CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Winchester model 12 nickle steel 12 gauge
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:57 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have a winchester model 12, it's an early gun serial number is 308###, It's a 12ga full, it has a very large button safety and 26 inch barrels. I dont know if the barrels are the origional length. Does nickel steel increase or decrease the value of the gun also what's the best way to tell if the barrel has been cut? I plan to sell this and would like a ballpark - i'll add some pics later.

Thank you,

Scott

Post subject: Re: Winchester model 12 nickle steel 12 gauge
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:55 pm 
Presentation Grade

scotraid wrote:
I have a winchester model 12, it's an early gun serial number is 308###, It's a 12ga full, it has a very large button safety and 26 inch barrels. I dont know if the barrels are the origional length. Does nickel steel increase or decrease the value of the gun also what's the best way to tell if the barrel has been cut? I plan to sell this and would like a ballpark - i'll add some pics later.

Thank you,

Scott

A good way to tell if the barrel has been cut is to measure the choke to see if it matches what's stamped on the barrel. The length of the barrel is measured from the closed bolt face to the end of the barrel. The front sight should be 1/2" from the barrel tip.

Without picturers and more info, a ball park is the sum of it's parts. $100 to $550

Regards:
Rod

Post subject: re: Winchester model 12 nickle steel 12 gauge
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:13 pm 
Crown Grade

I would suggest that if it is a 12ga. marked Full, then the barrel has most likely been cut. I won't say for sure that they didn't make a few 12 ga. guns with a 26 Full barrel, but if they did, it wasn't many.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:13 pm 
Tournament Grade

these are the pics, i assume that the barrel is not origional length - please give me an idea of what i should ask when listing this model 12. stock is very clean and probably refinished.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:51 pm 
Presentation Grade

Scot: It's got a nice clean look to it even though the front sight suggests the barrel has been cut. But even so, it appears in nice shape and with a cut back 26" CYL barrel it'll make a good brush gun.

It's difficult to label a price tag because there are so many variables. Some areas there's a shortage of M12's and some areas there's a surplus, but other than that: how quick do you expect to sell it, are you willing to hold on for a higher price. What venues do you have for selling? -- gun show -- newspaper -- Guns International.

If the barrel was original the gun would most likely average around $450, but with the shortened barrel, I would say $250 to $300.

Regards:
Rod

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:20 pm 
Tournament Grade

I'll be listing it in the classified section of this site today or tomorrow for $285.00 shipped.

Thanks,
Scott

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:23 am 
Utility Grade

I might give 170.00 shipped and you can keep the barrel. I have bought several 30" barrels for around 150.00 plus shipping on gunbrokers. I just need some recievers for all the barrels I have. I use them for card shooting. You mentioned barrels.Does it have two barrels?