CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pistol Grip Stock vs. Standard Buttstock
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:13 pm 
Utility Grade

I am thinking about purchasing a new stock for my Mossberg 500. I am leaning towards the Pistol Grip buttstock. My question is what are the pros and cons with a pistol grip buttsock? I have also heard that it is harder to "swing into action" with a pistol grip stock than it is with a regular stock. Is this true?

Any and all insights to this topic are greatly appreciated.

Andy

Post subject: Re: Pistol Grip Stock vs. Standard Buttstock
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:28 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Personnally I like both styles. The pistol grip butt stock is easilier to control during rapid fire and the recoil seems a little supressed due to the right hand absorbing some of the effect.
Now when you talk about being slower to swing into action I have found this not to be true. If a tactical shotgun is untilized properly the gun should already be mounted to your shoulder as you move from one location to another which would allow you to engage any hostility immediately.
Now if you are wondering what type of stock I have on my gun it is a standard butt stock but the one used has been shortened to the proper LOP and it fits me fine and the comb has been adjusted so that it shoots to the point of aim with 00 buckshot out to 35 yards. So I won't fix what ain't broke. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 9:01 pm 
Tournament Grade

Personally I like the looks of a wood standard stock with a dark finish, but for tactical purposes I would go with the pistol grip stock. It allows you to have your weapon sholdered while leaving your other hand free for opening doors, reloading, etc. This way you don't have to do any "swinging" and your gun is at the ready.

I've seen both stocks used on tactical shotguns, but really it is a matter of personal preference. The game is all about speed, and if something is slowing you down, or uncomfortable, don't use it :) ! It's your gun so set it up the way you like it and have fun doing it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 9:48 am 
Pistol grip vs. Shoulder stock, hmmm...
From a parctical point of view

Pistol Grip -
Pro: Shortens overall length of the gun for easier carry. These basically allow a shotgun to be turned into a very large smoothbore pistol. Very good in confined spaces where ranges are short.
Con: Other than the Wilson "Witness Protection" design, most pistol grips are fairly painful to shoot and practice much with as the transfer almost all of the recoil to the web of your hand. They also don't allow you to shoulder the gun for more distant (25 yards +) shots. Once in training, I brought up a pistol gripped SG to try using the bead and got smacked in the mouth by the recoil (using #6 low brass, target loads). Didn't loose any teeth but it did bloody my lip. 3" loads are out of the question.

Shoulder Stock -
Pro: Allows better contol of the weapon due to greater surface area. It is more difficult to dis-arm someone in close quarters. Also adds balance (astetic and practical) to the weapon. Allows SG to be used at all ranges that are suitable for a SG. Stock can also be used as a weapon when low on ammo or not practical to shoot (gas leak, etc.). Available in different lenghts-of-pull. I usually opt for a "youth" stock for use with heavy clothing or to make it a little handier. Most solid stocks allow for addition of recoil reducers and / or different recoil pads to suit users needs. Allows user to use a "butt cuff" to store more ammo in addition to a sidesaddle on the receiver.
Con: increases overall lenght, bulk and weight of gun. Not as handy in confined spaces.

Folding stock -
Depending on the design, these can be either a blessing or a scourge. If designed correctly, you'll get the benefits of both pistol grip and solid shoulder stock. However, usually the recoil pad is too thin and narrow (or non-existant) and the cheek area is too thin (ie: cuts into your face). Butler Creek has a new side folder that incorporates 3 round storage in the stock. I have had good luck with the Choate side folders and C&C (looks like a Galil stock) stock sold by GunAccessories.com
http://www.gunaccessories.com/ShotgunStocks/index.asp
Top folders are usually too painful (in the cheek and on recoil)and ungainly for me to enjoy shooting. I don't have any experience with the Knoxx COP stock but this doesn't look like it would offer the advantages of a more solid buttstock.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 10:59 am 
Limited Edition

I had a Speedfeed pistol grip/stock assembly on a Mossberg. Loved it. Fantastic control (for me). and the ability to use it from the hip if needed. My next purchase will be a benelli set up this way with a surefire forend.

$10.00 Transfers in the Houston area

Dealer in Tactical stuff, Laser Devices/Speedfeed,Blackhawk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 10:10 pm 
Tournament Grade

I would recommend the pistolgrip buttstock. You have the pistolgrip to be able to control it in confined spaces, but you have greater ability for distance accuracy when needed. With current technology, shotguns can fill the purpose of a short range tactical rifle. I've also seen tactical shotshell pouches that fit on the stock, providing extra space for ammunition.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:19 am 
Utility Grade

NRA4ever, are you considering a pistol grip only, or a full shoulder stock with an additional pistol grip?

