CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 391 urika : Stuck gas valve assembly
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:26 am 
Utility Grade

I have put around 1000 rounds through my 391 and just tried to take apart and clean the gas valve assembly. The 2 nuts on the end seem to be on very tight and won't budge with the 2 small wrenches supplied by beretta. I called Beretta and they say I should send the gun in or take it to a gun smith to get it fixed. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if so how they went about fixing it. I'd rather not send the gun in and my gun smith is away atm for the next month. With hunting season starting in a few weeks there is no way I'll send the gun off.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Post subject: re: 391 urika : Stuck gas valve assembly
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:59 am 
Limited Edition

The jam nuts are very tight the first time you try to take them apart. I think the best thing to do is buy a gas valve wrench from Cole's and be done with it.
Regards, George

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:50 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Like Geocap said, they come from the factory very tight. Also, those little hook wrenches that come with the gun aren't very good. I would order one from Cole or one of these: http://www.jassllc.us/Wonder/wondersocket.htm

I like the Wondersocket better, but you do have to have a 1/4" drive ratchet (they are not expensive). BTW, there is another product also called Wonder Socket, but this one is made especially for a 391.

If you don't want to wait for the wrench to come, use a pair of pliers, being careful to get it only on the top nut, not both nuts at one time. Try to get one of the factory wrenches on the bottom nut, and let it get jammed against the barrel so it won't turn while you turn the top nut with the pliers. It will help if you can put the barrel in a padded vise and get someone to hold the wrench on the bottom nut while you turn the top one.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:07 pm 

Quote:
Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem

God no! Welcome to SGW. One of the first things everyone should do when they buy this models is break these nuts loose and put either an anti seize or greese on the threads. The same goes for the threads for the magazine cap. Once you do break them loose, clean them and do the above before putting them back on.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:54 pm 
Limited Edition

netminderonline, I used the small wrench that came with my 391, but put a tube over its handle to get more leverage. However, I followed the advice of Worc and did this before firing the gun and then applied the antiseize.