CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: J.C.Higgins Model 583.22 20Ga.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:35 pm 
Tournament Grade

Couple of years ago when I bought a house I found a J.C. Higgins 20ga bolt action. I pulled it apart and inspected it, cleaned, and oiled it put it away.

I just pulled it out of the safe, and cleaned it again, inspected it again, and it looks to be very clean and not used much. Anyway I did a search and see conflicting info so I have some questions could some one correct me if I am wrong, I am thinking about taking it to the range for trap tomorrow.

1) Sears recalled the gun, but it seems to be the 12Ga only. Due to bolt stop/ screw failure seems to be the consensus. Is the general consensus that this gun is safe to shoot?

2) Beyond a general cleaning (brake down and clean all major components) and inspection of the bore is there any thing else I should look for.

3) Any thing that I might have missed? I am going to do some more research tonight online.

4) My club only allows steel shot is that ok in a gun of this age?

Thanks in advance to all for any input.

Post subject: re: J.C.Higgins Model 583.22 20Ga.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:29 am 
Presentation Grade

If Sears still has the bounty out on them, send them the bolt and collect the reward. If I remember right, the bounty is about 2x what the gun is worth.

I wouldn't shoot it. If Sears was willing to shell the $ out to recall them, they have to have a substantial risk to them.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:48 am 
Crown Grade

The recall/bounty was for the 12ga only. I have one in 16 that was my Dad's first gun and he passed it on to me. It was the first one I shot and the first one my son shot, and hopefully someday, it will be the first one my grandson shoots. Suffice to say that Sears couldnt pay me enough for the gun.

If you are concerned about it, have a good gunsmith look it over. Chances are that it will turn out to be safe, at least for light (7/8oz) loads.

As far as shooting steel, check the choke. If the choke is anything tighter than modified (and it likely is full) you shouldn't shoot steel shot out of it. If you really want to, I suppose you could have the choke opened up to mod or IC, but the expense would be more than the gun is worth. Of course, if it has an adjustable choke, you're home free.

One more word about steel and chokes in older guns. Some of these guns were made at a time when any given degree of choke generally had more constriction than we have today. This is because the shell construction back then (soft, unprotected shot and fiber wads and non progressive powders) tended to have more damaged pellets and subsequently more open patterns, so more constriction was needed to control the pattern. I have an AyA that was built in 1956 and marked IC/M, but with modern ammunition it throws more like IM/F. I won't run steel through that one!

Frank

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:18 am 
Tournament Grade

Thanks Frank and Seaark,

I looked harder after posting this and find no mention of any gun other than the 12ga as a problem.

I checked the screw in question and found it loose but the threads in the receiver and the screw were all in perfect condition. Other than a few small specs of rust on the bluing and a little bare metal just starting to show on the bolt lever the gun looks new. If it had been fired it had not been fired much. The plating on the feed etc is not scratched or worn. even the bluing on the bolt where it locks up is 90% there. The trigger looks to still be in perfect condition except for the very edges along which the blue is just starting to wear.

The barrel is modified so that should not be a problem, maybe a little tight but that will force me to improve accuracy. I think I will run a box or 2 tonight and see how it goes. Surprisingly even the pad shows no signs of wear and I can still read the J.C. Higgins stamp clearly and crisply.

So far unless someone has a clear indication that the gun is faulty then I will shoot it tonight.

Has anyone actually seen the bolt failure that is talked about? All I have read is that it was during bolt cycle and the screw fell out thus the shooter pulled the bolt into his eye. The only problem I have with what I read is that all the posts seemed to be from the same person or it was quoted by other people. Similar language etc.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:03 pm 
Field Grade

Your gun was made by sears /High standard in 1952 .These are great guns the best bolt action shotgun ever made. The recall by Sears gives you a 50 dollar gift certificate for the bolt. They are only excepting 12 gauge bolts .The problem is the bolt stop screw wich some people did keep tight or lost. This has nothing to do with the guns lock u.These guns are completly safe to shoot . Sears sold thousands of these guns from 1946 to 1956 .I have been a gunsmith for more than 30 years fixed a lot of these guns. Many missing thier bolt stop screws .These guns in good condition are worth about 100 bucks ,and are worth alot more than that as hunters .They are almost as fast as pump but shoot were you point em. Though old fashioned and quite old they are better than a lot of the new junk out there made of plastic and light weight alluminum .In fact a lot of the new stuff is made like a new daisey bb gun ,and I truely dought they will be around as long as your J C Higgins . Some people will make fun of the old girl and some people will like it .Whats counts is if it works for you and you like the gun. these guns have an interesting History and are truely shotguns from your grandfathers day and they are worth more than 50 dollar Sears gift card ( Sears funny money) some Idiots didnt think so and ruined perfactly good 12 gauge guns by turning in the bolts for the above .then they went out and bought one of thouse new plastic and pot metal p.o.s. pumps at walmart made in china or mexico but guess what their shootn is not any better . my advice is enjoy that J C Higgins from grampas day it will probably shoot the pants off the mossbergs and chinese pardner pumps in fact I am sure it will.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:55 am 
Tournament Grade

Irishmusket,

I now concur. I shot it last night and had a great time at the trap field. It definitely put a smile on everyone's face. "Is that a bolt action shotgun? Never seen one of those before." I also turned a decent score, around 18 of 25. One of the better scores for me and considering I had never shot the gun and usually shoot 12ga. Most of the hits were good hits as well not a little chip here and there. I was impressed.

I checked the screw as I stated and put a drop of locktite on it for good measure. Not 100% sure that I will keep the gun (not because I think it might fail) but I do like it.

Post subject: Re: J.C.Higgins Model 583.22 20Ga.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:45 pm 
Field Grade

I know this is A very old thread but I am hopeing some who reads this and can answer my question.
I have recently noticed 3 of the shotguns I have are all JC Higgins model 583.?? one in 12 gauge one in 16 and one in 20 gauge and was just wondering if There is A 410 gauge in the same model.