Having used both for LE purposes, I'd say use the full stock. The amount of time to "get on target successfully" is less with the full stock.

To "shorten" the gun, you can always put the stock underneath your armpit, loosely or tightly, depending on your needs.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 8:42 am 
Field Grade

Quote:
I had a Speedfeed pistol grip/stock assembly on a Mossberg. Loved it.

Is there a gap between the pistol grip and the trigger guard? In the pictures i;ve seen there always seems to be a gap there.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 1:42 am 
Utility Grade

Jared in MT wrote:
NRA4ever, are you considering a pistol grip only, or a full shoulder stock with an additional pistol grip?

Having used both for LE purposes, I'd say use the full stock. The amount of time to "get on target successfully" is less with the full stock.

To "shorten" the gun, you can always put the stock underneath your armpit, loosely or tightly, depending on your needs.

I was considering a pistol grip with a shoulder stock.

As for your comment on being able to get on target better with a full stock, I think that's a good point. I recently noticed that you can turn off the safety and press the slide release at the same time with the full stock. I'm not quite sure if that would be possible with a pistol grip buttsock.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 1:45 am 
Utility Grade

Guardian wrote:
. I've also seen tactical shotshell pouches that fit on the stock, providing extra space for ammunition.

That sounds like a very interesting product. Where did you see it? I'm quite curious.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 9:35 am 
Utility Grade

NRA4ever, the only thing I don't like about the stock w/pistol grip is that during speed drills from the port arms position is that normally in this position you hold the shotgun with your firing hand around the stock, not the pistol grip. When transitioning to the firing position, you have to remove your choke hold on the stock and move it to the pistol grip.
For home defense, that is not really an issue because if someone is in your house, you should not be at port arms. For LE work, port arms is common cause you would get reallllly tired holding that shotgun out in front of you (high search) all day.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 3:14 pm 
Field Grade

NRA4ever wrote:
Guardian wrote:
. I've also seen tactical shotshell pouches that fit on the stock, providing extra space for ammunition.

That sounds like a very interesting product. Where did you see it? I'm quite curious.

Blackhawk industries.

Pistol grips are great. I think old timer shot gunners are coming over from the other forums. Pistol grip stock is the greatest invention since sliced bread.

Who the hell gets hit in the teeth with the stock in the first place? I don't know how you hold your shotgun, but where im from its against the shoulder tightly. I can shoot 3" mag rifled slugs all day long and my face doesnt feel like I boxed tyson.

standard butt stock is unnatural position for your hand to be in. Thus making the gun seem front heavy. It is natural for your hand to hold a pistol grip stock. Thus making the gun feel lighter and easier to clear rooms with. It also allows comfortable gun and low ready position when using a 3 point sling (or not.) The transition from low ready to ready is effortless.

Accuracy will be the same as any stock you use. It all depends on how you shoot it. The pistol grip will allow you to acquire targets quickly. But how fast you require targets is up to you. You can use what you want, but its all a matter of opinion. I personally feel its easier to manipulate doors and breech entrys with pistol grip. I use forend hand to manipulate objects while keeping hand on the grip (and the trigger.)

Pistol grip and standard stocks both come in various lengths of pull. Only pistol grip that I know of (with shortened LOP) is SpeedFeed IVS coming in at 13". Wilson combat or Hogue. Is 12" LOP (that's a standard stock.)

I still cant get over how someone gets hit in the mouth with a shotgun stock ::shakes head:: tsk tsk tsk.

For my home shotgun, I just use the standard stock. I dont plan on having a fire fight in my house. I am not someone that has bounty on their head. The gun is dedicated to just being there when I need it. So for home use, standard buttstock.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 4:55 pm 
Tournament Grade

i think the guy ment just a plain pistol grip with no stock

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 5:02 pm 

WanganKin wrote:
I still cant get over how someone gets hit in the mouth with a shotgun stock ::shakes head:: tsk tsk tsk.

I think that poster was talking about trying to aim a shotgun fitted with something like this.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:52 pm 
Tournament Grade

I recently bought a folding Knoxx COPstock. It's a recoild reducing folding stock so you get the option of the stock. It also takes some pain out of shooting with just a pistol grip.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 9:19 pm 
Utility Grade

i have a vindicator rear grip on the back of my mossberg 500 and a tac star pistol grip on the slide. front pistol grip makes the gun much more controllable.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 10:42 am 
Prefer the pistol gripped full stock for tactical application. I like holding the grip comfortably with my strong hand and pushing open a door, grabbing a suspect, or moving something with my off-hand while still safely pointed down-range.

I use a pistol-gripped short shotgun for breeching and CQB, but allow the three point sling to give me support and steadiness. Would never use it close to my face. It's like a well trained dog- handles good on a leash, but will still bite you if you're foolish!