CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Urika or Urika 2
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:27 am 
Tournament Grade

My buddy is getting ready to purchase a 391, but does not have internet access. He wanted to know if the 391 Urika 2 is worth $50.00 more? Besides cosmetics the only difference I could tell with the piston. I just wanted to get him some input.

Post subject: Re: Urika or Urika 2
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:24 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

River Hill wrote:
Besides cosmetics the only difference I could tell with the piston.

Yeah, me too.

And desides, some of the cosmetics stink. That so-called "extra grain" is butt ugly.

Post subject: re: Urika or Urika 2
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:26 pm 
Presentation Grade

My favorite shotgun is my 391 Sporting with non-optima barrel.

Worth $50 more.....to me it isn't.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:57 pm 
Field Grade

River Hill wrote:
My buddy is getting ready to purchase a 391, but does not have internet access. He wanted to know if the 391 Urika 2 is worth $50.00 more? Besides cosmetics the only difference I could tell with the piston. I just wanted to get him some input.

The new piston system and the X-TRA Grain stock is the only difference. I sent an email to Beretta and asked basically what the difference was between the “Urika” and the “Urika 2” models and received the following reply (also it took over two weeks to get a reply to my question):

The self cleaning piston, and a new xtra grain patterns on the standard grade Urika 2 field and sporting models, the xtra grain wood finish is burned into the wood. No other changes on the gun.
Thank you for contacting Beretta Customer Support
.”

To me the new piston system has not been proven out. It could work great, but I figured why take the chance. The “Urika” has a solid reputation and the design has been proven out. Also I don’t care for the look of the X-TRA Grain wood. To me it looks cheap :(

Also as you wrote, the prices on the new “Urika 2” models has increased by $50 for the base model, but if you check the "Urika 2" Gold Sporting model is priced $150 more (but I don’t think the Gold Sporting uses the X-TRA Grain wood stock).

I recently purchased a 391 Urika Gold Sporting model and I had a hard time finding one. I was told by several dealers that tried to order a “Urika” Sporting model for me that most distributors and even Beretta USA are only able to get in the newer “Urika 2” models. If you want a “Urika” model and not a “Urika 2” you may want to start looking soon.

Randy

Last edited by Randy K on Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:07 pm 
Crown Grade

hit the internet guys. Gunbroker , guns america, ect ect. Shotgunworld own classifed, gun boards. Plenty of berettas for sale. I have a urinka sporting 391 & love it, but I'm always looking for a 303 30 in. good luck

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:49 pm 
Diamond Grade

The only thing different about the piston is the "searated" top that is supposed to be more self-cleaning than the previous.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:07 am 
DFW Dominant Predator

:idea: :arrow: Untill Beretta goes back to wood, like before...
I will not buy the "New Guns" unless it is Synthetic :roll: :x

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:13 am 
Diamond Grade

River Hill wrote:

For $50 more he gets penalized with a newly designed piston of dubious value and a wooden stock that has been treated to make it look even more hideous. If he pays even more money and buys a Gold Urika 2, he'll get a normal looking wooden stock that used to come standard.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:39 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

With old collector guns, the general rule is that the earlier the model, the more they are worth.

But, for modern guns, the general rule is that the later model brings more money. Planned obsolescence, if you will.

Buy the latest model, if you think you might ever want to sell it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:03 am 
Crown Grade

I don't mean to "bash", but thought I'd relate the following story:

A rather wealthy acquaintence of mine bought a pair of new 391 Urika 2's eariler this year and experienced servere manufacturing defects with both guns.

Either the bolt or the barrel on each gun were not machined properly. On the first gun, the barrel simply would not fit onto the receiver once the NIB box was opened. Beretta replaced this barrel, but the replacement barrel soon proved defective, as well. Dramatic galling on the barrel extension and the bolt was evident after only a few hundred rounds, which led to the bolt "sticking" shut after the gun was fired. His "spare" Urika 2 then began firing slightly out of battery, suggesting a different sort of bolt/barrel issue.

Rather than deal with more warranty claims, he traded in both guns and bought a new 391 Teknys Sporting. To date, the Teknys has been performing very well for him and is at least as reliable as other brand name autoloaders.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:41 am 
Field Grade

claydoctor wrote:
For $50 more he gets penalized with a newly designed piston of dubious value and a wooden stock that has been treated to make it look even more hideous. If he pays even more money and buys a Gold Urika 2, he'll get a normal looking wooden stock that used to come standard.

Also the Urika Gold Sporting model came with a silver receiver, which I think looks nice. The new Urika 2 Gold model just has the blued receiver.

