CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: price opinion on an Ithaca Model 37
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 10:20 am 
Utility Grade

Lately, I have really had the urge to acquire an Ithaca Model 37 pump or two...

I found the 20 gauge version at a shop around my area...decent wood with the ringtail forearm (which is what I want), and the PolyChoke (which I also like the idea of). The gun is graded by the store at 85%...bore is in good shape, the action is nice and slick while still seeming tight. Points great, fits me well, etc. Everything about it looks original, which brings me to my question...

The blueing is pretty much worn off...there isn't any rust or pitting, and I want the gun to shoot it, not to hang it on the wall...what are your thoughts? They want $250 for it, which is a little steep, going by the grading percentages I have seen elsewhere on the site -- even taking into consideration that it is a 20 gauge with the PolyChoke. I don't know if the PolyChoke was instituted on the first models, but it looks like an early one. I don't want to miss out on the opportunity on getting a gun like this, even if I have to overpay by $25-$50...think I should snap it up, or are these plentiful enough to wait for one that has more of its blueing intact?

Post subject: Re: price opinion on an Ithaca Model 37
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 11:12 am 
Presentation Grade

It is tiem to start dealing here. The fact it does have a poly choke takes value away as far as the selling value. (I my self really like them) If it has a vent rib or even a solid rid that would increase the price. For a plain barrel w/ poly and the fact it sounds like most of the blueing is gone I would start the dealing at $190 tops $225. It the blueing was better then I would go higher. Gun shows are a good place to find older Ithaca 37's at good prices (sometimes, at least one or two).

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 11:17 am 
Utility Grade

Thanks, john305...

You confirmed what I thought to be true, although I didn't know that the PolyChoke would take away value. Do older guns without them pattern better? It seems like a good idea, but must not have worked really well if manufacturers have resorted to screw-in chokes...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 11:31 am 
Field Grade

Agree with John305. If the gun is OK mechanically, I'd go $200 - $225. Although the Poly may not be desirable to some folks, I love them. I have three shotguns with Polys installed and they all pattern well. For hunting, I definitely prefer Poly's over tubes for making quick changes. I'd use the bluing and Poly as bargaining chips. What do you have to lose?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 11:54 am 
Utility Grade

Yeah, as I mentioned...the PolyChoke seems like a really good idea...thanks for the experienced feedback on it, Snuffy...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 1:26 pm 
If you like a polychoke, try to offer less. A good way to get a bit of a discount is tell them you'll pay cash, say $225 with tax included. The most important thing is the bore. Actions can be cleaned and parts replaced. If there is no rust pitting on the gun inside or out and the bore is spotless and you have to pay $250, it was worth it. Without the polychoke, they'd be asking closer to $300. It's not that polychokes don't work or that nobody likes them, they're just a modification to the original condition of the gun and there is a corresponding effect on present value (which is always based on how close to "original condition" the gun is).

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 1:31 pm 
By the way, imagine how long you'd have to look if you were trying to find a 20 gauge Model 37 with 2X" barrel and Polychoke? It would take a long time and you would probably pay a premium just because you were looking for it. If you want a polychoke, consider yourself lucky to find this gun at $250.00. The alternative would be to pay $300 for a gun without it and then take it to a gunsmith and pay $50-$100 more to have a polychoke (or tubes) installed. Buy it!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 2:09 pm 
Presentation Grade

First I love my Poly choked A-5 it is my do everything gun. The reason or at least the biggest is Alot of people seem to think it is ugly. And on a new Beretta 391 it would be. Second is they will not fit on double barrel guns so they have to use screw in chokes.

Well "Poly chokes" were an after market item that is perm. attached to the barrel. Since it has been altered from stock the value decreases. Some manufactures did have there own adj. choke like Mossberg and J.C. Higgens. There was also the Cutts comp. that offered the ability to change the chokes, now IMO that is a very ugly setup. Plus a few others along the way.

Patterns with the poly choke are just fine I would bet that if you got really picky the fixed choke barrels would pattern better but that would really be splitting hairs.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 2:14 pm 
Limited Edition

I'm wondering if the blue job on older Model 37's was really all that good. I have a Model 37 that was made in 1951. Not a ding on the gun, stock is fine, but the blueing is best described as "thin". While the reciever is pretty dark gray/blue the barrel is almost in the white, very light gray.

So, I'm not sure that the blue job in early Model 37's held up very well, as it doesn't look like my gun was shot very much at all, but it's far from mint.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 2:16 pm 
Limited Edition

Oh, I suggest you buy the gun. Dicker a little, you'll feel better if you at least try. But if the gun is the one that you want you'll hate yourself if you pass it up.

After all $25 is only a steak dinner with a glass of wine plus tip.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 2:39 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks, Germster...

True, I know we aren't talking about that much money...I would gladly give up 5 dinners out to have a "new" old gun! :)

Mmmmm...steak....