CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 3mm or 5mm waders?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:57 am 
Presentation Grade

I am about to order some new waders from Cabela's but I still have one question.

It is pretty mild here even in the dead of winter though we get wicked wind and rain. It rarely freezes or gets much below freezing so will I be too hot most of the season in 5mm waders? Would 3mm waders be warm enough on those rare hard-frost cold mornings with a a pair of fleece pants on as well?

TIA

Post subject: re: 3mm or 5mm waders?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:11 pm 
Diamond Grade

Unless you hunt in extreme cold I would avoid the 5mm. If you do any walking 5mm are heavy and very hot. If you start sweating underneath your waders your feet will be colder anyway with the 5mm.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:38 pm 
Diamond Grade

I use 3 mm all year here in OK and am rarely cold. The key to staying warm is layers of clothes.

Here is the conditions we finished last season in.

I would focus more on the boot insulation. I can't stand cold feet and will error on the side of to warm everytime. FWIW I go 1-2 boot sizes big to leave extra room for warm socks!!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:35 pm 
Limited Edition

I wade through rivers with ice floating on top while fishing in 3mm, i don't see how you can be comfy with 5mm if it doesn't freeze over where you are.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:01 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

One more vote for the 3mm

I am the NRA, and I vote

"In the eyes of a tyrant, the patriot is a terrorist.." - DCx2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:12 pm 

I like the 5mm. If you bust thru any ice or set on your knees the extra thickness is nice. If you have a good pair of fleece liner pants, you won't get wet from your sweat.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:18 pm 
Crown Grade

I hunt in MO & AR. I have the 3mm. Never once thought I would be better off with the 5mm.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:18 pm 
Field Grade

What type of Pants/Long Johns do you guys wear under your Neoprene Waders when it is around 35 - 45 Degrees at first Light,,but raises to about 50 Degrees when it is time to pack up and leave ??? is that Under Armor any good for wearing under your Waders
AND the Last 2 weeks of our Season last year Got down to about 20 Degrees,,would you reccomend the 3mm or 5mm Waders then ??? we still have water that is NOT Frozen ???
I have NOT Bought a Pair yet,,but I want to see how this thread turns out before I buy a Pair
Thank you VERY Much !!!
Ohiyesa

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:48 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Ohiyesa

I'd still go with the 3mm. Avery makes some good fleece pants/long johns that have stirups to keep them from riding up - I normally wear them in the early season with just a thin pair of camo pants over them. Layer right and you're not going to be cold. I worry more about sweating on the way in and setting up. . . .

I am the NRA, and I vote

"In the eyes of a tyrant, the patriot is a terrorist.." - DCx2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:41 am 
Presentation Grade

If it does not get cold, why not get a pair of breathables? They are much more comfertable and easier to walk in.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:41 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I use canvas waders I hate Neoprene and will not buy them anymore. I have a pair of fleece pants I wear and put longjohns under them as needed depending on the temp.

"I dare do all that may become a man; Who dares do more , is none"
Bill S.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:12 pm 
Limited Edition

I wear spandex under my neo if it isn't gonna be below freezing the entire day, otherwise I add a pair of fleece pants.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:47 pm 
Field Grade

Well I will only wear the waders in Water,if we hunt Geese in the Cornfields we use the Blinds and then I wear my Heavy Gear,depending on the Warmth,on how much I wear
BUT the Place we hunted last week only Had weeds around a VERY LITTLE Puddle,,The water was about 10" Deep,,but we had to get on our Knees and rear End to hide in the Weeds
It was about 40 Degrees at first light,,and then warmed up to about 55 Degrees by 10 AM
So I wore a Pair of 5mm Waders of another guys,,that wasnt hunting that day,,and I had to put ALL my stuff on UNDER the waders,,my Thin Shirt (Like under Armor) my Sweat Shirt,,and my Zip up Sweat jacket,,by the Time we made 2 trips for ALL the gear,,and set the Decoys out,,and Set up,,I was Sweating,,so I was ok for the first Hour,,but then the sweat made me COLD,,and I have NEVER been cold when I wear my Regular Hunting Gear,,if I wear the Regular Gear,,I do ALL my walking and Decoy Setting in JUST my sweat Shirt,,then before I get into the Blind,,I put ALL my Shirts or Jackets,,or what ever I am wearing on,,and I am fine then & NEVER get cold
I TRIED to do everything last week with the Waders pulled down to my Stomach,,and then Put my Shirts and Coat on,,But it was a Big PAIN to do all of that stuff in the Field,and to then try and get my Straps was almost Impossible without someone helping me,,and then,,With my straps hanging,,we got some EARLY Visitors,,some Geese,,and then I was basically caught with my Pants Down :shock:
The Waders I wore last weekend were a size 10 Boot,,but the Waders were a Little tight,,the guy that Bought them weighs 135-140 Lbs,,I weigh 215,,but the waders were STILL comfortable,,do they come in the same Boot size,,but bigger in the Body ? and WHEN I get a Pair,,should I go an extra size or 2 in the BOOT & the BODY ??? and do they come with LONGER Straps so I can find them better ???
I thank ALL of you guys VERY MUCH for all of your Help
Thank you
Ohiyesa

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:08 pm 

Quote:
What type of Pants/Long Johns do you guys wear under your Neoprene Waders when it is around 35 - 45 Degrees at first Light,,but raises to about 50 Degrees when it is time to pack up and leave ???

