CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Western Arms Corp. Ithaca NY 20 gauge double barrel diagram
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:42 am 
Utility Grade

I just got my dads Western Arms Corp. Ithaca NY 20 gauge double barrel shotgun single trigger serial number 39135 for my son to use. We fireed it about 20 times at the range and then it stopped cocking the firing pins. I am afraid to take it apart without a schematic to show me what to look for. Any ideas on how to get a schematic?

Post subject: re: Western Arms Corp. Ithaca NY 20 gauge double barrel diag
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:46 am 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

The Western Ithaca has cocking rods that are pushed back by cams, so it's most likely the hammers are being cocked, but the sears are not engaging and holding them back, It;s a very simple action, so I think your problem is in the single trigger.. Bushrod

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:51 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks, I will try to take the action apart and find out what is not working. I have the rear stock off and can see the trigger and two lever arms. It seams like the trigger pushes up one arm that is then caught in a spring loaded lever. The second lever then is ready for firing the second barrel. I am not sure how the first lever is actually caught. It is possible that the recoil inertia moves the lever against the spring and thus the lever is caught. Knowing that there are cams and probably just two spings in the action, I am willing to try to dig in deaper to see what may be the problem.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:08 pm 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

There are springs on the cocking rods, but those things can be a bear to get back in without a clamp to do the job.. Bushrod

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:58 am 
Utility Grade

I did not end up taking the action apart. I found that the forward stock also comes off and is key to the cams that cock the pins. It seems the cams and or the plate to the cams have worn enough that the forward stock now moves instead of the cams stopping and cocking. If I clamp or firmly hold the barrel to the fowrward stock, the gun cocks properly. Now I think I need to find a parts supplier to replace worn parts.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:18 pm 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

It sounds like a weak or broken spring on the dog that goes into the forend lug.. It should be an easy fix.. Bshrod

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:49 pm 
Limited Edition

snlschilling,
Your cocking problem is definitely in the fore end. The amount of movement that can occur and will affect the cocking mechanisim is VERY little. As a starting point, I would check to see if the fore end iron assembly has gotten loose from the fore end stock.
Let us know how this works out for you!

Rays