Post subject: Re: re: Urika or Urika 2
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:51 pm 
Presentation Grade

Lakenut wrote:
The only thing different about the piston is the "searated" top that is supposed to be more self-cleaning than the previous.

Is that the same serrated top that the Extrema 2 has?

When I bought my Extrema 2 I looked that the Urika. Sportsman's Warehouse had them on clearance saying that they were being phased out by Beretta. I have no ide if it's true or not but they were selling them for $829.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:02 pm 
Diamond Grade

WinM12 wrote:
I don't mean to "bash", but thought I'd relate the following story:

A rather wealthy acquaintence of mine bought a pair of new 391 Urika 2's eariler this year and experienced servere manufacturing defects with both guns.

Either the bolt or the barrel on each gun were not machined properly. On the first gun, the barrel simply would not fit onto the receiver once the NIB box was opened. Beretta replaced this barrel, but the replacement barrel soon proved defective, as well. Dramatic galling on the barrel extension and the bolt was evident after only a few hundred rounds, which led to the bolt "sticking" shut after the gun was fired. His "spare" Urika 2 then began firing slightly out of battery, suggesting a different sort of bolt/barrel issue.

Rather than deal with more warranty claims, he traded in both guns and bought a new 391 Teknys Sporting. To date, the Teknys has been performing very well for him and is at least as reliable as other brand name autoloaders.

If he had trouble with both Urika 391-2's why would he buy a Teknys which is the same gun mechanically and by the same manufacturer?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:32 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If they had been Turkish guns, we'd have more proof of "spotty Turkish quality control". :lol:

Beretta currently enjoys a wonderful, and well deserved, reputation for making high quality guns. But, they must do a couple of things, in my opinion, to keep that reputation:

1. Dammit, dammit, dammit, don't change little parts on guns, like shell lifters, (or gas pistons???) unless they are a lot better than the part replaced. Beretta has suffered a terrible, self inflicted black eye with all those bent 391 shell lifters. I guess they finally got it right, but what a mess. It was stuff like this that just about ruined American manufacturers, once upon a time.

2. Fix the guns if they break. Answer the phone. Return letters. Do all that with a smile, and in a hurry, and don't nickel and dime your customer with a busted Beretta. Beretta's customer service just sucks, according to my buddies who've tried using it.

Caesar Guerini makes wonderful guns, that hardly ever have any problems, but if you even think you have a problem Guerini USA will fix it right NOW, and send it back to you tomorrow, free, free, free, with a ball cap and maybe some other goodies in the box.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:39 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

SuperXOne wrote:
Beretta has suffered a terrible, self inflicted black eye with all those bent 391 shell lifters. I guess they finally got it right, but what a mess.

Well, no, they haven't finally got it right. I've seen a couple of 391's that were made in the last several months, with bent carriers.

This has been going on for yeeeaaarrrsss...............!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:44 pm 
Crown Grade

claydoctor wrote:
If he had trouble with both Urika 391-2's why would he buy a Teknys which is the same gun mechanically and by the same manufacturer?

We all wondered the same thing. This is an older gent with a large gun collection and an ample nest egg. He said that he really liked the feel of the 391, and was willing to give Beretta another (albeit, third) chance. He figured that maybe their top of the line variant would be a better gun.

So far, his Teknys has been reliable and he has spent countless hours tweaking the stock shims, the adjustable comb, the changeable rib, and a myriad of aftermarket "strap on" weights and ported chokes. He likes to tinker, and the Teknys Sporting is giving him ample opportunity to do so! :wink:

Of course, if I had 2 identical guns from the same mfg go bad on me that quickly, I'd switch brands.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:21 am 
Presentation Grade

Interesting thread.......my sporting clays 303s are fluttering with contentment in their gun cases knowing they have NEVER had the problems their bastardized younger cousins experience.

Berettas have truly devolved over time. When it comes to Berettas: Old School is best!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:18 pm 
Diamond Grade

WinM12 wrote:
claydoctor wrote:

We all wondered the same thing. This is an older gent with a large gun collection and an ample nest egg. He said that he really liked the feel of the 391, and was willing to give Beretta another (albeit, third) chance. He figured that maybe their top of the line variant would be a better gun.

So far, his Teknys has been reliable and he has spent countless hours tweaking the stock shims, the adjustable comb, the changeable rib, and a myriad of aftermarket "strap on" weights and ported chokes. He likes to tinker, and the Teknys Sporting is giving him ample opportunity to do so! :wink:

Of course, if I had 2 identical guns from the same mfg go bad on me that quickly, I'd switch brands.

Well, I guess that explains it. Remind him to put duct tape over those blue enamel inserts to catch them when they fall off. Replacing them is a bit pricey.