CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Question about the Mossberg 500 C-Lect choke system
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:32 pm 
Utility Grade

I have a simple question for the experts about the C-Lect choke of my old Mossbeg 500 just purchased last week-end(the denomination is precisely the M550 ABD, a rebranded Westernfield model sold long time ago by the Montgomery Ward stores).

The gun shop gunsmith gave me a weird explanation of how it works..it told me there is a mark on the twist sleeve edge (that I could barely see and I think is just a scratch mark....) that has to be brought in line with the Full, Mod or Cyl marks on the little plate on top of the barrel muzzle. But I think that is rather the edge of the sleeve itself that has to be brought in line with these 3 marks (the 3 marks on the plate, infact, are 3 small segment parallel with the twist sleeve edge and placed at different depth).

Fully twisted rearward should be full choke (actually even more restricted because the sleeve edge pass the full mark), twisted full forward is open barrel (again, like the full choke mark, the sleeve can be twisted forward way over the Cyl mark, basically you can unscrew the sleeve off).

The "mark" on the edge explanation by the gunsmith doesn't make sense to me because the twisting of the sleeve to align this hypotetical mark would be very little.

Unless that mark on the sleeve, if it is a specific purpose made mark, has to be aligned with the labeled marks on the plate once the sleeve edge is aligned itself with the plate marks...

I apologize for the long and winded message (trying to describe with words a physical operation is hard ;-) ) and for the question that probably will sound stupid to many people but I just want to play safe and I do not want to ruin my gun or, worse, get injured....

Regards

Dominic

Post subject: re: Question about the Mossberg 500 C-Lect choke system
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:08 am 
Utility Grade

Dominic, I'm by far not an expert, though I've owned one, a New Haven Arms, 20 guage from birth. I've used it for over 20 years and being a dumb kid I didn't always keep it set where the marks (mine are very visible) say they should be, as of yet I've yet to blow my barrel up. I've even cranked it all the way down for super full for shots at pheasants that were standing in the middle of a cut hayfield and still no damage to the barrel. I wouldn't be worried, but I'm interested now as to what the experts have to say. Good luck with it!

Post subject: Re: Question about the Mossberg 500 C-Lect choke system
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:20 am 
Field Grade

when was the mossberg 500 C made?

Anyone??

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:09 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Location: It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to. (1931)
The following was in the owners manual, and I set in bold the instructions concerning the factory scratch mark. Good luck, sir.

Quote:

The C-LECT-CHOKE adjustment is instant and positive. Heretofore, the average shooter had the selection of buying guns with four different degrees of choke; the FULL CHOKE, for long range shooting of 40 yards or over; the MODIFIED, for medium range shooting from 30 to 35 yards; the IMPROVED CYLINDER, for close range shooting of 20 to 30 yards; and the FULL CYLINDER, for very close range shooting up to 20 yards. The C-LECT-CHOKE gives you the choice of these four degrees of choke plus any in between adjustment that may be desired.

To set the C-LECT-CHOKE for FULL CHOKE (FULL) turn the adjusting sleeve until the rear edge of the sleeve "A" touches the front edge of the line just ahead of the word "FULL" on the index plate "B". For MODIFIED (MOD) or IMPROVED CYLINDER (I. CYL.) settings turn the sleeve "A" to the lines ahead of these words on the index plate. The sleeve may be set to any of these chokes or to any point in between to obtain any degree of choke desired. To adjust to FULL CYLINDER BORE, which is for extra close shooting, turn the adjusting sleeve one full turn beyond IMPROVED CYLINDER. NEVER SHOOT THE GUN WITH THE CHOKE TURNED ANY FURTHER THAN CYLINDER BORE AND NEVER SHOOT THE GUN WITHOUT THE ADJUSTING SLEEVE IN PLACE. NEVER ADJUST CHOKE WHEN GUN IS LOADED.

Rifled slugs and buckshot can be used in the C-LECT-CHOKE at any setting. For best results we recommend that it be set at CYLINDER BORE.

For cleaning and oiling, the adjustment sleeve can he removed by turning it all the way off the threads and pulling off.

Removing any accumulation of lead assures better patterns.

HOW TO MAKE YOUR OWN SETTINGS

If, for any reason, the index plate "B" is removed and you lose your setting, you will find underneath the index plate, a scratch mark which was put on at the factory. By turning the adjusting sleeve "A" up to this scratch mark, you automatically have a FULL CHOKE setting. You can then insert the index plate under the sleeve "A" until the FULL CHOKE line comes even to the edge of sleeve "A" and then put in and tighten sight "C".

FORM NO. 1686

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:26 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Location: It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to. (1931)
So you were correct about the segment edges on the index plate. The gunsmith was probably fuzzy about what he was taught about the scratch mark. Also, remember that the "C-Lect-Choke" is not suitable for steel shot at any setting. Even full open is likely to fracture one of the fingers.