CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 10 gauge shotgun
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 4:18 pm 
I'm a hardcore goose hunter and I hunt out in the North Dakota. Quite a few of the geese out there fly high. So I'm looking to buy a 10 gauge for both geese and turkey. How do they pattern. How far are they effective too? I shot both semi and pump. I know there is far less recoil from a 10 than a 12.

Post subject: Re: 10 gauge shotgun
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 4:29 pm 
Ornithology Expert

If you are a really dedicated goosehunter and you can afford it then a 10ga auto might be the way to go. The larger bore will pattern heavy loads better than the standard 12ga bore. One could realistically shoot out to 50 yards, 60 if you are a good shot.

-bob

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 6:58 pm 
Limited Edition

I have a Browning BPS 10 gauge and it does pattern quite well. I have never fired or owned a 3 1/2 12 gauge but because of the slightly larger bore and shorter shot column the 10 should theoretically pattern better. Because most 10ga guns tend to weigh more than 12 ga 3 1/2 guns the recoil should tend to feel lighter as well. The 10 is basically a single purpose gun and for turkeys and geese it does work very well. If I were to only own one shotgun though it would no doubt be a 12 ga 3 1/2. As far as range goes when we were still allowed to use lead, nothing was as devestating on large Canadas as the Federal Premium 10 ga 2 1/4 oz copper coated BB load. This load would cleanly kill Canadas out to 70 yards if you can hit them. But a few years ago we were forced to use non-toxic shot and I was spoiled by previously using lead. As far as I am concerned steel shot is crap and effective range is seriously reduced. I have tried the Remington Hevi-Shot and while it does work quite well, the largest size Remington offers it in for 10ga is no. 2 and this still does not work as well as the old Federal BB load. I know the 12 ga 3 1/2 offers very close performance to the 10 but if you want the ultimate performance for turkeys and geese I would get the 10 gauge.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 5:25 pm 
I have an Ithaca 10 gage auto that I havent used in several years, If thats what you are looking for.
davidbmatthews@yahoo.com

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 7:22 pm 
I used to hunt snow's a lot in ND, but don't anymore. There is nothing better for pass shooting & decoy shy snow geese than a 10 gauge.
I have a Rem SP-10 that I used for them. It is for sale, $650. If interested, send an e mail.
dfehrenb@aol.com

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:58 pm 
Utility Grade

davidbmatthews wrote:
I have an Ithaca 10 gage auto that I havent used in several years, If thats what you are looking for.
davidbmatthews@yahoo.com
:D :D

Post subject: re: 10 gauge shotgun
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:36 pm 
Tournament Grade

If your shotgun can fire 3 1/2" shells, try Kent's Faststeel #2's 1 1/8 oz. I think it gets out there around 1560 fps. It my save you some money on a new shotgun.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:33 am 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

I have several 10ga guns, SxS, O/U and I have owned Browning 10ga in both BPS and autos. Also, I have several lever action Winchesters. I find that they are well worth the money and having to carry them to the field for pass shooting waterfowl.

Im my opinion, a 10ga is not at all necessary for turkey hunting. For these birds, I usually use a full choked 20ga or my old Browning A5 in 3". I once carried a 10ga 3 1/2" Holland to the top of a ridge in Brown County, Indiana to shoot a turkey that I called in to about 25 yards. Two ounces of copperplated #2s made a messs of that bird. Never again! That gun weighs 13 1/2 pounds and has 34" barrels. It just isn't a turkey gun! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:48 am 
Limited Edition

Heres my take on it.. The 10 is really not nesseary any more.. It was made popular again when the waterfouler was forced to go to steel shot.. The 20 lost alot of popularity with steel and the 3 1/2 inch 12 came out.. If you want to shoot steel to save money then fine..

But if you want long range, a 12 gauge with b heavy shot will have the pennetration at the ranges you want..The patterns are fantastic. 98 percent at 40 yards is not unusuall in my gun.. Patterns open up to normal at about 55 yards with plenty of power at that range.. By the time you increase the shot size more than b (with steel) to have any power at 55-60 yards youll need a 10 guage, and its power is questionable.. ..

Now the question arrises , why cant you use 10 guage with heavy shot.. you can, but a hit will still be a hit, and a miss will still be a miss.. In new shells 10 guage can cost more, outdated shells seems to not have that big of price difference.. That is bismuth 10 guage costs the same as 12 guage in the old stock in the stores im going to that have it..

heavy steel may give the 10 extended life, as it has increased density over steel, and costs less than heavy shot.. then as discussed here in the waterfouling section some companies have been cheating on thier shot composition from year to year, and heavy users of the new shells have noticied it and this will put the pinch on shell makers that are not disclosing actual density of thier different loads, Pretending to be made of the right stuff.. Environmetal is being put on the hot spot for this and accusations is not proof, but the truth will prevail.. you will find alot more onthe new shot types and the 10 guage in the waterfoul section of this forum.. ..

The ability to be able to use the 12 properly (with a good set of chokes) for every type shooting is become more of a reality every year, usually with cheaper shells than the 10.. By the time youv paid for a 10 gauge auto you will be able to hunt for two years or maybe more for the cost of heavy shot ammo.. By that time the different types of shot, and performance will be a whole new ball game,, and the manufacturers will always be trying to please the masses, and that means 12 guage.. my opinion only...
.dave

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:43 am 
Limited Edition

I goose hunt some and mostly Pass shooting. One of my best friends Goose hunts 60+ days a year and uses nothing but 10ga. and heavy shot. Expensive yes but I have seen him hit snows at over 80 yards on a regular basis when pass shooting. I usually borrow one of his 10's if I am pass shooting. it is true there is nothing better for pass shooting geese than a 10ga.

