CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: "Trustworthy" Shotgun 16 gauge
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:41 pm 
Utility Grade

Does anyone know anything about the brand Trustworthy shotgun. I just received one it's a 16 gauge single shot. It appears to be pretty old. Any info would greatly be appreciated.Thanks

Post subject: re: "Trustworthy" Shotgun 16 gauge
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:00 am 
Presentation Grade

I couldn't find "Trustworthy" in my branded guns list.....Could be a Crescent, Stevens, or Iver Johnson made for another company with their "Trustworthy" label stamped on it.

Pictures of the frame would be helpful for further information.

Post subject: Re: "Trustworthy" Shotgun 16 gauge
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:28 pm 
Utility Grade

I read your email I just got a trustworthy 12ga I have been looking for a stock for it for about a year do u think u could help me. :?:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:43 am 
Utility Grade

Anyone have any Info on a Trustworthy 16 ga single shot , was left to me and looking for some info its in mint condition

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:46 pm 
Utility Grade

Please send any info on the "Trustworthy" 16 ga single shot - shotgun?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:02 pm 
Utility Grade

This is so funny because my uncle and I were talking about his "trustworthy" shotgun just last night. He to looked for info on this gun for a long time, but could never find anything. Then one day just by luck he stumbles on to a little article about them in a hunt mag. The gun was made by cresant firearms company. That company closed in I believe 1932. The gun have little value. The article talked about it being made for something private. Im sorry I dont have much info. If I can get to see my uncle I'll post again.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:10 pm 
Crown Grade

Gentlemen. The gun is what is commonly referred to as a "Trade Brand Name" shotgun. A "Trade Brand Name" shotgun is one that was made by a major maker (and before 1940) for and was sold by a wholesaler or retailer who chose the name to go on the gun. Guns with the name TRUSTWORTHY were made by one of two makers, either Crescent Fire Arms Company of Norwich,CT (1892 to 1931) or Harrington & Richardson Arms Company of Worcester.MA (1871 to 1985). Sorry but I have no information on who the seller was. A word of caution. These guns were designed and made using the technology and metallurgy of the time when they were made and for the ammunition in use back then. I doubt the gun will have a damascus barrel but it will be chambered for either 2 1/2 or 2 9.16 inch black powder or early low pressure smokeless powder and loaded for lead shot. It was not designed for more modern high pressure smokeless powder, 3 inch or magnum shells loaded with steel shot. While the gun may still be fired if in good mechanical condition and with appropriate ammunition, I can't recommend that because I can't see the gun to determine its condition. If you are going to try to shoot ir, please have it checked our by a good competent gunsmith first. Value? The value of these old guns will depend on the condition, the amount of original finish remaining on the metal and wood as well as the mechanical condition. A prime condition example that appears to have come out of the factory yesterday afternoon might bring as much as $150 while a rusty rotten incomplete piece of junk fit only as a fire place poker might bring $10 for parts salvage. As for parts, the company has been out of business for almost 80 years and there are no off the shelf parts to be found. Look at the various gun parts auction sites for parts and parts guns. To tell the difference between a Crescent gun or a H & R look on the bottom tang behind the trigger guard for a serial number. That will indicate that the gun was made by Crescent. Also ost the serial number and I can tell you the year the gun was made.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:42 pm 
Utility Grade

I am looking for any inofrmation I can get on the "Trustworthy" 12 guage shotguns. I have been able to find out a little about them but not much. Does anyone know of a site where I can research the serial number to find out when it was made and get more information. thanks

Dlllwright

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:31 am 
Crown Grade

The gun is a "Trade Brand Name" shotgun. A"Trade Brand Name" shotgun is one that was made by a major maker (and before 1940) for and was sold by a wholesale sporting goods dealer, a retail chain store or an independent retailer who chose the name to go on the gun. Guns with the name TRUSTWORTHY were made by one of two makers, either Crescent Fire Arms Company of Norwich,CT (1892 to 1931 or Harrington & Richardson Arms Company of Worcester,MA (1871 to 1985). Sorry but I have no information on who the gun was made for or sold it. You didn't say if the gun is a single barrel or a double barrel.A Crescent made single barrel will have the serial number stamped on the lower tang (the part of the frame that extends back into the butt stock. Not exactly sure where a H & R serial number will be stamped but post the number in either case. More information to follow.