CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lee Key Slug Load
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:30 pm 
Utility Grade

I am reloading 1 ounce Lee Key Slugs that I am making. I have
Winchester and Remington Hulls. 2 3/4 hull. I like the Remingtons better so far. I have used both the Herco and Blue Dot recipes given by Lee and by Alliant. Questions are:
The quantity of Blue Dot (49gr) causes the wad to interfere with the crimp. I read about just trimming the wad petals down a bit. Is that OK to do or is it better to use less powder? Lee states 7/16 in. is a good distance from top of hull to top of wad. Is that good distance to use? What is a good wad pressure to use on these? I was finding out that it was taking significant wad pressure to seat the wad, though I was also attempting to push the wad down further to help my crimp. What would be a safe minimum pressure and safe maximum wad pressure? Lastly, I crimped a couple of shells and just went ahead and left the petals as part of the crimp. They did not crimp well and would not stay closed, but it wasn't a huge concern due to no worries of shot leaking out. Is it safe to shoot the loads with the petals crimped over?

Post subject: re: Lee Key Slug Load
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:40 pm 
Limited Edition

I've reduced the powder charge to 45- 46gr of Blue Dot to get a decent crimp with a Remington hull. If you notice on the data, the Federal Gold Medal hull takes the same recipe. The Federal hull has a much larger capacity than the Remington hull. Makes me wonder who came up with that load?
I liken it to a blivette, ten pounds of crap in a five pound bag :D It just doesn't fit.
You can give it more wad pressure, but the crimp will open up anyway after a while.
I have had better results using new Cheddite hulls and Federal 12S3 wad. You won't have any trouble stuffing 49gr B.D. into that. You can get new Cheddite hulls from Grafs & sons or Precision Reloading.
As for the ones you have loaded with the wads in the crimp, cut them open and salvage your powder and slugs.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:22 am 
Limited Edition

Well, those loads with the wad-petals tangled in the crimp won't be dangerous to shoot but their probably going to be all flyers --- as in group the size of a 4' x 4' half-sheet of plywood at 50 yards range.

Now, as far as the Lee slugs go your best bet is to steal some regular old shot load data for 1 oz. shot loads that use the 12S3 wad. They won't be as powerful a load but they will work correctly and fly straight. Personally I prefer the Lyman slugs but if you wan't to go with the Lee slugs that's what I have found works in terms of accuracy. And lets face it man if we are talking hunting load a massive full oz. of lead moving at 1,200 fps. at the muzzle is more then enough to kill a deer at sensible slug ranges. I'd rather have a slower accurate load then a fire-breathing speed demon that you can't hit what your aiming at with.

To the most serious charge of "ARMING WOMEN" I plead guilty on multiple counts.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:27 am 
Tournament Grade

The Lee 1 oz. slug could be roll crimped, using a clear overshot disc and enough filler wads under the slug so that the top of the slug is slightly above shotcup petals.
Lefteris.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:35 am 
Utility Grade

I don't want to buy Cheddite hulls or Federal 12s3 wads. I want to use what I have already. Does anyone have information regarding the hulls I have already? Is using 1 oz. shot load data a good idea for slugs? Someone said use a roll crimp? The whole purpose of me getting the Lee slug was so that I didn't have to roll crimp. Old Ammo, thanks for your information as it ws very helpful and I intend on trying the lesser powder charge. Anyone else on wad pressure, trimming wad petals, etc.?