In warmer temps like the 30's and 40's, just my Cabela's fleece wader liners. In cold temps I'll wear polyproplean long johns under the liners. The stirrups always go on last to keep everyting from bunching up. I usually carry my coats in and out and put them on in the blind once I start gettin chilled.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:47 pm 
Field Grade

Worc
I see where you said you like the 5mm Neoprene Waders,,and you said you like to wear the Fleece Liner underneath,, I usually just wear a Pair of Sweat Pants and the Sweat Pants seem to work real well,,I never get cold with the Sweat Pants
So are the Fleece Liners just as warm,,but only thinner ?
That way the Fleece Liner isn't so Bulky or Binding ?
I wear a Size 10 Boot,,should I order size 11 or 12 Boot for thicker Socks ?
And I wear size 38 Pants,,so should I get the Waders in
Size 11 or 12 Boot & Large or EXTRA Large Waders ?
Thank you VERY MUCH once again
Ohiyesa

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:05 pm 

Ohiyesa,
The liner pants are slightly thinner than sweat pants. They also have stirrups that keep them from wadding up around your shins. Most sweats have quite a bit of cotton which will hold the moisture against your skin. The liners moves it away and keeps you dry and warmer. I like to go one size bigger for the boot to allow additional socks when it's really cold. Even with 1600 gram boots I do this towards the end of the season.

Waders are usually sized by the boot size. They do now have "Big Guys" sizes that have more room if you need it. My waders are boot size 13 and are big all over for my 6'/200 lb frame which is fine for the extra layers associated with the end of the season temps.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:11 pm 
Field Grade

Worc
Thank You for all of your help,So I take it,you wear a Size 12 Boot,,I wear size 10 1/2 Boot,so I will get Size 12 Waders and wear 2 Pair of Socks,,or just wear ONE Pair of THICK Socks
and it sounds like I will have PLENTY of Room inside the Waders
Thank You again
Ohiyesa

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:33 pm 
Tournament Grade

Unfortunately, as in most things in life, there is no right or wrong answer here.All other things being equal, 5mm is warmer but less flexible and 3mm is less warm but more flexible. So, it would seem that the kind of activity (walking/sitting/crouching, etc.) and the nature of the weather (cold and windy or warm and balmy) would dictate the thickness of the neophrene needed for the job at hand.

But what if the weather is bitter cold and very windy but there's a lot of walking/slogging to do or the weather turns from cold to warm (or vice versa) in the course of a day? Such dilemmas preclude an always right answer. One can dress in layers but transitioning from one layer to another can be difficult to accomplish in the confines of a cramped blind while the rain is falling hard.

Ultimately, for me at least, different kinds of wading gear is needed for different kinds of waterfowling (or fishing for that matter). So I have canvas and neophrene, boot types and stocking types as well as my seldom but sometimes used hippers. But the original question was whether to buy 3mm or 5mm neophrene. If I could only have one wader, because I really hate being cold and because I like my waders to hold up in nasty conditions over time, I have no trouble in recommending 5mm thickness over the 3mm material.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:44 am 
Field Grade

dgludwig
I keep thinking that I will get the 5mm Waders because of the Cold Winters we get up here in Ohio,,BUT we haven't had a BAD winter,in Ohio for a few years now,,heck if I remember correctly,,the ONLY Cold day we had last Year was on the last day of Waterfowl hunting,and it wasn't really all that Bad,,but like 2 weeks later I went up towards Ashland to Coyote hunt,and it was COLD :shock: and on the 1 Hour & 45 Minute ride home,I saw about 500 Geese EASY about a Mile or 2 down the road from Fin,Feather & Fur :shock: I wanted to turn around and do a drive By on the Geese with my
AR-15 :twisted: but then I came to my Senses! and then right after that cold Snap,I saw HUGE Flocks of Geese flying behind my House every night,I kept thinking that IF the Goose season was about 2-3 weeks longer,I would have had to go out and buy another CASE of shells,because there was that Many Geese that if the cold would have hit BEFORE the last day of Waterfowl,,we would have had that much Shooting!
But as usual,,we were late and ALL we could do was watch them fly on by when I was out in the yard! AND if this weather doesn't change,it will be a repeat of last year.
BUT back to the subject,,does Proline (widgeon) or
Field & Stream Make a Good weather ? because I have a $60 Coupon for Dicks Sporting Goods,,and $60 Off of a Pair of waders is a BIG amount for me!
Thank You
ohiyesa

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:23 pm 
Presentation Grade

I hunt mostly in Utah with trips to Canada and Montana for geese. I use two different types of waders and find they cover all conditions that I encounter in my outings. The first type of wader is the Cabelas Dry-Plus® Breathable Hunting Waders with a 600 gram boot. I wear this wader in the early warm part of the season up to including skim ice in the mornings. I increase the under layers as the temps get cooler. My underwear of choice is the Cabelas ThermaStat Polar Weight. Very warm and does a great job of wicking away moisture.

When the marshes freeze over, then I get out my Cabelas SuperMag™ 1600 Waders. These are absolutely the best waders I have ever owned for cold weather duck hunting. I can stand in freezing water all day or lay out on the ice all day in these and never get cold. I switch to Cabela's MTP Polartec® Polar-Weight underwear at this time of year as well.

These are the combinations that work well for me and I’ve done well in them with temps as high as 75 and as low as -10. And I’m 65 and don’t do nearly as well in the cold as I did 20 years ago.

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.”