CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Harrington & Richardson Double Barrel Shotgun
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:43 pm 
Utility Grade

I have an H&R double barrell shotgun made between 1885 and 1887. It is serial #1678 of 3500 made. It is the highest grade with marble cake French Walnut stock with fine checkering. I inherited the gun and want to find out what it is worth if finished to a like new condition. I have had a gunsmith look at it but could not give me much info on the value. Thanks for your help. :)

Post subject: re: Harrington & Richardson Double Barrel Shotgun
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:22 am 
Crown Grade

The value would depend on knowing the exact grade, condition and options. Even so, a good restoration can be very pricy and generally doesn't add all that much value to the gun, depending on what's done and who does the work. Many times you will have more money tied up after a restoration than the gun is worth. In your case, although H&Rs were good utility guns and can serve as good shooters, they are not as desirable as some other American doubles.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:17 am 
Utility Grade

Thanks SS for your reply. The guy that does the restoration certainly appears capable but the cost was estimated at $2000. He needs to file the wood to get out some gauges in the stock which appears to be very nice wood. The barrels have an engraving on them which he said would need to be etched to bring back the design. He also mentioned color hardening the action part of the gun to make it like new. He appears to be more excited than me to restore the gun. His name is Ed Stukbauer and has been restoring guns for over 50 years and operates out of Lake Norman Sporting Arms. As you suggest, I would probably have more into the gun than the actual value. It is more of a family heirloom, but could stay the way it is and still be worth the same to us.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:49 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Totally restored, it's probably worth less than the cost of the restoration.

My suggestion would be to enjoy it as-is, provided it's safe to shoot.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:14 am 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

From what you're saying, this is far from a utility grade gun, as Hommer says. in the late 1800s, when Anson and Deeley first invented the boxlock hammerless shotgun, Harrington & Richardson was granted sole rights to produce them in the US. I believe one of these guns is what you have. Check to see if it has the A&D patent on the frame.. If so. this gun is no less than a U S made Westley Richards and is very collectable..If the gun is in 50% or less condition, have it restored.. If more than 50%, clean it up and keep it original,, Photos If possible.. Bushrod

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:24 pm 
Utility Grade

Bushrod,it does have the "Anson & Deeley's Pat. FEB. 1, 1876, No.1678" inscribed on the frame after removing the barrels. It is much better than 50% but you can tell it has been used. I was told they produced three grades, and this gun is the highest grade. The checkering is a bit worn on the stock and on the hand grip. The barrel's interior needs a good cleaning but otherwise it looks in good shape - no pitting or corrosion. The exterior of the barell's has some fancy etching on it and the gun smith said they would bring that back to like new condition. On the underside of one barrel there is a "5" stamped on it and the other barrel has a "766" stamped on it. The barrels also have the serial number stamped on them (1678) which matches the gun serial number. The wood hand grip also has the serial number stamped in the wood and has a very intricate locking mechanism - the gunsmith had a special name for it but I can't remember it. It sounds like it may be worth restoring. This gunsmith had many pictures of the work he has done and some of the custom guns he has made. I will try to take some pictures and post them - I just have a new camara and haven't used it yet. Thanks for all your help. I think I'm even starting to get a little excited!