CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tiger striping?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:27 am 
Utility Grade

I am in the processing of re doing a stock on an old .22 J.C. Higgins Marlin. I'm still kind of new on refinishing stocks. It's not my first but there's always room for improvement. What would it take to tiger stripe the stock? I've heard just a torch but I'm kind of skeptical here. Experience anyone?

Post subject: re: Tiger striping?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:39 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The wood grew that way... there's nothing you can do to MAKE them if they aren't already there. Stay away from the torch...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:09 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Tiger Stripe is a natural grain pattern, but there are ways to fake it. I've never done it, though.

Many years ago (more years than I care to admit) I read somewhere that it could be done by soaking a cord in kerosine and wrapping it around the stock in a spiral pattern, and setting it on fire. I suppose you would need to know what kind of cord to use, and how to turn the stock as it burned to get it to burn and mark the wood evenly. I would be afraid to try it without detailed instructions, and preferably seeing someone else do it. You would also need to know how to wrap it so as to get the stripes to look natural. It would take a bit of artistry, and I am no artist!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:45 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Seamus, I too have read that burning cords or rope were used in the past, even on some old muzzle loaders sporting the tiger stripe patterns. Also tar, or tar like substances, were applied, maybe fired, then scraped/sanded off, with some remaining stain.

I actually tried that type thing quite a few years back, with pretty good results. I just used dark brown shoe polish, (depending on the stock color and darkness desired, less contrast is better than too much!), left it on a couple of days, then lightly sanded it and applied the finish. Works better than the torch, which one should again sand lightly after using, but the problem there is the scorched wood sands at a different rate than the un-scorched wood. That will leave slight waves in the wood, if you are not careful.

Clyde

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:50 am 
Utility Grade

Howdy - I am an experienced woodworker, and I work with a lot of curly maple (my favorite wood). I've never done it, but I've heard the same thing as Seamus about using cord wrapping - but it sounds risky - hard to back out of that after you've done it! Another thought I've had is that you could mask the stock with tape in a stripe pattern (no strait lines though!), and apply a coat or two of stain, then remove the tape and apply a coat or two more, thus making some color variation.

I really don't recommend any of the above unless you're dead set on it. The really beautiful thing about a curly grain is its 3-dimensional appearance, and the way the pattern seems to change with shifting light. You just can’t fake that.

Whatever you decide to try - experiment on scrap first. I can tell you from painful experience that you don't want to try sanding off a botched finish

Post subject: Re: re: Tiger striping?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:06 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

SteveBB wrote:
Another thought I've had is that you could mask the stock with tape in a stripe pattern (no strait lines though!), and apply a coat or two of stain, then remove the tape and apply a coat or two more, thus making some color variation.

Whatever you decide to try - experiment on scrap first. I can tell you from painful experience that you don't want to try sanding off a botched finish

Yep, but no tape, just free hand it, nature doesn't use tape. Just apply with something like one of those old liquid shoe polish daubers, or a "Q" tip. Even widen the Q tip path and wiggle a bit to make it look more natural. You don't want it "even or precise" in any way. If you are using stain on the whole stock, it might work to use two different kinds or shades as well.

And of course, the scrap experiment is a good idea.

Clyde

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:17 am 
Utility Grade

Ya know - jugchoke makes a good point. I'm always trying to be too precise. I'm looking at a piece of woodwork with curly maple right now, and "stripes" really isn't a good description anyway - alternating variations that start and stop at random intervals is closer. See pic below:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:27 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

SteveBB, Beeeutiiifullll!

Clyde

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:17 pm 
Presentation Grade

Tiger striping is optically variable, depending on the viewing angle. Faux striping will be very obvious.

I think you can do some enhancement of grain - darkening mineral lines, adding some orange to some areas, making others dark. etc. It's not easy, but can be done.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:11 pm 
Utility Grade

Steve,that is some amazing work bud! Thanks for the info everyone,I believe this one is gonna get about 6 coats of dark cherry until i get some experimenting done with some scrap pieces.
Thanks again guys!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:58 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I know that muzzle loader makers will do that with some woods. It was my understanding that they spaced the rope and used a torch on the wood in the spaces and that the rope protected the wood that you wanted kept light in color. The other was scorched and it finished darker. A poor mans fiddle back stock.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:57 pm 
Limited Edition

SteveBB,
WOW!!! Beee-U-Tee-Full!!!!!!!!!!!

GREAT job Steve!

Rays

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:30 pm 
Field Grade

On a flight to Japan in the late 1970's, an executive at the Sakaba factory that makes SKB's told me that they do a lot of simulated wood grain to make the stocks better looking. The designs were hand drawn by experts in that field, according to my source. I bought a model 300 SKB that really looked good and upon closer look it appeared to be hand drawn. I wouldn't have noticed it had he not mentioned it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:33 pm 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

The old master gunsmiths that hand made the ole' Kentucky, Tennessee, and Pennsylvania rifles used to do that a lot. They used either the burn method or a chemical method. They soaked the rope with a copper sulfide if memory serves correctly. None correctly it doesn't look to bad on a plain old straight grain stock like most maple tends to be.

BP

Post subject: Re: re: Tiger striping?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:01 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

SteveBB wrote:
Ya know - jugchoke makes a good point. I'm always trying to be too precise. I'm looking at a piece of woodwork with curly maple right now, and "stripes" really isn't a good description anyway - alternating variations that start and stop at random intervals is closer. See pic below:

Those light colored panels are quilted maple an very beautiful I might add.

Did you build the pc.? If so, thats top quality woodworking at its best in my opinion. Very nice work..... :wink: Thanks for showing it.

Skeet aren't hard to hit, just easy to miss....!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:35 am 
Utility Grade

Thanks very much - I did build it. I designed it around that particular Quilted Maple board. I was lucky - it was just thick enough to resaw to get the bookmatched panels.

Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:33 am 
Field Grade

sawgunner79,

A web search on "Simulated Tiger Stripe" returns mostly painted simulations. The only firearm was on an auction board and is no longer available.

None of the longrifles that I have found in the standard reference texts (Schumway, Whisker, Kindig, Alexander, Dixon, Buchele) show any simulated tiger striped firearms, or reference that sort of finish on a longrifle.

That is probably a carefully selected sample of examples to make it into those publications however.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:57 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Henry Leman built many rifles using an artificial tiger stripe. His stripes were painted on with a special brush. He was a Lancaster gunsmith during the 1830's through the 1850's, building rifles for the Indian trade and the westward movement.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:21 pm 
Crown Grade

Some of the most beautiful tiger stripe I have seen was used in making pallets. Supposedly there is little commercial value for this wood. What a shame.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:49 pm 
Utility Grade

I've seen a few old percussion rifles with the tiger striped stocks and i just fell in love with them. That's pretty much the only reason I have for wanting to learn. Haha I don't know,I'm just easily amused I guess!!!!