CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Beartooth Products Comb Raising Kit
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:18 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Has anyone used these as temporary fix for a low comb?

I teach at several women's shotgun clinics each year and I usually take one of the youth model Rem. 1100 20 gauges we have access to and add some length to it and add some comb heigth. If we don't do the their eyes are below the receiver.

These things look like they would be perfect for a teaching situation where you had kids and women shooting together.

I have been using cardboard and duct tape, but when I start cutting strips of duct tape the clas gets nervous.

It seems like the comb rasing and recoil pad kit would be justthe ticket for makinga yourth shotgun come closer to fittin an adult woman.

"A peculiar virtue in wildlife ethics is that the hunter ordinarily has no gallery to applaud or disapprove of his conduct. Whatever his acts, they are dictated by his own conscience, rather than by a mob of onlookers." Aldo Leopold

Post subject: re: Beartooth Products Comb Raising Kit
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:53 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Yes have used them. I need a very high comb and love the old SXS. Although I am a big guy, 6' 2", 220 lbs, I have the same problem, all I see is the back of the receiver on anything but a very high stocked trap gun. I usually use something temporary to see how much I need before cutting and installing either an adjustable comb, or gluing a shaped wood piece on top of the comb. That is if during my experimenting, I decide to keep and modify that gun to fit me.

The trouble with those stretch, and don't think they are "slip on", they are not, Beartooth things is that they just are not any faster to set up than cardboard and duct tape!

The next problem, is that they move. You have to be constantly on them, especially if you are trying to use them in a semi-permanent way. They can go sideways, and the movement is not easily detected until you are shooting way off. They also compress the foam underneath over time.

I have a Beretta made Charles Daley SXS choked full and full that I like to sometimes shoot trap with. Installed the Beartooth and was doing great. After some time, not so great. Wrongly deduced that I might be raising my head, so concentrated on getting my head down tighter. After closing out the match, and on the way home, it came to me that it likely moved. Stopped and checked. Sure enough, so getting my head down tighter was only compounding the problem even more!

Sorry, I digress! I think the main problem to using one in your case, would be the time required to get one on the stock, in the right position as needed and would likely be very little better than the cardboard and duct tape.

Clyde

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:01 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

One more instance, while hunting pheasants with a new to me, SXS, I was having problems missing or just dropping the feet out from under the birds.

Cut and shaped a short section of corn stalk and bummed some camo duct tape from the lady at the bed and breakfast we were staying at. Finished out that season and kept using it for the next and maybe even two more seasons, before adding a more permanent shaped and glued on comb riser.

The Beartooth type riser would have taken constant adjusting and fiddling, over those two or three seasons.

Clyde

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:10 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If you are using the same gun or gun type pretty regularly, maybe a few shaped pieces of say, broomstick, notched to fit saddle like over the comb, in varying heights, would be the ticket.

Just pick the height most likely to do the job in the particular case and tape it on. Certainly would shorten the cutting of cardboard time for each instance.

Clyde

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:22 am 
Crown Grade

Spencer,
I think I may have one that I tried when I first started out with my first Remington 1100. I will take a look for it this weekend at home. Send me a PM if you want to try it and I'll send it to you if I can find it.
I was not all that happy with it as I recall, obviously I'm not using it anymore. As I recall it tended to slip around and move on me.
The instructor at my home club uses pipe foam and electrical tape to make his temporary fitting adjustments to his student's guns.
John W.

Post subject: Re: re: Beartooth Products Comb Raising Kit
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:32 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

jwints1100 wrote:
Spencer,
The instructor at my home club uses pipe foam and electrical tape to make his temporary fitting adjustments to his student's guns.
John W.

Now that sounds like an excellent idea! Quick, easy and the same to remove!

I too was thinking about offering him mine to try, but I don't think it is back from the last loan out! Thanks for reminding me!

Clyde

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:45 am 
Crown Grade

The problem with the wrap arounds is that they reduce cast while they are raising the comb, possibly creating one problem while they treat another.
Dave