CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best gun under $800?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:33 pm 
Utility Grade

I am looking to buy either an O/U or Autoloader for under $800. Any suggestions would be great.

I'm looking at:

O/U:
-CZ Canvasback
-Mossberg Silver Reserve Field
-De Haan U1
-Charles Daly Model 106
-Remington SPR 310
-I've heard good things about Tikki as well

Autoloaders:
-Franchi 720
-Franchi 48L
-Smith&Wesson 1020
-Charles Daly Superior II

Post subject: re: Best gun under $800?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:37 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Mossberg 930

Do a search.....

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:37 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Beretta AL390
Remington 1100 or 11-87
Browning Silver Hunter

In o/u in your price range, it's hit or miss.

Dicks has a Franchi Diamond o/u on sale for $799. I'd probably go for that in an o/u with your budget constraints.

“The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.” —Samuel Adams

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:42 pm 
Presentation Grade

Yildiz SPZ ME 386$ at Academy or the SPZ ME Special for 789$ at the same place. Both nice O/U's just be sure and look at several so you can pick some nice lumber.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:52 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Used Beretta 391.

Your tongue is loud in the village, but in battle it is still. -- James Fenimore Cooper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:53 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Nothing on your list. TXgolfer has it right...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:12 pm 
Crown Grade

Remington 1100 or 1187......take your pick! :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:22 pm 
Tournament Grade

If you look around you can get into a better class for the same $$$. The Beretta Urika 2 391 can be found for sub $800 ( have seen them at several retailers for $775). The best deals are on the synthetic, but they are the newer optima bore guns. The 391 is a shotgun that will hold up to a lifetime of shooting and is first quality. I speak from personal experience as I own and use 5 of them. The big plus is the 391 is a really soft shooter and will not beat you up as much as an ill fitting o/u. Forgot to mention the 391 comes with shims to adjust the fit.
It seems the used price is not a whole bunch less, so in this case buy new.

TJ

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:46 pm 
Tournament Grade

Forgot to add another 5 cents worth...

You can buy a $400 or $500 shotgun that might make you happy (if you don't shoot alot). Or step up and buy quality for $800, that will hold up to whatever you throw at it. Your best bet is to stop looking at price and see if you can borrow or rent some of your choices at your local range. Remember don't be in a hurry, take your time and be an informed buyer. If you do have a problem with an off brand, made in a far away country, will you get proper support?
I am not a snob as I also own 4 of the guns on your list. They were, oh that looks like a good deal, mistakes and are now loaners.

TJ

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:59 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

BKTJ,

I'm not seeing the AL391 Urika 2 available locally in the $800 range. That is a great price. I have a Urika and Urika Sporting that cost more than $800 new.

“The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.” —Samuel Adams

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:14 pm 
Tournament Grade

I think they go on sale in your area at Sportsmans Warehouse. Here, in So Cal, They were on sale for $775. at Turners last week. Just did a quick search of the web and came up with this:http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=9935_13769_16630_16735&products_id=99056
Able ammos regular price $798.

Here is a post from dcx2 and he is in dallas:
Quote:

I just purchased a brand new 391 Urika2 synthetic from Sportsman's Warehouse for $780....

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:19 pm 

$500.00-$800.00: Beretta 390 (Wal Mart) and 3901 are gas operated. They are basically the same gun with different shaped receivers (390 angled/3901 rounded). They are fairly light in weight, have stock shims, and automatic magazine cutoffs. They each hold four shells and can't accept extensions. They are not too bad to clean. The 390 (Wal Mart) only comes in B/S with a 28" barrel in 12 gauge.
Beretta Pintail/ES100 is inertia operated. It's fairly light and has a slim forearm. They are very easy to clean and have an automatic magazine cutoff. It holds five shells and can't be extended. Shims are available for this model. This model does not have a magazine release making the unloading take a tad longer than most.
Browning Silver Hunter is gas operated. It's very light in weight and has stock shims available for it. It only comes in a Silver/Blue/Wood finish. It holds five rounds total. It does not have the speed load and magazine cutoff features. It can be tricked into having a magazine cutoff by holding up the carrier and pulling back on the bolt. They have the same gas system as the more expensive Gold’s.
Franchi 612 and 712 are gas operated. They are the same except for the receiver shape. They are very easy to clean and light in weight. They have an automatic magazine cutoff's and shims for the stock. They hold five shells and more with an extension. They don't have the best triggers in terms of weight and creep.
Franchi I-12 is inertia operated. Weight wise they are about average and balance with more weight towards the stock. It is one of the easiest semi autos to take down for a through cleaning. They hold five rounds and can take an extension. They have shims for the stock, automatic magazine cutoff, and a cartridge release lever. They do have a very modern look and are not the best choice for light target loads.
Weatherby SAS is gas operated. It is fairly light in weight and very easy to clean. It has a magazine cutoff switch and shims for the stock. It has a good safety shape, size, and location. It holds five shells and more with an extension. This model was made by SKB first then Valtro for Weatherby. Parts do not interchange between the two.
Winchester SX2 is gas operated. It has decent weight and is pretty easy to clean. It has a high rib design. It holds five rounds and more if extended. This is the only model that does not have a magazine cutoff of any kind but, can be tricked into having a magazine cutoff by holding up the carrier and pulling back on the bolt. The Light field model is the same but quite a bit lighter and balances with more weight towards the stock.
Winchester SX3 is the same as the SX2 with a much lighter weight and a more modern look.

