CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Breda shotguns
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:51 pm 
Field Grade

Anyone use them or at least handled one before, shot one?

Thanks

Post subject: re: Breda shotguns
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:58 pm 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

I have several Bredas that I inherited. One is a Vega Lusso in 12ga. It has 26" barrels and is a boxlock O/U/

I also have a Breda Sirio O/U in 20ga. It is a higher grade boxlock O/U ,ST,AE bored SK & SK. I've not used these guns in 20 years but they seem to be rather nice guns.

Also, I have an Aries that has 3" chambers and I use it as a loaner for duck hunting. This is a good heavy semi-auto that has given me no problems and gets used each duck season.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:14 pm 
Presentation Grade

My friend has a 12ga BREDA semi-auto 3in 28in barrel. The barrel is threaded on the outer diameter where the choke tube screws on. I have shot it several times, it operates on the long recoil system like the A-5. It it a very well made ITALIAN gun. I showed him my yankee dollars but he would not part with it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:29 am 
Field Grade

I think some of the Breda guns (semi-s) are identical to some of the benellis and/or franchis with a smaller price tag and still made in Italy.

Post subject: Re: Breda shotguns
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:18 am 
Field Grade

kayaker wrote:

Thanks

Yup I still use my fathers Breda-Brescia from the late '50s.
Long recoil inertia semi auto, chromed barrel, blond walnut stock and forearm. Still functions fine (few jamming issues the last few years). It has a reversable coned washer in the recoil system to adjust the action for magnum or standard loads.
Pretty gun really. I had it bored out to between IC and modified so that it would accept steel shoot. Originally had an 'extra full' choke. Gun tears down to the tiniest of pieces w/o any tools.
Dave

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:23 am 
Field Grade

kayaker wrote:

Thanks

BTW that's me shooting the Breda in my thumbnail

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:00 pm 
Presentation Grade

Who is importing them, Legacy? Why do we not here more about them being used?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:34 pm 
Utility Grade

I have a Breda Brescia 12g semi auto long recoil shotgun,with 18.3 barel and external chocks.
My father many years ago bought from someone who was hunting rabbits in a place with no rabbits so the shotgun was in perfect condition when he bought it.
20 years later that it would be today he gave it to me.
i search for the model of the gun but nothing appears to be corect. i found on the internet a manual for this gun and its says breda automatic only..
My opinion about this gun is that is a real cannon. almost every shot finds the target and kill it as well..
after so many years still works just fine and i wonder why long recoil cannot find in the market again.
This gun has perfect steel and very nice woods and im telling you guys if you find this gun and like the long recoil system dont hesitate to buy it in almost every price.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:16 pm 
Presentation Grade

My gun smith told me he have used Franchi 48 rings on a breda semi 20ga.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:42 am 
Diamond Grade

Breda shotguns are very popular and highly regarded in Europe.

The first production in the post war years was the long recoil auto, which is very well made and brilliantly designed, being simpler than the Auto 5 and sturdier than the 48AL.

The 70s and later Breda guns are clones of Beretta models. The Altair auto is a spitting image of the Beretta 302 with the addition of externallly threaded chokes tubes.

The Vega OU is a clone of the 686, the Andromeda SXS is a clone of the Beretta 626. Clone in this case means that parts are interchangeable.

It is unclear whether Breda has access to the designs or whether Beretta is the actual manufacturer.

Also in recent years Breda has been marketing an OU which is a spitting image of the the Zoli OU under the name Pegasus.

Hunter mythology (prejudice?) in Europe has led to some strange choices, like a Beretta 302 with Breda barrel and chokes because the rumour is that Breda makes better barrels. It would be ironic if finally it is proven that Beretta made the whole thing all along! But no matter who made what, Breda shotguns are good quality and worth buying if the price is right.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:57 am 
Utility Grade

I recently bought a used 20ga long recoil autoloader. The bolt assembly is different than the one on the 12ga (my dad has one). Does anyone out there have a manual, exploded view or something? I only have literature for the 12ga. I stripped it all down and am in the process of cleaning it out. Can't wait to use it...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:13 pm 
Crown Grade

The early long recoil auto was the first semi I ever had; wish I'd still got it, a smashing gun.

In 1963 (before most of youse lot was hatched) me, my Uncle Geoff and his mate Johnny Walton shot 550 woodpigeon in an afternoon. The Breda was out that never to be forgotten day.

If I saw one today in decent nick I'd buy it in a heartbeat just as a loaner or backup.

Eug

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:25 pm 
Utility Grade

Guys believe me.. Breda Brescia long recoil semi auto worths a lot of money..
i owned one for 4 months and when i get really used to the gun i thought that this will be the shotgun that i will ever have..
so i dont know the model name so it is deficult to find parts.. and i have some problems with two parts..
please help to find some parts somewhere..

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:32 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Gun this link:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =156293915
Also search Breda on gunbroker for some parts.

Laziness....The habit of resting before you get tired.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:48 pm 
Utility Grade

Hi everyone, i thought some one might like the link below, while searching for a replacement forend for my breda i came across this old owners manual.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/28678805/BRED ... gun-Manual

Steve

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:36 am 
Tournament Grade

stevejnr wrote:
Hi everyone, i thought some one might like the link below, while searching for a replacement forend for my breda i came across this old owners manual.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/28678805/BRED ... gun-Manual

Steve
J ust saw your post now, a very good site thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:46 pm 
Utility Grade

Hey everyone, hopefully this thread still has some life left in it. I'm on a buisiness trip this week and had the day off so I figured I'd see what there was to do in the town I'm in. Imagine my surprise when I saw that there was a collectible firearms store within a block of a comic book store!

Long story short, I found a Breda Gold Series Argus, circa 1980 at the gun store in great condition for $250, so I picked it up, but I have a few questions.

It has a 24.5 inch barrel and has threads on the outside of the barrel for an external choke, but it didn't come with any chokes. Does anyone know what kind of chokes Breda guns will take? (Are there chokes for Benelli or Beretta that will fit it?). Also, since the choke threads are on the outside of the barrel is it safe to shoot the gun without a choke, or is that still not recommended?

Also, does anyone know what kind of magazine extender would fit the Breda?