CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: re: 3mm or 5mm waders?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:27 pm 
Field Grade

dubob
Thank you for all the info,and I LOVE getting tips from people that have been doing this Waterfowl stuff for a LONG Time!
I am 46,I haven't Duck or Goose hunted since I was 16,but the very end of Ohio's Waterfowl season last year,,me and my 2 sons,,age 18 & 15 Starte to Waterfowl hunt again,,so I want to get us all some Waders,,and just buying 3 Pairs is going to Kill me,,so I need to find out which pair is best,,then sell something,,and then with the money,,buy 3 sets of waders
BUT I do wish I could by 3 pair for nice weather and 3 pair for BAD Weather,,maybe ONE DAY I will hit the Lottery,and then I will buy 12 Pair :shock: and IF I buy 3 pair,I am going to have to keep it from the NEW Wife :lol:
Thank you to ALL
Ohiyesa

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:30 am 
Presentation Grade

I’m guessing that the majority of the goose season in Ohio is held during that part of the Fall when the temperatures are reasonably mild. There might be some below freezing mornings late in the season, but generally they’re above that mark. If that is the case, you should be quite comfortable with 3MM for 95% of your outings. Let me suggest to you that you give the following item from Cabelas some consideration:

Cabela's 3mm Neostretch™ Neoprene Waist-High Waders with Lug Soles
Item:QW-830654
Our 3mm Neostretch Neoprene Waist-High Waders give hunters unparalleled comfort, protection, value, and are perfect for hunting from a blind. Every seam is bonded and taped for superior protection against leakage. The neoprene is laminated to a heavy-duty nylon jersey shell for durability and abrasion resistance. There is a double layer of neoprene in the knees to prevent wear. A smooth lining makes them easy to put on and take off. Lug sole boots are insulated with 600-gram Thinsulate™ Ultra Insulation and closed-cell foam to ensure warm feet in the coldest water.
Average weight: 8 lbs.
Camo pattern: Advantage MAX-4 HD®.
Men's whole sizes: 7-14.

The really nice part is the price - $94.95. Or for the same price you can get this item from Cabelas:

Herter's 3.5mm Waist-High Waders
Item:XH-830762
Waist-High Waders have all the features of the chest waders but can be worn in low-water conditions when the weather turns warm and when you need a little added mobility. An adjustable waistbelt holds them firmly in place. Warm 3.5mm neoprene is laminated between layers of stout nylon for abrasion, puncture and tear resistance to endure seasons of heavy use. Seams are cemented, stitched and sealed to be durably watertight. Double-neoprene kneepads and uppers vulcanized to the rubber boot promote long wear. Lightweight 400-gram Thinsulate™ Ultra Insulation in the boots effectively clutches your foot for warmth but does not inhibit mobility. Lug outsoles for firm footing. Steel shank.
Camo pattern: Advantage® MAX-4 HD™.
Men's whole sizes: 8-13.

Unless you always hunt water deeper than 3 feet, either of these would be a good choice for your conditions and location. And they probably wouldn’t break the bank. Good luck in your search and report back with some pictures of smiling faces and a pile of geese. :D :D :D

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.”

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:28 am 
Field Grade

dubob
You are pretty close on your last post,,but Ohio's Waterfowl Seasons are in 3 parts,Our "Early" Season
was Sept 1st - Sept 14,,and our "Middle" Season was on
Oct 20th - Nov 3rd,,and our "Late" Season(Last season) is
Dec 15 - Jan 27 I think or maybe Jan 31
But Last year it didn't get Bitter Cold until the Last weekend
BUT it WAS Cold! :shock:
So I MAY just get the 5mm Chest Waders and Pull the Wader down to my Waist when we are putting Decoys out and While we are Dragging our Blinds into the Field,,either way,,I WILL be out there and I Hope like heck that my Boys are out there with me! :D and I AM going to check out the Hip Waders you told me about
Thank You VERY MUCH
Ohiyesa

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:05 am 
Presentation Grade

I have the Cabela's 5mm waders with 1600 gram thinsulate boots, and I sweat like a fat man wearing a rubber suit in them. Wait a minute... I am a fat man in a rubber suit...

Anyway, the 5mm with Under Armor leggins, and Columbia fleece wader pants have kept me beyond warm on a field hunt when the air temp did not rise above 15 degrees, with wind all day. On the coast, we broke through 300 yards of ice to get to the blind with temps in the 20's. I sweated all day.

My next pair of waders will be the lightweight breathable kind. I'm not sure there is a "one for all" wader.

By the way - on the 5mm from Cabela's, I ordered my regular boot size, and I have plenlty of room for heavy socks.

- PJ

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:10 pm 
Field Grade

PastorJimmy
Thank You very much for ALL the Information you and EVERYONE else has given me,,all this info DOES make a difference to me,,you ALL have helped me,,and being NEW to the Waterfowl Game,all this info is a TREMENDOUS Help
Thank You
Ohiyesa

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:37 am 
Tournament Grade

Ohiyesa: If you remember from my earlier post, I indicated that a pair of hippers is a useful wading tool, "seldom but sometimes used". I've been waterfowl hunting and stream fishing on a regular basis since the middle fifties and if there's one thing I've learned it is that the water will always get an inch higher than your hip boots at some point during the day. They're nice to have when slogging around muck and bottomland, especially when the weather's warm but, for me at least, hippers are very specialized equipment.

Too bad about our Buckeyes :cry: but there is Michigan on Saturday! :twisted:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:59 pm 
Field Grade

dgludwig
I do remember your Post on "Hippies" :D I think I will end up getting the Chest Waders in 5 mm,,I MIGHT start Trapping Muskrats,Coon and Beaver I sold all my Beaver Traps,so maybe NOT Beaver,,but I MAY start trapping again to show my 2 Sons how to do it,,I figure I MIGHT be able to find a few "Cheap" Conibears around,,IF I do,,I will TRY and show them how to trap the Creek(semi Deep) and the Ponds in the area,,so I can use the Chest Waders for other things besides Waterfowl Hunting.
NOW I need to figure out which ones to buy,,I figure I will buy a Pair and let the Kids rotate on who wears them each weekend when I get them,,and Hopefully I can sell a Gun or something and then buy 3 Pair,,But anyway,,I was up at Dicks Sporting Goods a few weeks back,,and Dicks had 2 different sets of waders,,well 3 sets,,but 2 are the same,,the ONLY difference is 1 is 3mm and the other 5mm
They had Proline Widgeon 3mm in Max 4 for $89.99 and the SAME set but in the Hi-Def for $99.99 ,does a Paint Job on Waders make THAT MUCH of a difference for the extra $10 ???

And they had Field & Stream Waders in 3mm & 5mm in Max 4 for $139.99 ,,they ALL Looked good to me,, so what could be SO MUCH BETTER to command a $50 difference in Price ???
HAS ANYONE ever tried these Chest Waders ? either GOOD or BAD,,please give me your opinions
Thank You Very Much
Ohiyesa

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:12 pm 
Field Grade

I bought a pair of Field and Stream 5mm waders last year from Dicks Sporting Goods. I've only used them on about 2 dozen hunts so far, but I'm very happy with my purchase. The waders have yet to leak, keep me warm and dry and are lightweight considering that I no longer need heavy boots and extra layering to stay warm. If i'm not mistaken the pair I bought were Field and Stream Flyway 5mm Max 4 waders, most likely the same ones you are considering, only that I bought mine for $100 dollars. C@belas also has some nice waders that can be had for around $150, but I won't hesitate to buy the ones that I currently have again.