CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: BPS 10 GAUGE RIFLED CHOKE TUBE OR BARREL?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:38 am 
Presentation Grade

I have a friend that bought a Browning BPS 10, and he is looking to see if anyone can help him find a rifled choke tube, or a rifled barrel for it. I have looked high and low, with no luck. I think he is nuts in the first place, for wanting to deer hunt with a 10 gauge. Can we say "over kill" :shock:

So if anyone has any leads, on a tube or barrel, please get back to me.

Post subject: re: BPS 10 GAUGE RIFLED CHOKE TUBE OR BARREL?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:56 am 
Presentation Grade

Aside from reloading componants, Federal is the only company that still loads a 10 ga slug.

For about $150 he could buy a NEF/H&R Tracker II with rifled sights and rifled barrel in choice of 12 or 20ga.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:19 am 
Presentation Grade

He already has the USH in 12 and 20 gauge, but he likes his 10 gauge as well. Now he just wants to rotate that 10 gauge slug, as it travels to the target.

I have put together a 2 ounce slug load, for his BPS, and we used them one day, to take a silo down. My shoulder hurt for a while after that day :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:38 am 
Presentation Grade

As far as slug performance, I don't think it will perform as well as a 12ga sabot slug because the 10ga is loaded to lower pressure levels.

With enough money anything can be done with a gun, but with a custom rifled barrel, slug molds and/or sabots, pressure test to develop load data...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:07 am 
Presentation Grade

The slug load I worked up is fine. I took some old 10 gauge slug recipes. Then I machined an old .735 12 gauge mold, to make a 2 ounce slug. I started at the low end of the powder charge, and started to work my way up. When I saw the first sign of high pressure, I reduced the powder charge by 10 percent, to keep thing well inside dangerous pressures. BTW, I also have a teflon wrap around the slug also, that would make it a sabot as well. It does fly as good as any 12 gauge foster type slug now, but he want to put that spin on it, with rifling :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:23 am 
Tournament Grade

You say you machined a mold, could you machine/cut rifling into an IC choke for that gun? I don't think you will find anything out there as no manufacturer is making slugs that can take advantage of the spin.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:13 pm 
Presentation Grade

Well cutting rifling in anything, whether it be a barrel or choke tube, you need a lathe set up to turn very slow. Mine won't go that slow. Then you either need a buttom, made to cut all the grooves at once ... Or you need the cutter, to cut each groove in the barrel. I don't have any of that either.

Post subject: Re: BPS 10 GAUGE RIFLED CHOKE TUBE OR BARREL?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:06 am 
Utility Grade

Hi Wileyhunter,

Can you provide some detail on your 10ga slug? I just started working on a similiar type slug and would appreciate any help you can provide.

thanks

BB