Good Luck

Al

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:06 pm 
Crown Grade

Amen. A ten with good ammunition makes waterfowling a pleasure for those who know which end the shot comes out.

Last edited by lowgun on Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:10 pm 
Crown Grade

Hello guest: Well I bought my 10ga. in 1990, (SP-10) when the only non-toxic shot was steel, of course when I stopped using steel, the speed was around 1400fps.

If you are going to buy a 10ga and just shoot standard steel, I think you are wasting your money. take that money and buy some premium shells 12ga 3in. Bismuth, Hevy-shot, Tungsten/Matrix etc. I feel that it really gives you an edge over standard steel in a 10ga.

however if you want to buy a 10ga and shot premium shells out of it, you willl most definately see a big difference. Been shooting Bismuth BBs out of mine for 13 seasons now. 75-80 yard shots are fairly common with me when I pass shoot geese. Mostly specks and occassionally a few honkers.

What I really enjoy is those late season greenheads that think they are smart by landing about 100 yards out. They are far from safe, you can just "ROLL EM" with that 10ga!

Regards Dave

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:30 am 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

I use a 10ga for pass shooting with Bismuth BB or #2. I can get regular kills out to about 60 yards with those loads. There are two secrets to long range pass shooting. First of all, practice plenty of shots at 50 yards or over (barn pigeons are great here). The second secret is to pattern your gun. Older guns were designed for fiber wads and different powders (also different legnth cases - be sure to check). A day at the pattern board is a must for those long range shots. You may find that reloads with different components will work better than factory loads.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:58 pm 
Presentation Grade

possibly get a 10ga

or skip the 10ga and get some kent tungsten matrix shot, its basically like shooting lead and should carry further than steel for sure.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:15 pm 
Utility Grade

hi am new to this site but i have been looking for an ithica or a zabala 10 ga. i was wondering if you still had your gun and how much you are trying to get out of it thank

kyle

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:33 pm 
Presentation Grade

I had an H&R 10ga turkey gun with a 24" barrel. My Ulti Mag patterned much better. I also had a Zabela S/S 10ga with I believe were 32" barrels. It weighed a ton. I never patterened this gun it just weighed to much. For waterfowl I dont mind shooting 3 1/2" 12ga steel. The steel loads dont recoil much. Now turkey loads thats a different story.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:34 pm 
Tournament Grade

Kyle gun broker has a Ithaca field grade sxs for sale.
I've been using a Ithaca sxs for quite a few years and it is an awesome weapon for long range pass shooting.I lucked into 300 plus rounds of federal tungsten polymar in #4's and wish I had more.Mallards at 50 yds are no match.When the birds are not flying it is a beautiful piece of American history to look at.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:49 pm 
Presentation Grade

80 yards with Bismuth BB's? Maybe a lucky shot, but I doubt you'll hit, let alone drop a flying goose very often at that range. We used to call those guys "high shooting Jonny's".

Let's assume that you are shooting 2 ounces (120 pellets) of Bismuth BB's, have a gun that will pattern that 100% of the pellets within a 30" circle at 40 yards, with 75% (90 pellets) within the center 21". Let's further assume that the pellets are perfectly round, and there are no flyers (the pellets within a 21" circle at 40 yards, are now within a 42" circle at 80 yards). If this were possible, the 42" circle would average one pellet per 15.4 square inches, and that's assuming no shot stringing! In addition, with a muzzle velocity (actually at 3') of 1225 fps it would take the shot about .306 seconds to go 80 yards. During that time, if the goose is flying 50 MPH (75 fps), it would travel 23'. If you misjudge the distance by 10 yards (ie 70 yards) the lead required would be about 19'.

Now, ducks at 100 yards!!

I think someone needs a rangefinder.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:59 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

When steel came along I went thru five ten gauges. Settled on a BPS because it handled the best because it was the lightest of the bunch - relatively speaking. I am 6'-2" and weighed about 220 back then, and was in darn good shape, and a big ten SxS or an Ithaca Mag 10 was too much for me to shoot well on anything I didn't see coming a mile away, with a good position. I had the one BPS backbored, forcing cone lengthened, and machined some metal off the receiver, and had a lot of good romp and stomp on both ends. And then the better non-tox like Hevi-Shot and tungsten matrix came along, I got older, and I went back to my 12 gauge 3".
If you do some patterning work, and/or work up your own loads, and practice, I believe a 10 can get you up to 20 more effective yards with steel. It's the combination of payload, velocity, and bore that does it. With the right chokes, I could smoke geese and swans up to 65 yards with 'T' steel. Guys standing right next to me with 12 gauges might have drawn some feather, or sailed one a mile to give the dog a workout, but that 10 would bring them down.
I have never gotten back into handloading like I was before steel. I got some Ballistic Products nickel plated Italian shot, special wads, buffer, mica, and spent a lot of bucks on barrel work and chokes, and I cooked up some fantastic long range 12 gauge 3" loads. With the stuff available now, if I was 30 again, with the time and the money to go after geese like I once did, I believe I might give it a go with a 10 gauge and non-toxic shot. Be interesting to see what it could really do.

Post subject: Re: re: 10 gauge shotgun
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:07 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Mike Robinson wrote:
I think someone needs a rangefinder.

I agree totally. I bought one in 1980. Took a little while before I got good at working it on flying geese, but I mastered it. I practiced the range finding on golf course geese before the real season. Helped a lot with the golf game too, even though it was 'illegal'.