With the $100.00 rebate from Browning you should be able to get a Browning Gold in you price range.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:20 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

It depends on what you want to use the gun for. If you are thinking about shooting clay targets, then I would not buy any of those O/U's. They won't hold up to the wear. For light bird hunting, any of them would be great. But you will be able to get more gun for your money with an autoloader, like an 1100-1187.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:31 pm 
Field Grade

i have a beretta 390 walmart i bought in 2003 (i think) i have put overt 5000 rounds through it without one problem. its not hard to clean and even with no recoil pad, just a plastic but plate it doesnt beat me up. i shoot predominatly 1 1/8 gun club loads and i have yet to find a type of shell no matter how cheap or light it wont cycle. i added a briley skeet choke and its been a great clays gun. i recently purchased a rem spr 453 for a back up gun, 380$ out the door i put 500 rounds through it and i am impressed with that gun as well. the spr required some fiddeling with the gas adjust but for the money hey its been a good gun so far.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:45 pm 
Tournament Grade

The 1100 is better with the lighter loads than the 11-87 and can be found for $500 or less used. The good about the 1100 is there are tons of them out there and they have been around forever. The bad is they are not adjustable like the Beretta autos. I have the complete set of Sporting 1100's and can't hit a thing with them. I bought them because they had really good looking wood and I got a deal on them. Learn by my mistakes, fit is everything. When will I stop bringing home every pretty face I see?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:27 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

There are more than a few high volume SGW shooters using Verona LX-500 series O/Us made by F.A.I.R. who would argue that a quality O/U can be had for $800 or less. Not hit or miss at all. Lanbers are another decent O/U though not so common. I'd mention Baikal/Spartans but I don't want to start a flame war.

Like most things, the best answer is a combination of your intended use and personal preference

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:25 pm 
Field Grade

Remington 11-87 until you figure out what you want forever, although, I enjoy shooting my 20 ga 11-87 very nearly as much as most higher dollar O/U I have encountered.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:34 pm 
Presentation Grade

Have a look at a Stoeger 2000. Designed by Benelli, well made, no frills, but great value at just shy of $400. Comes with 5 chokes.

Only drawbacks are that it doesn't come with shims, so if it doesn't fit you, it doesn't fit you, and it shoots A LOT better with a Limbsaver recoil pad, which you have to buy separately.

I bought one a few months ago just to play around with the Inertia Drive without blowing $1500. I've been shooting clays with it, and it's been great. Now, I'll probably buy a Benelli Supersport and keep the Stoeger as my backup/loaner/hunting gun.

It was REALLY worth the money. A great way to put a Benelli design though it's paces without spending $1500 to find out if you like it.

So...if your budget is $800, buy a decent $400 gun, and spend the rest of ammo/targets.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:03 pm 
Diamond Grade

I don't know if it is the best of the group you mention, but take a serious look at the Spartan and do some reading in the Spartan/Baikal forum. Great gun for the price.

Post subject: Re: re: Best gun under $800?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:05 pm 
Limited Edition

BKTJ wrote:
The 1100 is better with the lighter loads than the 11-87 and can be found for $500 or less used. The good about the 1100 is there are tons of them out there and they have been around forever. The bad is they are not adjustable like the Beretta autos. I have the complete set of Sporting 1100's and can't hit a thing with them. I bought them because they had really good looking wood and I got a deal on them. Learn by my mistakes, fit is everything. When will I stop bringing home every pretty face I see?

Maybe try a pad spacer? Bring it out about 3/4 to an inch? A spacer and an Old English Pad may work better for you. Whole set including 410? Very nice!

I would also go with the 1100 in the price range of 800 or less assuming he's looking for a target gun. Should be able to find a decent 1100 for 400 used. I found a 20 guage STD skeet/skeet for $368. I think it's a great gun!