CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: First Time Out, Charles Daly Youth Semi-Auto 20ga
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:54 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I’ll start by stating this Charles Daly 20ga semi-auto built by Akkar in Turkey came out of the box well oiled and surprisingly clean. This shotgun is an all black plastic stocked model and really does have a decent finish considering it’s a $300 dollar firearm. After an initial thorough first cleaning and oiling, my friend Ron, his son and I got this shotgun on the range this morning & tonight. Here's the 20ga ammunition we used:

Remington Gun Club 2-3/4”, 7/8oz. 8-shot (100-rounds)
Remington Game Load 2-3/4”, 7/8oz. 7&1/2-shot (25-rounds)
Federal Field and Target 2-3/4”, 7/8oz. 7&1/2-shot (100-rounds)
Federal Game Shok High Brass 2-3/4”, 1oz. 6-shot (50-rounds)
Winchester Super Target 2-3/4”, 7/8oz. 7&1/2-shot (50-rounds)
Foicchi Golden Pheasant 3”, 1&1/4oz. 6-shot (6-rounds)
Sellier & Bellot Field Load 2-2/4”, 7/8oz. 7&1/2-shot (6-rounds)

This shotgun fired & cycled every type/brand shell we tried on this list mentioned above 100% every time except for the Winchester Super Target value pack shells at first. The Winchester Super Target failer rate ejecting was 2 out 3 times for about the first 200 rounds fired through this shotgun. After a quick field cleanning at the 200 or so count total, the Winchester shells also started cycling through this Charles Daly with no problems. One of our club members was amazed at how this Charles Daly cycles without mounting the shotgun. He fired this shotgun several times holding the shotgun one armed away from his body with Federal Field and Target loads and this little shotgun cycled every time.

As mentioned, this shotgun is a youth model so it made it tough for many of our adult club members to shoot this short little shotgun consistently well. One thing for sure about this Charles Daly semi-auto 20ga… If you like a super lightweight semi-auto for walking all day, this shotgun might be your ticket. The youth model we tested has a 22” barrel and only weighs 5-3/8oz. This shotgun in the 20ga adult model with a 24” barrel only weighs 5-5/8oz., everyone at our club agreed that this little 20ga indeed has the handling characteristics of the Franchi AL48 20/28ga or the Benelli Montefeltro 20ga .

My friend son is a solid built 9-year old and he didn’t have any problems with the recoil or handling of this shotgun. No doubt because of the lighter weight of this firearm, if you have a smaller framed child or woman this shotgun can really pack a wallop with some of the heavier field or magnum loads. So take this into consideration if you are interested in this shotgun. We also checked and one can purchase an adult size rear back stock direct from KBI-Charles Daly for $47.90.

Operationally wise, we had no problems with this shotgun working properly so far at the little over 300 rounds mark... (Except for the Winchester Super Target shells at first). The safety is at the rear of the trigger guard (Remington style) and works very well. The trigger works decently for a field gun. The bolt cocking hold and release buttons also work without any problems. All three choke tubes (F,M,IC) are easily installed or removed without any problems. The gun has a decent finished vent rib and only 1 standard bead on the very end of the barrel. This shotgun has the best plug design I’ve ever personally seen on any semi-auto shotgun. It slides effortlessly in or out the end of the magazine tube with no problems worring about the magazine spring or retainer cap flying off. This shotgun loads easily and shells feed into the magazine tube very well. There is no sharp tooling edges as well to cut your fingers on inside the receiver. The gun is easily cleaned for a gas autoloader. I also liked the fact that this shotgun comes with a pilot hole mark if one wants to install a sling post on the rear stock. It's a nice touch that they have taken the guess work out of drilling the stock in the proper place.

After 300+ rounds, this little semi-auto indeed has a long way to go… So far, this brand new Charles Daly Field Hunter gas semi-auto is one of the best values we have seen for a lighter 20ga semi-auto. The gun cycles properly and everything has worked for a new shotgun out of the box. Many of our club members shot this little shotgun and indeed couldn’t get over the initial performance & overall quality of this 20ga for $300. So far everyone today at our club has pretty much given this shotgun an A+ at this point. It dose appear that Charles Daly/Akkar has solved the problems earlier versions of this model had a few years ago from our first impressions today... This is also what our local gunshop is claiming as well. We are going to take this shotgun to the pattern board next week. I keep everyone posted on how well this Charles Daly 20ga semi-auto dose there.

Post subject: re: First Time Out, Charles Daly Youth Semi-Auto 20ga
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:59 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Great report!! Glad to hear it is working good for you.

Do you have any pics??

I'm curious to see how closely it resembles the new Smith & Wesson 20GA... I have a friend in Turkey that says the Charles Daly's come from the same area as the S&W. FWIW, the S&W is supposedly a copy of the Beretta 303...

Here is a pic of the S&W (looks like a 12GA in the photo), from their web page:

http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/Sm ... _Black.jpg

Smitty

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:33 am 
Utility Grade

After reading JDS's overview of the Charles Daley Youth model 20 ga, semi-automatic I couldn't agree more. The article touched upon almost every aspect we as shooters would like to know before purchasing a specific firearm. I like the idea that with the availability of the adult stock (at a modest cost) the gun will be a lifetime companion for the young shooter and will always be his FIRST gun. When the time comes to purchase that $1,500 autoloader he will look back and wonder why it cost so much! One thing JDS didn't mention is Charles Daly provides a lifetime guarantee with this gun.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:54 am 

Bloody good review!

