CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 7/8 oz load with IMR 700-X
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:23 pm 
Utility Grade

I'm currently reloading 7/8 oz loads with Win AA hull, W209 primer, CB 1100 wad (in place of the WAA12L) and 17.5 gr red dot. I plan on switching to Fio primer and Promo powder my next buy.

I was a bit concerned when I looked up the CB 1100 wad on the Alliant site and they didn't list a recipe for 7/8 oz. Is this an OK recipe to use?

Also, I'm converting my Father in law's MEC 9000 to 7/8 oz. He has about 8# of IMR 700-x powder left. I looked for a recipe on the hodgdon site for this powder, but they don't list 7/8 oz option. They do list a 24 gr shot weight. Is this the same thing?

Thanks in advance for any help. I've already learned a lot from this forum.

Post subject: re: 7/8 oz load with IMR 700-X
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:43 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

illinisnare,
First, the change from the 7/8 oz/ load using the W-209, CB-1100, and 17.5 grs Red Dot to the use of the Fio primer and 17.5 Promo, is quite permissable, and will produce an identical load for all practical reasons.

Secondly YES, the 24 gram load is the same as a 7/8 oz load, for reloading purposes.

Another way to arrive at a load is to pick a 1 oz. load and simply drop 7/8 oz. shot instead of 1 oz.. Sometimes going to a dedicated 7/8 oz. wad such as the WAA12L will help with proper fill of the case. Swapping between the WAA12SL and the WAA12L will not create any pressure problems, and likely won't change the pressures at all.

DLM

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:12 am 
Limited Edition

There was a thread a few days back about 7/8 oz loads with 700x. I cooked up a batch of them in AAs and a few Remingtons with the CB clone of the WAA12SL wad and 14.5 grains of 700x (this is going on the bushing charts. I know, I know, my scale is on the way). I did not attempt to adjust the mec sizemaster I was using in any way as it belongs to a buddy, and I got very poor crimps with this load. Almost all of the crimps were dished, and a number spilled shot. I suspect this issue would be solved by switching to the WAA12L or it's clone wad. I also ordered a sample of the Downrange XXL Pink wads for testing with this load as well as Case's 3/4 oz load with Promo powder. These wads should also work better than the WAA12SL.

My other issue was that the powder charge was too weak. I used the minimum charge for IMR's listed 24 gram load (again, guessed based on bushing charts) and had pretty poor burn rates. All but one went off, and when I did my job they broke the clays decently enough, but I suspect velocities were all over the place and I know they left the bore full of unburned powder. My next round of reloading I will raise the amount of powder, probably to somewhere between 17 and 18 grains (actually measured this time), to see if I can get a cleaner burn.

So my suggestion to you for your father's reloader is to use the WAA12L, CB clone, or Downrange Pink and use enough powder to get a good burn.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:05 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Stobes21,
As you have already experienced, concocting a 7/8 oz. load using 700X, and using the bushing chart for the selection of a bushing, is a receipe for failure. In all probability the bushing will be two sizes too small, and the powder drop will be way too light. This will produce very low chamber pressures and almost will insure a dirty powder burn.

In the scheme of things, 700X is one of the slowest burning powders in the so called "Fast Burning Rate Range of Powders". It in fact is not much faster than Green Dot Or International Clays. Therefore low charge weights and light payloads will almost insure low chamber pressures and thus dirty burning.

Secondly, using a 1 oz. wad for a 7/8 oz. payload, without proper press adjustments, will almost guarantee dished crimps and can lead to shot leakage. Using a proper wad to get a proper fill in the case will eliminte these problems. Otherwise it becomes absolutely necessary to re-adjust the press to get decent crimps.

DLM