ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Alliant Promo Powder
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:46 am 
Utility Grade

I use Alliant powder and recently saw they have a new promo powder avalible. I use red, green, blue, unique, and herco. I also use 700 and 800x as well. How does this new powder stack up to the old reliables weve had for years?

Post subject: re: Alliant Promo Powder
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:08 am 

Promo is a direct interchange for Red Dot by weight alone, not by volume, so each lot or bottle must be sorted out to determine what bushing gives the desired drop. That is the not so bad news.
The good news is: It is cheaper and is a great powder that functions as described. I guess I have used in excess of 40 pounds and will buy more.
Combine Promo, Nobel-Sport primers and Downrange wads, and you get a great performing shell at a nice low price.
Find your best deal on shot. It ain't purty at all.

Let us endeavor so to live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
Mark Twain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:44 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

For the economy-minded, it's a no-brainer.

Cheapest source: Recob's Target Shop

<table width="600"><tr><td>Image</td><td>Alliant Red Dot, 8-lb jug, $90.99
Smokeless target shotshell powder. Now cleaner burning! America's number one choice for clay target loads and now, 50 percent cleaner. Since 1932, more 100 straights than any other powder. America's number one choice, Lot-to-lot consistency, Economical and efficient. Principal Purpose-Light and standard 12 & 16 ga. target loads. Secondary Uses-Handgun loads. The number one premium clay target powder, now 50 percent cleaner.
</td></tr><tr>
<td>Image</td><td>Alliant Promo, 8-lb jug (only), $75.99
Smokeless shotshell powder. America's number one economy-priced 12 gauge target powder. Promo has the same burn speed as Red Dot, but is more dense, thus requiring a smaller bushing to obtain the same charge weight. Budget priced. Economical trap, skeet and sporting clay loads. Easy metering and consistent charging. Principal Purpose-Light and standard 12 & 16 ga. target loads. Secondary Uses-Handgun loads. Reliable performance shot after shot. Standard charge weights work great.
</td></tr></table>
<center>
Image</center>

Last edited by Case on Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:46 am 
Crown Grade

It is a good economical powder. I use it with Fiocchi primers and Down Range wads to keep costs down. Shot is a problem right now but I am still using cheaper shot from a couple of years ago.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:49 pm 
Presentation Grade

Promo is all i use now in my trap loads.......19 grains, STS hull, TGT12 wad and Fiocchi primers and 1oz of homemade or reclaimed shot. Talk about a clay crusher! Same powder drop but change up the components to load into my Fed Gold Medal hulls for 1 1/8oz, awesome handicap load.

I've used quite a few jugs of it now and it is excellent. I get a complete burn so my hulls have no powder residue left and the price point is a bonus. at the PITA Grand last month connie's components was selling Promo and they sold out in the first few days.

buy it, shoot it, you won't look back.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:52 pm 
Presentation Grade

BTW - thanks for posting the reloading data sheet Case, that's the first time i've seen that anywhere. good job mate!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:14 am 
Presentation Grade

ffwildcat:
Did you ever chrono those Promo loads? That's almost exactly what I've been loading except I've been dropping 18 gr of Promo. I'm trying to hit about 1200 fps and a published recipe says I should, but I haven't had a chance to chrono them yet myself.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:19 am 
Presentation Grade

I have not chrono'd my 1oz load with 19gr promo. i'd like to know for sure but i suspect they're in the mid 1200's. check the load data that case posted and the only variant to my recipe is the primer, i use a fiocchi and the load data uses a rem and the data sheet lists 1255 ft/sec. the other recipe lists a Win,a Win wad and Win primer using 19 gr and also getting 1255 fps......so i reckon my load is right there.

sure did make a powdery mess out of wobbles targets yesterday.

primarily we use the load as a sub for a 7/8oz international load for my son's bunker practice. he shoots a 7/8oz load on 1st shot and that 1oz load on his 2nd shot.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:20 am 
Field Grade

i have been using promo powder for about 6 months now and love it
it work great at the 16 yardline nd is very afordable

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:58 am 
Crown Grade

Just to toss one more hat in the ring, I've been loading nothing but Promo for a couple years now, well, that's not exactly true, I still have some REX 1 I'm shooting, it was $18.50 a Kilo. :wink:

Case's data sheet is nice, but it isn't all encompassing. IF you have Red Dot data, you have Promo data! I have my loader set up to drop 18-1/2 gr for every combination of wad, hull, primer and shot charge I load. Last I bought was Just short of $76, but I did burn some $62 Promo when it first came out.

Those are fond memories, just like the $10.50 a bag for shot in lots of 5 or more. Remington primers were like $89 a sleve then too. Not all that long back either! :cry:

BP