CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Beretta ES100 Pintail : Deserves the Beretta name ?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:53 am 
Tournament Grade

I'm looking for a reliable gun for hunting waterfowl.
The ES100 Pintail has an appealing price, BUT, ...what do you think of the finish, machining an reliability of this gun (I think it's made by another company) ?

Thanks for info....

Louis

Post subject: re: Beretta ES100 Pintail : Deserves the Beretta name ?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:29 pm 
Tournament Grade

One of my hunting Buddy's has been shooting the ES100 for 8-9 years,and believe me this gun has seen it all (saltwater-snow-mud etc...). For this guy cleaning is something that is done every 3-4 years with sandpaper and a wire brush. :!: :lol: :lol:
We were out on the skeet range this morning and it worked perfectly,even cycled 7/8oz loads!
I would like to see the Extrema2 do that after 8 years of abuse and neglect :wink:

Mannsi.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:11 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I don't know which factory it was built in, but I believe it is based on Benelli's Montefeltro action. Beretta owns Benelli. If you are worried about the quality of its construction, be assured that Benelli quality is comparable to that of its parent company.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:04 pm 
Tournament Grade

Do you know if the safety can be switched sides, like the 390 or 391 (I'M left handed) ? Don't think so...

Seamus,
Beretta owns Stoeger too. Don't know if the B. Group owns Vursan, IGA or other factories, but those aren't certainly as reliable guns as the higher end ones...but the markup is probably a lot better for the Owners :wink: .

Louis

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:23 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Oh, I didn't mean to imply that the fact it is owned by Beretta guarantees good quality. The worst gun I've seen in years was a Stoeger, owned by Beretta. But it is true that Benelli quality is good - worlds better than Stoeger.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:12 am 
Presentation Grade

The barrel is made in Italy and the trigger group is made in spain, or at least that is what mine says. They are still made but not imported to the U.S.

This was probably beretta's low end gun, it doesn't have stock shims.

I have had one for three years and put a lot of rounds through it and it hasn't malfunctioned since the first hundred or so rounds of break in. I have probably put about 3 to 5K through it. It is light weight and the recoil is increased because of this. You don't feel recoil when hunting most of the time, so if this was going to be hunting gun, I wouldn't let that stop me. I would buy another one if the opprunitunity comes along.

I believe the safety can be switched for left hand. Beretta web sight has a FAQ section and I believe this is in there.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:39 am 
Tournament Grade

If you want to make this gun left handed you have to order a seperate trigger group. I did through Gander Mountain. I have owned mine for 7 years now. I own the slug barrel as well. It is my waterfowl, dove, deer gun. If you do not need 3 and 1/2 inch shells it is a great gun. I would match it against any auto for reliability and I have owned all the big names. Several years ago I purchased a left handed super black eagle to replace it. I sold it after a couple of months. It was another great gun but it did not have the ability to shoot low brass shells. I don't know if you live in a state that only allows shotgun for deer like I am, but with the slug barrel and and a bushnell halo-sight this gun is as deadly of a combo as I have found. Almost all of my deer hunting group now owns a pintail with a halo-sight. I would highly suggest this gun.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:56 pm 

The Pintail/ES100 is a very wel made and reliable model. It's really nothing more than a renamed Benelli SL. It''s like most benelli's but has a bottom locking lug instead of the rotary bolt face of the current Benelli semi auto's.

It's thin thru the forearm, pretty light in weight, and has a stock heavy balance point. They are easy to clean and can go long periods between cleanings. They have an automatic magazine cutoff but, no cartridge release lever/button. They also do not release a round if the trigger is pulled on an empty chamber like the Benelli, Franchi, and Stoger Inertia models. This makes the unloading a little slower but, safer. They hold five rounds total and like some other Benelli and Beretta models that can't take an extension to hold more.

My buddy's own three Pintail/ES100's. Two B/S combo's 28" VR and 24" slug barrels and one 26" wetlands model. They have all been good models. They are also good choices for all around use and are just at home in the uplands as they are in the waterfowl blind.