CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ponsness Warren Bushings
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:48 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Seems like I read somewhere that Hornady powder bushings will fit in the P/W. If this is true do they require any "fitting" or are they a direct replacement?
Thanks,
OtH

Post subject: re: Ponsness Warren Bushings
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:50 am 
Limited Edition

Yes they will work fine. The only thing is with the shot bushings. In a PW they are steel. With and Hornady and Spolar they are Aluminum and should not be interchanged. And of course different numbering system.

Good luck

Al

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:21 am 
Presentation Grade

They also make a converter for about 7.50 that will allow you to use MEC powder bushings in a Hornady or a P/W. MEC bushings are easier to find, much cheaper and there are more different sizes that allow a finer tuning of the load that the P/W bushings do.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:34 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Moocher,
Who makes the converter? I already have a lot of MEC bushings.
OtH

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:50 am 
Crown Grade

OTH, what size PW bushings are you looking for? I ask because I have a bunch of small ones for the 410, 1ax, 2ax etc, as well as a spare 1/2oz steel for shot. Provided I don't keep the machine, and I'll know friday, I'll give them to'ya.

Bel_dad

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:54 pm 
Tournament Grade

"With and Hornady and Spolar they are Aluminum and should not be interchanged."

Why is that?? I make them on my lathe to throw the correct weighed charge of steel, HS, and lead. I then mark them with stamped marks. For instance 1 1/8 #4 HS. I now have bushings thatare verified to be correct. I have used brass, aluminum, steel, and PVC pipe. They all work the same in the machine.

PW, Pacific and Hornaday all use the same size bushings. You can make or buy a bushing that takes Mec powder busings as inserts.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:13 pm 
Crown Grade

You'll want to be a little careful if you go with the MEC adapter (available from precision reloading, among other sources). the MEC bushing is a tiny bit shorter than the others, IIRC about .010 in. This means that the bushing is riding just slightly above the valve plates on the PW machine. I noticed a greater variation in powder throws using a MEC adapter and MEC bushing than with the PW/Hornady bushings.

john

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:40 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Bel dad,
I bought th 12 ga. assortment when I bought the reloader. However they don't throw the exact charge of Clay's powder that I want to use. I believe yours for the .410 are way too small. The Hornday bushings are closer to the charge that I want.
Thanks anyway,
OtH

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:06 pm 
Crown Grade

When you say exact charge... seems like exact comes from taking a drill to one and adjusting until you get it right. Powder comes in so many forms, getting exact with out custom work not real easy to do. Perhaps I read you wrong...

Next project around here is getting the 28g mec to throw more powder. The bushing in is to small, the next one up to large. After the appropriate and obligatory "honey do's," ream one out to get it just right.

Bel_dad

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:46 pm 
Tournament Grade

Can anyone give me the correct size of PW bushing to throw 19.5 grains of green dot. I can get a friend to laith it for me. :wink:

Can I use aluminium or PVC to make my bushings? 8)

Is there any site where I can get the dimensions for all the PW bushings? {RO

BIGK

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:44 pm 
Crown Grade

If you need bushing inside diameters look at the Hornady bushing charts. Their bushing numbers are the I.D. of the bushing. What a great idea- makes so much more sense than an "f" bushing or a #32.

Edit- As has been stated elsewhere- bushing numbers are just a guideline. Weigh your charges when selecting the bushing, its more important to find/modify a bushing that drops the right amount of powder than to find a bushing with a certain number stamped into it. If you need to, you can fle out the i.d. to get a bushing that drops too light to throw what you really want. I file mine with a rat tail file and then polish them up with scotch brite so that the powder drops smoothly and freely.

