CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Plastic in Barrel, Best way to remove?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:07 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I am bummed! My Grandson and I shoot 6 rounds of skeet each today. Robert used the Benelli Cordoba and I used the CG Magnus Spt. I clean from deep to just well depending on the time I have. Today I had time to do the deep cleaning. Everything comes out of the shotgun including trigger housing groups of semi's. Used a brush and Blue Wonder Gun Cleaner in barrels. Let the Blue Wonder sit after application for an hour in about 95 degree garage.

Started running patches and man 'o man at the plastic residue. It came out on every patch and even wiped some off exterior of the choke tubes.

Is there a best way to remove this stuff? Is there a best product to remove this stuff? Is it the result of shooting cheapo promo shells?

Illegitimis nil carborundum

Post subject: re: Plastic in Barrel, Best way to remove?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:44 pm 
Tournament Grade

"Gig'em" We use kerosene (jet fuel) in East Texas. At least that's what me and my two Aggies use. What's up the #25 in the AP poll?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:35 pm 
Presentation Grade

After a cleaning, if I still see plastic residue and feel motivated to do something about it, I wrap some 00 steel wool around the tip of a cleaning rod, soak in solvent, and scour the bores. Then run a patch. It works every time.

By the way, I bought some Federal Field and Range shells at Academy, and I couldn't get over how much cleaner they were than other cheapo shells. I think I paid $3.50/25.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:14 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Good old "Gumout" carb and choke cleaner. Spray it down the barrel get out your drill, chuck a rod and brush and go to it. This will remove more plastic gunk and ash than you will believe. Push out with patch soaked in "Gumout" , repeat again maybe twice, oil it up and you are clean quick. You must be careful of some (not all) gun finishes as the solvent can mar them. Good ventilation helps too. GJ

Post subject: Re: re: Plastic in Barrel, Best way to remove?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:02 pm 
Crown Grade

grandejuan wrote:
Good old "Gumout" carb and choke cleaner. Spray it down the barrel get out your drill, chuck a rod and brush and go to it. This will remove more plastic gunk and ash than you will believe. Push out with patch soaked in "Gumout" , repeat again maybe twice, oil it up and you are clean quick. You must be careful of some (not all) gun finishes as the solvent can mar them. Good ventilation helps too. GJ

:arrow: works great even to clean the action on my Wingmaster or action/carbon outta gas ports/cylinder on my 1187 auto. Just keep away from the wood.....will make toast out of the finish! 8)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:29 pm 
Diamond Grade

+1 on the carb cleaner advice. Acetone works well also, but similar caution should be used to keep it off the furniture and finish.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:21 pm 

Shooter's Choice solvent with a brush in a drill. I soak a patch, wrap it around the bronze brush, run it through the bore to soak it down and then let it sit for a couple of minutes. Then I'll run the brush through a few times and then start patching until they come out clean. For choke tubes I just pull 'em and soak 'em in a little jar of the same solvent. Five minutes or less and the plastic will almost just fall out. Best done outside or with LOTS of ventilation--the stuff is seriously strong.

And it won't eat your wood or its finish. Or your clothes or the furniture.

Kill 'em all

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:03 am 
Tournament Grade

I clamp my barrels in a padded vice with the muzzles slightrly down, then spray inside them with WD40 intill it's running out of the barrels. Really soak them. I then leave them overnite with a rag wrapped around the muzzles to catch the run-off. The next day you can look inside the barrels and see strips of plastic hanging loose. Two passes with a brush and a couple of patches and their clean as new. I put a patch lightly coated with Clensoil through them for Protection because that's not what WD40 is for. A penitrating oil like Kroil or liquid wrench would also work but WD40 is much cheaper, and smells better.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:14 am 
Tournament Grade

I have recently had a problem like this until a gunsmith friend of mine helped me out.

GMK Barrel and Choke cleaner is the answer. Spray a little in each tube , wait Two minutes .... Hey Presto .... lovely clean Barrels.

