CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hull identification
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:37 pm 
Utility Grade

I am trying to identify the Remington black hull in 12 Ga. Picked up a couple of Flats from Walmart. 12ga.7.5, 1 1/8 oz.
"Sporting/Game load"

Alliant and Hogdon list several different Rem. 12 Ga.Hulls-
Gun club plastic
Black Unibody
Black Beauty unibody
STS
Nitro

Looks like -12 GA 2-3/4" BLACK BEAUTY UNIBODY LMH 8pt
may be the correct choice ?

Then onto Wads,I do not see this hull listed at mentioned sites.

I purchased some R12L,RXP12 and R12H Wads.

I also ordered Lymans shotshell manual.

Post subject: re: Hull identification
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:44 pm 
Crown Grade

All current/modern Remington hulls use STS data.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:08 pm 
Presentation Grade

not true
Quote:

Post subject: Re: re: Hull identification
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:18 pm 

baltz526 wrote:
not true
Quote:

Please explain

God Bless America<<<< LINK worth clicking

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:42 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Baltz526,

There are only two basic cases that Remington uses in their current loaded ammo. The STS case and the Unibody SP case.

The STS ammo and the Nitro 27's are the same exact case, while all other ammo uses the Unibody SP case. This includes the Gun Clubs and the various hunting and general purpose loads marketed under the Remington Shur-Shot label.

The Unibody SP cases can be Green or Black and may have either 6 or 8 petal crimps. All are the exact same case and STS load data can be used for all Unibody SP cases.

In the past there was some data listed for the SP cases specifically. However the differences were so minute that it was of no real consequence and today all data is actually lumped together. STS data is applicable to all Remington cases now in production, or that have been in production for the past 20 years.

DLM

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:16 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Remington also makes SP hulls for hunting loads,
high metal head, in lead and steel shot, rem HD shot, etc.
that may be volumetrically different than any low brass unibody SP.I'm not certain of this,
but it would seem reasonable that the volumes would vary.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:35 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Didn't Remington just dabble in having some shells (Gun Clubs?) made by RIO or some other foreign manufacturer? And if so, these would be different shells altogether wouldn't they?

"If we could somehow bottle the Brittany's energy and spirit, we'd solve most of the world's problems, if not all of them"
NSSA #165694
Bud

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:53 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Equismith wrote:
Didn't Remington just dabble in having some shells (Gun Clubs?) made by RIO or some other foreign manufacturer? And if so, these would be different shells altogether wouldn't they?
Yes, the UMC's, hopefully everyone tossed them.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:07 am 
Utility Grade

Appreciate the info.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:22 am 
Presentation Grade

D L Marcum wrote:
Baltz526,

There are only two basic cases that Remington uses in their current loaded ammo. The STS case and the Unibody SP case.

The STS ammo and the Nitro 27's are the same exact case, while all other ammo uses the Unibody SP case. This includes the Gun Clubs and the various hunting and general purpose loads marketed under the Remington Shur-Shot label.

The Unibody SP cases can be Green or Black and may have either 6 or 8 petal crimps. All are the exact same case and STS load data can be used for all Unibody SP cases.

In the past there was some data listed for the SP cases specifically. However the differences were so minute that it was of no real consequence and today all data is actually lumped together. STS data is applicable to all Remington cases now in production, or that have been in production for the past 20 years.

DLM
this is good to know, now i can just load all my remington hulls with the exact same loads for ultra fast steel hunting loads, with no worrys for pressure differences between hulls. by just adjusting my wad column. yellow base wad, black base wad, tall yellow base wad hulls and sts will all be the same. 2 3/4" 2 7/8" and 3" hulls all the same sts data.( NO I DO NOT THINK I'LL DO THIS) the new lymans 5th edition shows two hulls made by remington. the sts tapered and the yellow basewad strait wall in 2 3/4" and two differnt base wad 3" hulls. then in the lymans 5th edition on pages 152/153/154 it has non sts load data in 2 3/4" 1/4" base wad hulls. page 125 has .200" base wad 3" hull loads. for lead shot. page 306 has non sts data for 2 3/4" steel shot, page 341 has hevi shot non sts data. page 298 has 3" steel non sts data