John

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:45 pm 
Presentation Grade

Over the hill-I see them for sale on Ebay all the time. Just look up Ponsness Warren. If they are not there, try any mail order house that sells a lot of reloading equipment. It may list the converter for a Mec bushing to a Hornady loader but it will also fit the powder bushing for P/Ws.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:55 pm 
Presentation Grade

John H-I have used a Mec Converter in a P/W for tens of thousands of rounds and I have not noticed any significant variation in powder throws. I never got more than 1/10th of a grain difference in the same loading session. Humidity, different powder lots, and most other variations in loading conditions cause that kind of small difference. Even at max loadings 1/10th of a grain will not make any discernable difference.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:45 pm 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

Still no explanation as to why the steel, brass, and aluminum bushings shouldn't be interchanged? I have some of each and use them in any and all the machines I have. I doubt it is going to have any negative effect. :roll:

BP

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:02 am 
Tournament Grade

I have no idea of the dimension of 19.5 gr red dot. I would use aluminum or brass just because it is easiar to work with on the lathe. P/W uses aluminum for powder and steel for shot.

To make a bushing , turn the outside to the correct diameter. Drill an undersized hole, 5/16"?? Cut the bushing to the correct length. Then use a boring bar to get it to the correct size. This will be determined by throwing test charges and weighing them. Then enlarging the hole and testing it again. You will get a feel for how many thousands represents what fraction of a grain. You can sneak up on the charge and get it right.

Lead shot reloads are not as critical as steel. That said for the trouble involved of having a friend do it I would just buy a bushing. Get an "M" bushing.

http://www.reloaders.com/alliant.html

Post subject: Re: re: Ponsness Warren Bushings
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:02 pm 

Scota4570 wrote:
I have no idea of the dimension of 19.5 gr red dot. I would use aluminum or brass just because it is easiar to work with on the lathe. P/W uses aluminum for powder and steel for shot.

To make a bushing , turn the outside to the correct diameter. Drill an undersized hole, 5/16"?? Cut the bushing to the correct length. Then use a boring bar to get it to the correct size. This will be determined by throwing test charges and weighing them. Then enlarging the hole and testing it again. You will get a feel for how many thousands represents what fraction of a grain. You can sneak up on the charge and get it right.

Lead shot reloads are not as critical as steel. That said for the trouble involved of having a friend do it I would just buy a bushing. Get an "M" bushing.

http://www.reloaders.com/alliant.html

You are making it way too hard, take a known bushing, use it to throw charges of the powder that you intend to use. Average 10 of them. Now compute the volume of the bushing that you used. Now figure the volume required to throw the desired amount. Calculate the diameter required to give that volume. Go bore the bushing. Done.

God Bless America<<<< LINK worth clicking

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:30 am 
Crown Grade

Moocher- I don't think that the variations from the mec adapter are dangerous- or even unacceptable for other reasons. I noticed that I got more variation in drops using Universal Clays and the MEC adapter than I did with a PW bushing, so I got out the dial calipers and did some checking. I passed my findings on to my PW distributer and he basically confirmed what I suspected- MEC bushings are about .010 shorter than the PW and you will get more variation in drops with the adaptor.

Coarse grained powders are probably less of an issue- With very fine grained powders such as WC820, that gap between the bushing and the valve plate may lead to problems. I just think that folks should be aware of the potential.

I have an adapter that I used for a while to figure out which hornady or pw bushings I needed to order. I'll probably keep it in case I need to go through some sort of load development. I can get MEC bushings locally, while I have to either order or pick up when I go to Spokane PW or Hornady bushings.

jh

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:25 am 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

Curly is correct in the procedure for figuring a correct size bushing. Just trying to figure out how many thousandths gives you how much additional powder is very inaccurate. Keep in mind you are working with circles here. We are working with squares of radius and the larger the hole the more area a given number of thousandths provides in volume. As you double the dia you cube the area. Boring holes that small in a lathe takes some pretty small boring bars, but they do in fact exist. I have one. Personaly I use a drill bit and an adjustable reamer, but to each his own. If I don't have the size I need I look at the size too light and the size too heavy and compromise somewhere in between. A couple three tenths of a grain of powder one way or the other is moot!

BP