Amassing a stockpile of shotshells

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:32 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Charles Daly will also send you a call tag if your gun needs service and pays the shipping both ways.

I am beginning to want one. Might just break bad and get a 20 gauge. My hunting club members are mostly Remington and Browning guys but a few have tried the 12 gauge CD and had real problems. Then one of them bought a 20 gauge and has nothing but praise for it.

Our guys will try anything one time. They, including me, tried the Stoeger 2000 about three years ago but gave up on it. I am beginning to hear some better reports on it. Seems that there are some improvements quality wise. If only Stoeger made it in 20 gauge---!

Love me when I least deserve it, because that is when I really need it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:35 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Great review. I had heard a guy who is a coach for the local SCTP talk kindly about them, but he surely didn't give the detailed report that you posted here. :D

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:03 pm 
Diamond Grade

I recommended the Stoeger 2000 to a friend that wanted a cheap auto. He hasn't put more than a few hundred rounds through it. He is starting to have trouble with the bolt closing all the way. It messed up 4 times on doubles on our last skeet game.

Post subject: Re: re: First Time Out, Charles Daly Youth Semi-Auto 20ga
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:15 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Smitty in CT wrote:
Do you have any pics??

I'm curious to see how closely it resembles the new Smith & Wesson 20GA... I have a friend in Turkey that says the Charles Daly's come from the same area as the S&W.

Smitty in CT, here's a look at the Charles Daly semi-auto 20ga youth model my friend bought for his son. If you click on the shotgun it will enlarge the photo.

http://www.charlesdaly.com/images/firea ... lack_L.jpg

I don't know if Smith & Wesson use's the same shotgun builder or not. I agree they do look very similar though. The only fact I know is Akkar in Istanbul Turkey builds this shotgun for Charles Daly.

http://www.akkar.com.tr/

I can't get the English site to work so it's a pretty sketchy proposition trying to figure any decent information out. But one can look at the pictures...:lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:54 pm 
Crown Grade

Thanks for the review jds. A few years back when I was looking for a 20ga. autoloader, I looked for reviews on the CD. It was being sold at Walmart at the time, for under $300 or thereabouts. The reviews I read were not glowing though, and I passed on it. I got the impression, valid or not, that if something broke on it, it would be hard to find parts or even someone willing to work on it.

One thing seems to be constant - the cheap winchester lead loads with the steel heads seem to present the most problems in repeating shotguns.

Jeremiah

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:10 pm 
Limited Edition

Don't draw too much from the supposed similarity to the Berettas. According to Charles Daly, the safety is NOT reversible for left handed shooters. Just a note to you Southpaws out there.

Great review.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:01 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I see they do make a left hand model... 12ga only, black model 24" 26" 28" barrel lengths. Max-4 HD, 28" barrel length only.

http://www.charlesdaly.com/images/firea ... _large.jpg

Post subject: Re: re: First Time Out, Charles Daly Youth Semi-Auto 20ga
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:27 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

jds wrote:
I see they do make a left hand model... 12ga only, black model 24" 26" 28" barrel lengths. Max-4 HD, 28" barrel length only.

Sure wish they'd make a left handed 20 ga.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:19 am 
Limited Edition

How about a left hand 28? or a reversible safety on all of them!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:58 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I can feel the lefty shotgunners pain. Can't figure why Charles Daly or anyone else doesn't build a left handed smaller gauge lightweight semi-auto. I realize the machine/tooling cost vs overall sales factor scenario... One would still think the firearm company that would pull this feat off possibly might have an advantage regarding overall sales after manufacturing costs. Especially at a lower price range like this Charles Daly semi-auto mentioned here. I believe many lefty's would give this shotgun a chance in the smaller gauge configuration. As for a reversible saftey... I don't think I'd care for shells ejecting across in front of my face. Then again when one is stuck being a natural lefty in a right handed world. One has to learn to cope... This indeed sucks in this current day/age in my opinion.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:40 am 
Limited Edition

You never notice the shell ejection. But the left hand action is a lot easier to handle in general, e.g., no rotating one way to load the chamber and the other way to load the magazine. And it's nice to have the bolt handle stick out away from your body!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:04 am 
Field Grade

Excellent review, we just got back from our local range with my boys new C.D. 20 ga. youth pump in the soft camo and my old tried (not that old going on its 5th season soon) and true C.D. 20 ga. semi auto, and once again not a single issue at the range, my gun has been proven, but I was really out there to test the new pump out, my boy fell in love with it, very light gun, kick was not bad, really could not tell much difference between it and my auto, the gun mounts very nice and fast, pump was smooth, heck for $ 159 at Wallys, I think we stole the gun !!! I've had Rem. pumps before, but we just really like this new one, hope he lets me shoot it more....lol ! >>> Oh and a Adult stock is free with the C.D.'s according to my upgrade warranty card *** P.S.,....I just posted some new pics in the Range Gallery,other, and bird gallery with the guns, yeah thats goofy me in the purple tank top and camo shorts, I like to ham it up on the range.