE crooked stock, like in the old days. They were made for a style of shooting where you held your head erect, and looked down the barrels. Man, that gun would give you a swelled cheek and headache .....

But a LOT of them had decent stocks, and were a solid, dependable gun (and, like Rosie O'Donnel, also ugly and heavy).

But they WORKED, and killed a lot of game!

BobK

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:45 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

During my childhood and early adulthood, the Stevens 311 was the main game getter in my clan that roamed the swamps of eastern NC. The less affluent had a Stevens 94 single shot. No one was very affluent and the best way to make a living was to process grain and malt into a liquid partaken of too much by my kindred. They guarded their prized stills with their old 311's and assorted other fowling pieces.

They hunted year round, in season and out. The law was nor found in these outlying areas and it was not safe for either the law or outsiders to pry into the affairs of the clan. Else they would find that the 311 was a most reliable piece that would spray lead very efficiently. As I have stated on more than one post, they shot 3" shells in the 2 3/4" chamber as soon as they were available. Why? They were illiterate and knew no different. I never knew one of these old 311's to give way with these extra long loads. Many is the deer and bear that fell to these old reliables.

When a cousin became a game warden and I became a deputy sheriff,we were cast out of the clan as the law was not looked upon with kindness. But this is a story for another day.

Bottom line: I like the Stevens 311, especially the 311H. It ain't pretty but it's as tough as the old swamp dwellers that were my kin that have gone on to their reward. Whether they went up or down for their reward is not known to me. I have a suspicion that they would like to be with their friends in their eternal rest. Heaven would be the last place to locate said friends.

The old Stevens/Savage guns fed a many a family over the early years of my youth as my folks couldn't afford anything else. Many of these fine old guns can be found in the cabins they left slowly rusting away. If only they could talk!!!

Post subject: Re: re: Stevens 311
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:21 am 
Limited Edition

BobK wrote:
Yeah, the stock measurements varied all over the place, depending on year of manufacture. My uncle had one with a TERRIBLE crooked stock, like in the old days. They were made for a style of shooting where you held your head erect, and looked down the barrels. Man, that gun would give you a swelled cheek and headache .....

But a LOT of them had decent stocks, and were a solid, dependable gun (and, like Rosie O'Donnel, also ugly and heavy).

But they WORKED, and killed a lot of game!

BobK

You must not have any neck. :lol:

I LOVE those old stocks. They are the only ones that fit me. With "modern" shotgun stocks, I cannot put my cheek on the stock if I put the butt squarely against my shoulder. The stocks nowadays just don't have enough drop. :evil:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:26 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have good memories of the old Savage Stevens model 311. Years ago I once had a 12 and 16 gauge. I liked my 16 much better than the 12. Both my shotguns were rather plain and heavy to carry but were reliable shooters. One has to be careful shopping the 311 these days... Some dealers think this shotgun is the hope diamond...:lol: I've seen many that are way over priced for what they are really worth. Sometimes the forearm latch on these shotguns will develop problems over time getting loose so make sure to check this when shopping for one if possible. For my money today... I think the new Remington SPR210 is a much better low end side by side than the 311. The gun in my opinion is as well built, will shoot steel without damaging the barrel or choke, and also has switchable choke tube design. The SPR210 is pretty much on the heavy handling side like the 311 was. On the sentimentle side, I do miss my old 311,16 that I traded away years ago.

Best of luck in your search...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:07 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Had two of them over the years. Best way to describe them is: "Reasonably competent utilitarian sxs".

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:52 pm 
Presentation Grade

They are a great starter SxS. If you buy an earlier model such as an early 1950's 311A in the $200-250 range ($300-$350 for 20 ga.), it will hold its value well. And you WILL sale or trade it at some point for something a little nicer.

The drawbacks of the 311 are: (1) they are heavy and clunky, (2) the stocks are secured by a throughbolt which work their way loose over time and have to be retightened, and (3) the wood is quite plain on the earlier guns and is downright ugly on later guns , especially the Tenite models.

That said, I'd rather own a 311A 20 gauge than a Baikal or Stoeger for the same money.

Also, for some unknown reason, .410 311's are ridiculously overpriced. The breech ends of the barrels are squared off and just don't look right to me.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:25 pm 
Crown Grade

:D Hi, well they are heavy, but do they ever hold up! They work fine. Newer ones to me are very chunky and a bit clumsy.This is no best gun in any sense of the word. Older guns, seem to be more graceful (sic) and have better wood (walnut), plus better workmanship.

Hard to beat for an entry level SxS (but don't pay over $300).

Good Luck!

Greg

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:23 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I got one new in 20 gauge my freshman year of high school (1978) for about $125. I knew next to nothing about shotguns and took care of it like it was a "best." Hey, it was the only and best I had. Now that I know more about shotguns, I realize it was heavy, very plain and reliable as all heck. Kind of wish I'd never traded it away, even if just for sentiment's sake.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:24 pm 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

One note: I used to laugh at my Dad and Uncle Don when they went on their annual Christmas Rabbit hunt. These guys had many best guns in their cabinets but for that special Holiday hunt each year Dad brought out his old,well worn, pre-WWII M311 and Don used his Savage M24 .410/22.