CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: re: Mossberg 930SPX - Forward Sling Mount - Any Info?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:26 am 
Tournament Grade

Thanks for the report, Smitty. Mine is on the way! :D

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:21 pm 
Tournament Grade

Sorry, I forgot I had a question. Should have included it in the last post.

Is there a way to add a swivel to that slotted forward mount. It looks like the mount itself is designed for the sling to thread directly through it. Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:06 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The sling attachment is designed so that one end of the strap from the sling feeds directly into the sling attachment.

I'm looking at getting something like this....

Smitty

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:33 am 
Tournament Grade

OK Smitty, that confirms what I thought. By the way, that sling looks good!

I have a Blackhawk shotgun sling with loops for shells. I don't see it in their current online catalog, but it is just like this one, except it also has the shell holder loops.

How would you suggest I use this sling with my SPX? What attachments do I need for the sling clips? Or, should I try to modify the sling itself?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:34 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

That sling would probably work, it looks like the end will go into "standard" swivel studs, I'm currently using an Uncle Mikes QD sling and it works fine, it's not pretty but it works... Try it first before you think about modifying anything...

Smitty

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:42 pm 
Tournament Grade

Smitty, thanks for the reply. But, I don't understand. How do I get a "standard swivel stud" on that forward attachment mount like you have?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:52 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

You can't use a swivel stud on the adapter, it has a straight slot. What I was trying to say was that a "standard" mount, like the Uncle Mikes QD or the clips on the photo you posted will work anywhere in the "slot" of the adapter.

Smitty

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:35 pm 
Tournament Grade

What do you think? Would you go for one of these:

Or, would you just attach the swivel clips already on the sling directly to the slot in the mount?

I didn't make it clear before. The clips on the Black Hawk sling are swivel clips.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:47 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

That's really nice!!! Until I get a tac sling next week, I just have my QD "stuck" through the slot...

Smitty

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:09 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Here are the pictures of my 930SPX with the GG&G front sling adapter...

Smitty

Post subject: Re: re: Mossberg 930SPX - Forward Sling Mount - Any Info?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:05 pm 
Diamond Grade

Smitty in CT wrote:
Here are the pictures of my 930SPX with the GG&G front sling adapter...

Those SPXs look soooo sexy! Thanks for the pix.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:30 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Here's the Wilson Combat/SGT 870 vertical sling mount.
I drilled out a recess for the detent in the foreend.
Here is another view.
And the sling mount with the Streamlight M3/M5 mount.
Tightening the extension by itself left just a little play in the foreend, but adding the sling mount took it all out. I believe that the sling plate helps to distribute force across the entire front surface of the foreend. This has completely removed any play.

http://www.weaponevolution.com

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:21 am 
Presentation Grade

m24shooter Do you think it's best to mount a sling on the bottom or on the side and if so Why?. The problem I see with mounting a sling on the bottom is you can't mount a flashlight on the bottom because the sling and mount get in the way. I like a flashlight mounted on the bottom.

THANKS
GC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:38 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

A lot of it depends on your shooting style. On shotguns, I like running the two point sling, and I don't like them on the sides. So that leaves the bottom. My light is mounted at 3 o'clock (that's the base for it in the pic), so the sling is out of the way.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:56 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have to agree with M24shooter on this one, I have the GG&G side mount sling adapter and using a two-point sling the gun isn't very cofortable to carry, I have set up a three-point Blackhawk and it works fine, I just don't have the need / use for a three-point with the SPX... The bottom-mount looks like the way to go...if you're using a two-point sling.

Also, I'm working on a forward rail attachment (mine will be for for a light, but you should be able to hang any picatinny accessory you want off of it), I'll hopefully post some pics of it this week....

Smitty

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:48 am 
Diamond Grade

m24shooter wrote:
A lot of it depends on your shooting style. On shotguns, I like running the two point sling, and I don't like them on the sides. So that leaves the bottom. My light is mounted at 3 o'clock (that's the base for it in the pic), so the sling is out of the way.

Smitty in CT wrote:
The bottom-mount looks like the way to go...if you're using a two-point sling.

Gentlemen, are you using the sling for a traditional shoulder carry or are you carrying with the top of the sling on your strong side shoulder then down your back and under your weak side arm?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:45 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I usually carry using a traditional rifle carry or diagonally across my back if I'm climbing over stuff, that's why I think the bottom mount would work best for me... The three point sling (side-mount) allows me to carry the weapon in front which is nice for some situations, just not what I need...

Smitty

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:06 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

A12, I should probably clarify what I said.
It would be more accurate to say that if I'm not using a single point I prefer the two point.
I typically carry African, so that the shotgun can be brought quickly into action from the sling. It also prevents having a muzzle up where rain or whatever can fall into it if I am outside for a while.
Slings (two and three point) along either side stink. On the right, it can block the ejection port, bolt handle, or chamber loading. On the left, it can interfere with pumping if I am running an 870 or 590. Shooting a 590 or 870 from prone, with a sling on the left, can get really fun. I wouldn't run a three point if you paid me.
With the sling underneath, I don't have any issues. You can still mount a light at 6 o'clock, just not the SF dedicated foreend.
I am used to having my lights on the right from my M4s.
On transitions with two points the way I wear them on shotguns it is fairly easy to push forward with my right hand slightly while reaching to the rear sling point with my left. I let the shotgun hang over my left arm/hand from the sling and use my right to draw my pistol. It takes longer to describe it, and it is a lot easier to show somebody. You really don't even have to do much with your right hand.
With a single point, it is obviously a lot easier.