CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Difference between Trap Model and Skeet Model Guns
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:44 pm 
Field Grade

What is the difference between a skeet(or sporting clay gun) and a trap model?

I see some of the trap models have a high comb(monte-carlo).

What I really want to know is, can I shot a winchester trap model (with adj. comb) for skeet? the only difference I see(eye hight doesnt matter since it is adjustable) is it has a wide rib, which I like anyway.

Thanks.

Post subject: re: Trap vs. Skeet Guns?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:27 pm 
Crown Grade

Trap guns are set up to shoot rising targets....thus set up to shoot high.Since skeet targets are at a known distance, and obvious trajectory...as long as you learn to float the target over the barrel, you can use it at skeet....I know several top level skeet shooters who've set their skeet guns up to shoot high, always floating the bird and never having to cover it.They like to be able to always see the target.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:36 pm 
Field Grade

When you say they are set up to shoot high, you mean that the eye is not parallel to the barrel, but higher, right?

I assume by droping the comb, you eye is lower, affectively changing it more like a skeet gun.

Or do you mean the entire stock/barrel is set to shoot high?

This maybe the secret for me anyway, I always wanted to be able to shoot the clay using just the bead and not the barrel. hmmmmm so many options and only one chance!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:07 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Trap guns actually pattern higher than the sight picture you see looking down the rib. Because a trap target is rising so fast in order to lead it vertically, you would have to block it out with the barrel in order to hit it. In other words you wouldn't be able to see the target when you fired. To solve the problem trap guns have a rib that is not parallel to the barrel. It is higher at the breech end than at the muzzle. With the high comb you actually look straight down the rib and put the bead on the target. While the rib is straight the barrel under it is actually cocked up thus building in vertical lead. Skeet guns generally shoot where they look like a field gun. If you use a trap gun at skeet, you'll have to hold under the target and as was said float it. Otherwise you will be shooting over the top of it every time.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:49 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Many trap guns have ribs that slant down in the front but many also have parallel ribs. The majority of skeet shooters want guns that shoot flat or very close to flat, i.e.55/45.

With skeet targets broken very close to 29 yards, a trap gun with a slanting rib that would shoot 4" high at 34 yards, would shoot less than 3" high at 20 yards, so the effect on the sight picture would be minimal.

Trap guns also have longer barrels than skeet or clays guns. 30" with 32" growing in popularity is the norm for over & under trap guns. Skeet gun barrel lengths were 26" but that has increased to 28".

The advantage for a longer barrel is increased shooting accuracy. The flip side of that coin is the wide lateral swings and greater swing speed necessary for skeet shooting and to a lesser degree, with sporting clays targets. Longer barrels are harder to swing fast.

As was mentioned, it is the height of the comb relative to the rib and the slope of the rib (if any) that affects how high guns shoot. A gun with a sloping rib cannot be made to shoot flat or 50/50 because of the slope of the rib.

http://www.stockfitting.com

Author: Stock Fitter's Bible, Second Edition - Gun-fitting & shooting instruction for shooters of all ages and disciplines. http://www.amazon.com in their book section.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:13 pm 

I daresay that 30s are much more common in registered skeet than 28s.

My Blaser, which has a rib that's very near parallel and flat, shoots about 70/30, 'cause it's my skeet gun, and 'cause that's where I like it. That's a function of where my adjustable comb places my eye in relation to the barrel, just like Rollin and others have mentioned above. Staring flat down the rib it'll shoot 50/50. I wish it had a ramp-tamper (or high-post or whatever you call it) so that I could get my head up higher and still maintain the POI I like to see. Maybe my next gun!

Kill 'em all