CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Browning Silver Edition????
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:13 am 
Field Grade

I would like the opinions of this forum to give me their opinions on the Browning Silver Edition. I am considering purchasing this shotgun. Academy has these in stock right now. I will be using it as a bird hunting shotgun(quail,dove and whitewing). Is it a good gun? It sells for 700 dollars. Thank you.

Post subject: re: Browning Silver Edition????
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:24 am 
Crown Grade

The Browning Silver is a cheaper, lighter weight version of the Browning Gold. Like most autoloaders from major manufacturers today, it should be a good gun given proper care and maintenance.

The Winchester SX3 is made at the same production facilities, shares the same basic design, and should therefore be considered a "sister gun". I've looked at both the Silver and the SX3, and actually preferrred the stock dimensions of the SX3. Although both guns were too light for my preferences, a hunter who carries their shootin' iron around all day might appreciate how featherlight these guns are.

Academy does seem to have the best prices on these guns.

Some of the Browning fans around here have hinted that the Gold series may be discontinued soon to make way for a new model. I don't know if this will affect the future of the Silver model.

Post subject: re: Browning Silver Edition????
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:32 pm 

WinM12 summed up the Silver pretty good. The Silvers that first came out had alloy magazine and recoil tubes. They have since went back to the steel ones. The Silver is no longer a lighter weight model like the Fusion, Evolve, Gold SL's or even the SX3. It weighs like the Gold Hunter (replaced by the SL) and the stalker and camo models which are still not really heavy.

The Silver is a combination of models. It has the receiver and stock of the Gold Classic (FLD), rib design of the Fusion, trigger group of the Gold, and the bolt, carrier, and action arm of the SX2. They all share the same gas pistons and gas sleeve springs.

Because it has the the bolt and carrier of the SX2. It does not have the speed load or magazine cutoff feature. You can trick the gun into having a magazine cutoff. Just push up on the carrier a little while pulling the bolt back. Works just like a magazine cutoff.

Browning has scheduled production runs for the Gold in 08'. Sounds like they may be around for a little while at least.