CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Browning A5 shooting steel shot
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 6:58 pm 
Utility Grade

I just inhereted a circa 1955 Browning A5.
I have read a few posts here saying not to use steel shot (available everywhere @ apprx $5.00 per 25box).

Can someone give me clarification on this topic:
Can I shoot steel shot in this or do I have to go with the expensive stuff like tungsten?
It also has a Hartford Adjustomatic Choke on it if this helps.

Or should I go about finding a replacement barrel? :?

Post subject: Re: Browning A5 shooting steel shot
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 7:21 pm 
Diamond Grade

rbm,
Contact Browning. Be sure to have Ser# in hand and theywill tell you if it can shoot steel or iron. ( I doubt it will. Like me it's too old) :( No slam on age.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 7:22 pm 
Utility Grade

Hey thanks Shotgun Red! I'll check with them.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 12:16 am 
Crown Grade

The Browning site plainly states to not use steel in the Belgian A-5s. The barrel will develop a slight bulge about where the choke begins. We've had a couple of threads on this in the ID and Value forum.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 9:00 am 
Crown Grade

MarlandS Wrote:

<b>"The barrel will develop a slight bulge about where the choke begins."</b>

Ayuh...That is exactly what it says...It also says that other than the cosmetic ring, there is no issue about safety or function of the weapon...

rbm states that he has an adjustable choke on the barrel, so theoretically with it set MOD or more open, there should be no issue with damage shooting steel...

I am not suggesting that anyone do as I do, but if it were mine, and the barrel came factory with the adjustable choke, I would probably not fire it with steel...If the adjustable is aftermarket and the original barrel has been changed, I would fire away...

If the barrel is original, there is always the option of buying another barrel just to fire steel...

You can always fire Kent Tungsten Matrix (NOT Federal Tungsten) or Bismuth loads as both of these non-tox loads behave like lead through a choke...

Sincerely HTH

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 9:49 pm 
Utility Grade

Actually there were a FEW Belgian Browning A-5's made with "Steel Certified" tubes. I happen to own one with two such tubes chambered for 2-3/4" shells.

The barrels for my very late Belgian are both marked "Special Steel" and "Made in Belgium."

I also have a 1952 A-5 12 and a 1967 A-5 20 that I would not even dream of shooting steel in.

BTW, The barrels from the modern A-5' 12 and the older gun will not interchange. Not sure if "steel capable" barrels are available for the older guns or not.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 10:20 pm 
Crown Grade

Leadhead2 wrote:
Actually there were a FEW Belgian Browning A-5's made with "Steel Certified" tubes. I happen to own one with two such tubes chambered for 2-3/4" shells.

The barrels for my very late Belgian are both marked "Special Steel" and "Made in Belgium."

I suggest checking into this issue more closely before considering that notation to mean the Belgian A5 barrel is good for steel shot. I would hate to see anyone damage their older A5.

I believe the "Special Steel" inscription is just a trade mark and does not refer to steel shot use for two reasons.

1.) I still have my Dad's A5 which I inherited years ago; this is a 1963 manufacture Belgian A5 and its barrel also has the marking "Special Steel". That gun's manufacture date pre-dates the use of steel shot.

2.) Also reference No. 3 on this Browning site;

http://www.browning.com/faq/detail.asp?ID=128

It appears to be very specific about not using steel in a Belgian A5.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 11:17 am 
Utility Grade

Thanks for your help Claydust :!:

By the Browing site, it looks like I'll be looking for a new Japanese Invector Barrel. Again, thanks for your response!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 1:05 pm 
My concern would not be the barrel but the adjustable choke. I thought I understood that Polychokes and similar are not recommended with steel shot.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 7:04 pm 
Crown Grade

rbm wrote:

By the Browing site, it looks like I'll be looking for a new Japanese Invector Barrel. Again, thanks for your response!

No prob.'s

I wouldn't have any concerns about a Japanese barrel either, the ones I had were nicely finished.

Regards

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 6:53 am 
Crown Grade

<b>"My concern would not be the barrel but the adjustable choke. I thought I understood that Polychokes and similar are not recommended with steel shot."</b>

Dunno...I shoot a Savage 'Super-Choke', my Father shoots a Poly-Choke, and the NRA grader/gunsmith/dealer down the road shoots a Poly on an old Winchester...All of these are with steel...The 'Super-Choke' even jumps a gap like a Cutts Compensator...

So far so good...I do pattern each load and find what setting works best...I never close the choke tighter than MOD with steel, and almost never tighter than IMP CYL...Steel inherently patterns tighter than lead...

I am NOT recommending that anyone do as I do...Just relating my experiences...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 12:13 pm 
Tournament Grade

Can you shoot slugs through an A5 Magnum with a 32" full choked barrel?
Crunch

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 5:00 pm 
Crown Grade

Crunch wrote:
Can you shoot slugs through an A5 Magnum with a 32" full choked barrel?
Crunch

Yes you can but the more open your choke the better your accuracy will be..

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 12:12 am 
Claydust wrote:
rbm wrote:

No prob.'s

I wouldn't have any concerns about a Japanese barrel either, the ones I had were nicely finished.

Regards

None of the shotguns made before about 1985 or 1990 were made for steel shot - only lead. Steel shot did not exist then [It was mandated by one of our Federal Wildlife Acts] and the barrels of almost all such guns are abraded by the steel shot, to a greater or lesser degree at each discharge. You're right on target about the new invector barrels, and Cabelas has a nice selection for the A-5

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 2:21 am 
Diamond Grade

My personal feeling is that if it is that $15,000 job in the new A5 thread I wouldn't shoot steel through it even though it is steel rated. But in a <~$800 gun, what is the big deal. Just as long as it is not a "pressure" issue, and I think it would be fairly hard to find a 'non nitro' rated shotgun that wasn't about 100 years old. If it has a full choke, hone it out. A full choke became rather redundant for anything besides trap and turkey shooting when shot cups were invented anyways.

tom

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 1:01 am 
Crown Grade

Any and all Belgian A-5 barrels are not approved or recommended for steel shot. Although many people have shot thousands of rounds out of them with no ill effects. That is a personal choice you have to make yourself.

All japanese. barrels are steel shot safe. Choke permitting. The Invector and the fixed choke ones.

The words special steel on the side of the barrel has nothing to do with what you shoot in it. It is referring to Browning's special alloy of steel they made the barrel out of.

http://www.tjgeneralstore.com/new_page_6.htm

One of the cheapest places I have found for new Invector Plus barrels.