CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: E. SCHMIDT & HABERMAN 16 GA DOUBLE BARREL - VALUE?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:55 pm 
Utility Grade

I need a value check and any info on a Double Barrell Shotgun that has been passed down from my wife's grandfather. It's an old E. Schmidt & Haberman 16 Gauge double barrell. The barrells are 29". On the top of the barrells it's stamped - SPECIAL-GEWEHR-LAUF-FRIED KRUPP AG - STAHL - ESSEN

The forward handguard is removable and the numbers 58.8.26 SS are stamped on each barrell and the serial number is 41148. It also has 1 circle with two circles under it, kind of like the olympic rings, on the barrell's. Dual triggers. We know that this gun was a bringback from Germany during the war. This gun has awesome engraving in the metal and it was brought to a local collector and he offered up $1650 right off the bat and you got the feeling the shotty is worth more than that. I have pics, but cant post on this site. Can anyone offer any information on this firearm? Thanks

Post subject: re: E. SCHMIDT & HABERMAN 16 GA DOUBLE BARREL - VALUE?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:57 am 
Crown Grade

Side by Sides of the World for Y2K says E. Schmidt and Habermann were of Suhl, Germany from 1870 until about 1940. It appears to be a well made gun, but parts may be hard to come by if ever needed. There is some information on the internet regarding this company, including books and some guns. One rifle is listed for sale in the $2,500 range. It appears that the company made many types of guns. Personally, if I owned the gun, I would buy the book to go along with it, do some more research, and you are inclined to sell it, check around with other dealers, especially those knowledgable of side by sides. I think the gun is probably worth twice as much as offered, maybe more, if in shootable and excellent condition.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:34 am 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

The "Krupp AG" etc. refers to the steel thst the barrels were made of. The steel came from Krupp AG of Essen,Germany. The Krupp company's symbol is the interlocked circles to some look similar to the Oylmpic symbol. In fact, they represent railroad wheels. Railroad wheels were one of Krupp's biggest selling products along with ordance steel and many other basic steel items.

If you can post pictures of the proof marks, we may be able to tell you more about your gun. Gerhard Wirnberger's exellent book "The Standard Directory of Proof Marks" is a good source for German proof house marks. Also, "The Arms of Krupp" will tell you the whole story of that company from the 1500's until modern times.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:43 pm 
Utility Grade

Here's what I know of the gun. Made in July 1926 , the 588th barrels proofed by the Suhl Proof house that year. Looks to have overhanging safety sears (high screw in upper rear of action)a sign of higher quality work. Not much left of the barrel blue and it appears the stock may have had a coat of varnish applied, horn trigger guard, cheekpiece and sling swivels,marked Nitro on frameplate, under barrels, German proofmarks, Krupp three ring steel barrels (very high grade),Horn trigger guard, Scalloped Boxlock action with a Greener style crossbolt.This is some info from another site. Please let me know if any of you guys can add to the gun, and a ballpark value. I cant figure out how to post pics, can anyone post them for me? I have better close-ups of the engraving.Thanks, Ron

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:12 pm 
Crown Grade

Looks like you figured out how to post pictures. You can also post them to the Photo's section on this site. Beautiful gun. I should be so lucky!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:24 pm 
Utility Grade

I still can't download the other pics that show a better example of the engraving. I just pulled these pics from another site. My computer's not letting me download the new pics.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:16 pm 
Utility Grade

Think I got it. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:36 pm 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

That is a nice doublegun. It is very hard to place a value on these guns. Many were brought back by GIs after WWII.

If I had to guess, I'd say that the gun might bring in the $800 to $1000 range.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:53 pm 
Utility Grade

The local collector / shop around here offered up $1650 and was a little too anxious to get his hands on it. I've been told the wholesale would be $1500-$2000 and retail "could" be $2200-$3000, to a collector specializing in 16 gauge.

Post subject: Re: E. SCHMIDT & HABERMAN 16 GA DOUBLE BARREL - VALUE?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:06 pm 
Utility Grade

I also have this same type double barrel side by side shotgun in 12 Ga. but I don't know what it is worth. They is little information to be found. Mine says SPECIAL-GEWEHR-LAUF STAHL followed by FRIED KRUPP A.G. ESSEN choke 183 123.25 with same type engraving,
SN# 83962 and then there are a lot of proof markings. Does anyone know the value ?