I am a bit wary of the advice given on here about using wire wool and Drills. ( no offence )

The Chrome used in shotgun Barrels is very hard. Not like the stuff on car bumpers etc .... but you can still wear it out prematurely.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:24 am 
Presentation Grade

I agree with everyone who uses,as I do shooters choice shotgun and choke tube cleaner. However if yoou were to o to the hardware store and purchase a can of naptha, which is the main ingredient in shooters choice, you can save a little coin. Shooters choice was 11.99 a can at Sportsmans Warehouse yesterday and a can of naptha at the local hardware store is around $5 and you get a quart of the stuff. Just put it in a spray bottle and spray it in the barrels and let it sit for a minute and run an oversize brush through it and all that plasic will be history.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:31 am 
Presentation Grade

I'll second the WD40. Spray, wait a couple of minutes, then I run a soaked patch wrapped around a bore brush. Then clean with whichever bore cleaner you fancy...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:40 am 
Tournament Grade

WD40, followed by a cleaning rod with brush, powered by a
3/8" variable speed drill. Then a couple of passes with a rod and patch with WD40, that's it ! :D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:44 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Retired is spot on the money about a drill, a brush, and WD 40, for a bad case of plastic wad fouling.

But, for the normal variety of "shooting 6 rounds of skeet" build up, WD 40 (or anything else you prefer) and a "tornado brush" does a fairly good job, too, with less work.

What brand of gun cleaner or whether you use a power drill are, in my opinion, less important that the fact you really need a good, sturdy wire brush to get out plastic fouling. I prefer the stainless steel "tornado" brushes, but a new bronze bristle brush will work, too.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:09 pm 
Limited Edition

I have a different problem,, my wife has a hissyfit every time i use any kind of solvent.. I learned here that wd 40 was good for wad cleaning and tried it one night.. As usual my wife upstairs had a fit.. The next time i figured well (being a black powder shooter) Bill Large, one of the best barrelmakers in the usa, now deceased, used oil to clean his barrels.. In my mind at taht time, i reasoned Oil is just a little thicker than wd-40.. So i used some 3 in 1.. Not alot of rounds shot but it worked well, and cleaned up great, no smell, just a little mess at end of bore where it wants to spatter.. I always use a 10 g brush in 12 ga for brushing with oil, then paper towel or patch on worn out brush to wipe the muck out.. I never reverse a 10 guage bronz brush in bore, let it go thru then pull back... If youve got alot of palstic id let it set with oil overnight, i admidt i havnt tried overnight, but may soften heavy plastic residue more easily.. dave.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:44 am 
Presentation Grade

I concur with some of what's being said, the tension on the brush has as much to do with it as anything. I was a bit lazy and had just been BoreSnake cleaning my CG. I pulled a choke tube the other day and noticed a LOT of plastic buildup, enough so that I'm fairly sure my IC was now shooting MOD.

Anyway, soaked it with Shooter's Choice. It definitely loosened the buildup and it came out in very nice curls, but not completely. Soaked it with carb cleaner, WD40, etc...still couldn't get that last tiny bit out. Finally, went to Wally World latenight and got a nice new brush, it came right out. A worn brush won't do the trick no matter what miracle goop you use.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:10 pm 
Limited Edition

For removing plastic residue, I also vote for WD-40. However, that's the only thing I use it for on firearms.

Post subject: Re: re: Plastic in Barrel, Best way to remove?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:45 pm 
Diamond Grade

ras1500 wrote:
For removing plastic residue, I also vote for WD-40. However, that's the only thing I use it for on firearms.

Same here, although; I avoid 99.999% of the challenges referred to in the original post by running a bronze brush followed by a patch or two w/ wd-40 through each barrel on the back of my pickup -- AS SOON AS I AM DONE SHOOTING FOR THE DAY AND I'VE COME OFF THE LINE!

I picked this habit up shooting expen$ive high power rifles and, boy! geting to the inside of a bbl while it is still warm save me ALL that extra time scrubbing at home, etc.

(I just leave a couple of extra rods stashed in the truck or car trunk safely ensconced in a PVC pipe with caps on each end.

Try cleaning bores while they're still "warm" -- takes 1/2 the time and less than 1/2 the trouble!

best o' success!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:10 pm 
Diamond Grade

I use an electric drill as mentioned previosly, but use a 10 gauge copper brush instead.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:24 am 
Tournament Grade

I usually use a Tornado Brush, with a large cotton patch over the wire (like a jag), to which I apply either brake clean or Ed's Red without the lanolin. The TB really works much better than the conventional wire brush. After it's cleaned I use Eezox. This would apply to heavy plastic residue, otherwise the Eezox will get it off with the TB and patch.