ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shot placement on Deer w/Buckshot
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:05 pm 
Tournament Grade

Newb question...
What is the best shot placement on a Deer when using buckshot. I wouldn't even take a shot at over 40 yards but if I am using 000 or Dixie Tri-Ball buckshot what would be the recommended placement? I'm thinking vitals (heart/lungs) but what do you say?
Thanks,
Ryan

Post subject: re: Shot placement on Deer w/Buckshot
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:31 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I agree with the vital area.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:47 am 
Crown Grade

Yep, right in the shoulder region should work just fine.

HWD

My Marine kicked cancer's a$$!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:32 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Aim for the vitals.

Unless it's from those on the Left.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:39 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The boiler room.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:03 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

I will be using the Dixie Tri-Ball III buckshot load for dog drive deer hunting this fall. Given the penetration of this load of three .60 caliber 315 grain hard lead buckshot, I think the most effective stopping shot is going to be a shoulder hit.

Last edited by RMc on Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:56 pm 
Utility Grade

standing deer Aim at the shoulder or just behind,if deer is moving shoulder or neck.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:53 pm 
Utility Grade

I see this is an old post, but I have some strong feelings about it, so here's my $.02.

I was happy to see that all the answers about shot placement specified the heart/lung area. I would like to add to keep your shot distances short. Spherical pellets loose their velocity and energy quickly and they start spreading apart as soon as they leave the barrel.

Since the original post was a "newb" question, verify for yourself at the range what your gun and load will do:

Tape a paper plate (approximate size of a deer's heart/lung area) in the center of a 3'x3' sheet of cardboard. Shoot this at 40 yds with the gun and load that you will be hunting with. Mark the hits, move it back 20 yds and shoot it again.

If your hunting load has 3 pellets, I would recommend that you not shoot at a deer at any distance greater than you can keep all 3 of your shot pellets in the paper plate.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:45 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

buffybr

You said:
"If your hunting load has 3 pellets, I would recommend that you not shoot at a deer at any distance greater than you can keep all 3 of your shot pellets in the paper plate."

Post subject: Re: re: Shot placement on Deer w/Buckshot
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:02 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

RMc wrote:
buffybr

You said:
"If your hunting load has 3 pellets, I would recommend that you not shoot at a deer at any distance greater than you can keep all 3 of your shot pellets in the paper plate."

With the Tri-Ball (3/4 ounce per pellet vs 1/8 ounce per 00B pellet), I prefer a total pattern strike in 12 inches for a clean DRT kill. With tested barrel/choke combinations, 40 yard patterns run under 6 inches.

This is a pattern fired at 40 yards on the 8 inch black of an NRA 50 yard Slow Fire Pistol Target.

See: http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=121981

Good hunting is ethical hunting

Ralph

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:21 am 
Crown Grade

Nice pattern! What happens at 60 yds.??

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:23 am 
Utility Grade

RMc,
That's a great 40 yd pellet pattern. If more guys would make the effort to match their loads and chokes and could shoot like that we'd have alot less wounded and lost game. Unfortunately, too many people will just buy a 5-pack or two of buckshot shells, grab their 870 with whatever choke, and head for the woods to shoot a deer.

I think a 12" kill zone is pushing the limits. Draw a 12" circle over the heart/lung area of a life size whitetail deer target. Even with a perfectly placed shot, a hit with 2 of the 3 pellets on opposite edges of that 12" circle probably wouldn't give a quick, clean kill. A 9-10" circle just increases the odds of a clean kill.

Most people have a package of 9 or 10" paper plates at home, especially if they do any camping or picnicing. These also make a good informal pistol, archery, or offhand rifle target. The maximum range that I will shoot at a deer/bear/elk with my pistol or arrow is the maximum distance that I can regularly keep 5 of 5 shots or arrows in a paper plate.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:59 am 
Diamond Grade

newer loads such as dixie's tri ball and handloaded ammo have quality the big 3 cant or wont match. weather its dixie's hand cannon tri ball for deep penatration or a super tight buffered 21 pellet #2 buck load for massage shock trauma, buck shot is comming around. these are NOT your fathers loads nor the run of the mil 00 loose house clearing loads. paper plate vitals @ 40 can be consistant and group well now with enough energy to get the job done, where before it was a crap shoot. we are starting into the golden age of buck shot...finally.

you will find some sizes of buck are more conducive to bore size in the shell. i.e. #2 buck will stack and crimp well with buffer where most of the time 00 wouldnt in a 12ga shell. this affects patterns greatly. dixie's tri-ball is another land mark buck shell with one a-top each other with massave shot that you could not have found years ago. i think you will see more pie plate size or less killer patterns in the near future.

thank you soldiers for freedom, thank you god for everything else. nmca#2071, batf ccr, nra member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:04 pm 
Diamond Grade

WOW!!! That Heavy Buckshot is really something. Maybe if I'd had that load my biggest buck ever wouldn't have got to the river and escaped... wounded :cry:
///olde :shock: pharte///

Post subject: Re: re: Shot placement on Deer w/Buckshot
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:05 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

oldthompson wrote:
Nice pattern! What happens at 60 yds.??

Only by patterning your barrel and choke combination at a known distance can "What happens at 60 yds.??" be determined. With Dixie Tri-Ball, I recommend holding your fire on deer at any range where the worst patterns thrown by your fusil exceeds 12 inches.

Remember, each Dixie Tri-Ball pellet weighs 3/4th ounce and will completely penetrate a deer at any reasonable range.

Post your patterns!

RMc

Last edited by RMc on Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: [size=18][b]"This ain't your grandaddy's buckshot load!
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:55 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Another hunter shared this:

Tri-Ball Pattern 40 Yard Pattern Test

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:58 am 
Presentation Grade

that pattern with the Browning ought to do it,if the shooter does his part

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:42 am 
Utility Grade

I have had good luck shooting the spot where the neck and shoulder join,they drop right away.
I always make sure that I'm close enough and I use a 12 gauge with "0" buck or bigger.
A 10 gauge works very well but ammo is tougher to get than 12 gauge.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:27 am 
Tournament Grade

Since this thread is at the top again I guess I'll update it. Since the only options in my County are bow, muzzleloader, or buckshot I got a muzzle loader. I went the traditional route and got a flintlock and will be taking the first few days of the ML season off work to hopefully use some tags. Thanks for the input though.
Ryan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:10 pm 
Diamond Grade

getting a quality load is the key to buckshot!!! run of the mill street sweepers will not pattern (ill say shouldnt just because you never know)... shouldnt pattern like a good quality load. with buck most of the time you have to get close. with bow you have to be close and thats part of the game.

+1 on the trad muzzleloader, good luck and good hunting! dont give up on buck just alter your equipment, get closer, and pattern

thank you soldiers for freedom, thank you god for everything else. nmca#2071, batf ccr, nra member