CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rifled vs smooth barrels for deer hunting ?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:34 pm 
Field Grade

To the knowledgeable this mat seem a stupid question - but
What are the advantages and advantages of rifled vs smooth shotgun barrels for deer shooting. is one more accurate / powerful the other
I am planing to hunt deer this fall ( won tags) and want to do it the best way possible way i.e. clean kills

Many thanks

Post subject: re: Rifled vs smooth barrels for deer hunting ?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:23 pm 
Crown Grade

Fish,

With the smooth bores, you're dealing with the Foster style slugs. They're hollow in the back end and expand to fit the bore of the shotgun when fired. Accuracy wise,maybe 2-3 inches at 50 yds. When ya go to a rifled barrel you use slugs encased in sabots. The rifling put aspin on the bullets,making it more accurate over longer distances. I've seen some that'll shoot 2'' or better at 100yds. Hope this helps ya some.

OH Yeah, to see which slug shoots better from your particular barrel,you'll have to buy and shoot them. You may want to get a PAST recoil pad that straps around your shoulder. It'll keep ya from getting to bruised up from your bench time.

HWD

My Marine kicked cancer's a$$!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:00 pm 
Field Grade

HWD

That was quick !
Many thanks for your reply

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:53 pm 
Tournament Grade

And you can't shoot Shot or Buckshot through a rifled barrel.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:12 am 
Crown Grade

Thanks for catching that. I assumed he was gonna be shooting slugs only and buckshot never entered my mind.

HWD

My Marine kicked cancer's a$$!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:28 am 
Gunsmith
Gunsmith

Just FYI,
I have fitted rifled tubes into standard and thin shotgun barrels to allow the use of slugs, and then convert to turkey hunting, for example, and helped the shooter get double duty from a barrel with sights or a scope attached. That works out to be cheaper than 2 barrels, 2 scopes, and so on.

One guy used a red-dot scope with no magnification to shoot Federal hollow-base cheapo slugs, and had the holes touching or overlapping at 50 yards.
His buddy had me fix his A-5 to have the same red dot and rifled choke, and shooting the same slugs, told me he was getting 4 to 5" groups at 100 yards. That is with no magnification, and a gun with a barrel that strokes back and forth, each shot.

When I talked to the manufacturing engineer at the tube mfg. company and told him of these results, he stated that it would have to be considered at the upper limit of what their tubes could be expected to deliver. You would have to figure that at 100 yards, that the movement of the barrel and the lack of magnification would cause at least a couple of inches in variance, all by themselves. Nobody with typical iron sights would do as well as they would with a magnified image in a scope, and a red-dot would provide similar results.

Do not expect that a rifled tube would be the ticket for high-velocity sabot slug types, though, but would work for almost all of the other types.

When I did a conversion of slug and turkey choke for a Beneli SBE, with a Leupold scope, I figured that the owner saved over $600 compared to a second barrel with scope and special work.

kirbythegunsmith@hotmail.com

Read my other posts.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:36 pm 
Tournament Grade

I too had a choke tube installed in a 18.5" barrel and tried the Hastings low recoil with a rifled tube. Three shot groups at 50 yards were one hole with slight semicircle cutouts on the edges. Well less than 1 inch CTC. With low recoil slugs by B&P or Fiocchi and a imp cyl tube I was able to get under 2" at 50. This was with a weaver side saddle and a 4x scope. Also shot very well with buckshot and turkey shot with the right tubes. I am very pleased.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:36 am 
Field Grade

The rifled slug barrel is far and away the better choice.
With it you should get better accuracy which results in
better groups.
Put a scope/peep-sight, etc on it and now your really good
to go. IMO.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:52 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Where will you be hunting?? I'm also in CT, about an hour or so from New Haven. If you're hunting "private land" you're allowed to use a rifle or shotgun, but if you're hunting state land then it's shotgun only.

I have a Mossberg 535 turkey / deer combo that I got at Dick's a couple of years ago, with the rifled slug barrel, I get consistant groups of 2" or under at 75 yards.

Blue Trail up in Wallingford is a great place to sight in your gun.

Smitty

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:51 am 
Utility Grade

A smooth bore with rifle sights is far and away the most VERSATILE option you can choose for deer hunting......With it you can use rifled slugs, AND buckshot! With rifled slugs and a smooth bore, I get around 2inches at 50yards and 4-5 at 100yds. Yes I know this aint target accuracy....but is this a target gun??? No! Thats PLENTY for field work on deer. And the new Federal truballs are widely acclaimed for much better accuracy. If you buy the rifled bore......your locked into using one type of ammo, sabots, which although more accurate (1-2inches at 100yds), are insanely expensive (2-3 dollars a round!!!). The rifled bore is going to cost much more too!!

Just my $.02

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:18 am 
Tournament Grade

The county I live in in VA doesnot allow rifles or slugs. The only options for deer in terms of firearms are Muzzleloaders and Shotguns. If you use a shotgun it will obviously have to be smooth bore and buck shot all the way. How many of you kill deer regularly with just buck shot? What yardage are the shots usually taken at? What kind of buck shot do you use? I was think of getting some dixie tri-ball this year instead of 00 buck. I can't seem to find 000 buck anywhere. I might not be looking hard enough. I need to save my pennies for a muzzleloader we have a longer season for bows and muzzleloaders.
Ryan

Post subject: Re: re: Rifled vs smooth barrels for deer hunting ?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:10 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

rybu0305 wrote:
The county I live in in VA doesnot allow rifles or slugs. The only options for deer in terms of firearms are Muzzleloaders and Shotguns. If you use a shotgun it will obviously have to be smooth bore and buck shot all the way. How many of you kill deer regularly with just buck shot? What yardage are the shots usually taken at? What kind of buck shot do you use? I was think of getting some dixie tri-ball this year instead of 00 buck. I can't seem to find 000 buck anywhere. I might not be looking hard enough. I need to save my pennies for a muzzleloader we have a longer season for bows and muzzleloaders.
Ryan

Take a look at this post for general over the counter buckshot and for a link to an extensive test on Dixie Tri-Ball.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=100554