CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Remington 870 shell catch latches remove/replace ???
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:41 pm 
Field Grade

Shell catch latches, at least I think (???) thats the right part name or term-inside the receiver to keep the rounds in the mag tube until cycled out. How are these removed and replaced? Is this something I could do myself or will I need special tools/training? I have a guy who says he can bead blast and black oxide finish my 870 Express (which is constantly turning into a rusty mess if I don't keep it HEAVILY greased/oiled) if.... I can give him the parts stripped down (it's a machine ship doing the refinish, not a gunsmith). The only part I've never stripped off an 870 is the shell catches, which appeared to be staked on the receiver.

Post subject: re: Remington 870 shell catch latches remove/replace ???
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:52 pm 
Field Grade

Well, I found one answer myself for the shell latches, but forgot about the ejector (which is the riveted part I remembered). This link says don't mess with the ejector. Thoughts???

http://refugeforums.com/refuge/showthread.php?s=&threadid=66406

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:12 pm 
Crown Grade

it takes a special tool to stake the latches. Replacing the ejector usually requires a refinish job. Brownells sell a tool that sometimes will let you replace the ejector without refinishing. The shell latch tool can also be bought from Browells or you can make one. I left the shell latches loose in my shorty 870 for about 6 months before I got around to staking them in. The latches will work just fine without staking, but they will fall out when you remove the trigger group.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:38 am 
Presentation Grade

Just leave the shell latches and ejector in and have it blued. No need to remove them. When blueing is completed just make sure all blueing salts are removed and oil the gun. Prefer to wait a couple of days before reassembling , time to let the finish cure or set.