CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: STORING YOUR SHOTGUN QUESTION
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:49 pm 
Field Grade

I WAS WONDERING IF IT IS BETTER TO LEAVE THE BOLT FORWARD AND CHAMBER CLOSED OR BOLT BACK AND CHAMBER OPEN WHEN STORING YOUR SHOTGUN?OR IF IT MATTERS.THANKS

Post subject: re: STORING YOUR SHOTGUN QUESTION
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:42 pm 
Presentation Grade

The way I've always looked at it is, at least for autos, bolt/chamber closed. That way no debris gets in and there's no pressure on the spring.

Post subject: Re: re: STORING YOUR SHOTGUN QUESTION
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:51 pm 
Presentation Grade

krimmie wrote:
The way I've always looked at it is, at least for autos, bolt/chamber closed. That way no debris gets in and there's no pressure on the spring.

I'm with him ! I leave the bolt closed and release the trigger.

Leeboy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:41 pm 
Limited Edition

Bolt closed, release the trigger --

But even more important, and it seems obvious: If you're shooting in the rain, take the gun apart and dry it off. WD-40 is about water repellent. It's not "oil" but wiping down keeps the rust away.

If you go from a cold gun outside to a warm house, you'll get condensation on the gun. Also, take it out of the case and store the case open where it can get some ventilation and dry out.

I wipe my barrels, receiver and fore-end down and set them inside where they can warm up and dry out. THEN, I put it together and store it.

But then I'm shooting in Oregon where we get 100 inches precipitation a year, mostly on the days when we're shooting.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:12 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I store them barrel down with the bolt forward. I also keep most in silicone gun socks. If I know they will be stored for a while I put more oil on them than if they will be used soon. Before using again they need to be cleaned of the excess oil. I also use a product called G-96 gun treatment and have had good results with it.

"I dare do all that may become a man; Who dares do more , is none"
Bill S.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:07 pm 

krimmie wrote:

Ditto.

Amassing a stockpile of shotshells

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:59 am 
Field Grade

keep your bolt closed and your gun oiled.
just give it a wipe now and then in the field with a gun rag,then when you get home take it apart and do a full job.i live in bc where tho only times we shoot is /humid so very humid/pi$$in rain/ 6feet of snow. this method has kept my model 870 wingmaser made in 1951 in fine condition through the harshest conditions.
it ain't rocket science boys! :B3 {hs#

...the glory of the o/u - sxs

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:43 am 
Tournament Grade

Count me among those who stores his shotguns with bolts closed and triggers released. In fact, when applicable, I keep all of my firearms stored in that configuration even though their are those who contend that releasing spring pressures is totally unneccessary. And I never return a firearm to storage after handling it without a wipe-down with an oily rag.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:01 pm 
Field Grade

for those of you who store your guns with the trigger released, do you dry fire or use snap caps?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:15 pm 
Presentation Grade

Wilks54 wrote:
for those of you who store your guns with the trigger released, do you dry fire or use snap caps?

I used to use snap caps but I've stopped now as I really dont see the need and the gunsmiths I use have all said that in modern guns there is nothing to gain by using them.

Leeboy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:25 pm 
Tournament Grade

I use snap caps on my double- maybe I should be using them on all of my firearms? :?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:28 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Yep, bolt closed and trigger released. I've also heard the same regarding snap caps that Leeboy mentioned with modern pumps and semis, although I use my snap caps since I already have them. Gun Rig grease is also excellent for protecting metal surfaces of your firearms for very long term storage situations. This stuff has really worked well in the past for me in my old farm house.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:34 pm 
Utility Grade

I store my gun with the bolt closed. When i go to the dove field where there can be a lot of people I will bring back the bolt and open the chamber so the people can see there is no ammunition in the gun while im in the parking lot.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:41 pm 
I have one shotgun, a Wingmaster 12ga. I use it for sport and home defense. I clean every time I come home and it's been fired. I store it magazine loaded, bolt closed, safety on, trigger not released. The reason I don't release the trigger is because I like the added security of having the pump locked. I'm open to suggestions on a better setup.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:14 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

On their semi-autos, Beretta recommends you retract the bolt about 1" and pull the trigger to "release the hammer". It seems to significently lesson the firing pin spring energy as compared to pulling the trigger with the bolt closed.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:54 pm 
Diamond Grade

Location: Tom Green, Runnels, Coke and other counties out here
Like the others on here, bolt forward, hammers dropped on snap caps.
I got the brass snap caps w/ the mop on the end. I've soaked the mops with Break-Free or VCI Rust Inhibitor to help keep rust off it, then store them barrel down.