CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Buckshot the easy way.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:10 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

After 20 years of reloading buckshot, I would like to share my method. The problem with loading buckshot is that it does not work well in modern one piece plastic shot cups. The reason is that buckshot must stack in the shell a certain way. For instance, 00 stacks in triangular groups of 3. That is why factory 00 buck loads feature various multiples of 3's such as 9, 12 or 15 pellets. #1 buck stacks in square groups of 4 hence factory loads of 16 or 24 pellets. The plastic petals on modern wads take up just enough room to preclude the pellets from fitting and aligning properly. The way around this is simply to cut the plastic petals off with a new single edge razor leaving the shock absorber base intact. This is easily accomplished by placing the wad on it's side and cutting with straight downward pressure. You may have to do a little trimming but it does not have to be perfect. I use the short Winchester red wads to load twelve 00 or sixteen #1 pellets. Either load weighs about 1 1/2 oz so use powder data for 2 3/4" 1 1/2 oz loads. It is important that you actually count the pellets. They usually settle into groups very well but you may have to jiggle the shell a bit to get them to settle properly. Use a standard crimp.

ES

Post subject: re: Buckshot the easy way.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:14 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Do any of you reload buckshot?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:41 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I think most folks don't use enough of it to justify reloading it.

In many states, you can't use it for deer, it's too big for geese, and as a result, doesn't have a whole lot of use in hunting. You don't shoot clays with it, so it's pretty much relegated to blasting away at junk and home defense... I personally don't practice "tactical" stuff more than once or twice a year, so it isn't much use to me... a handful of boxes of 5 rounds is enough to carry me through a year.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:45 am 
Limited Edition

I load quite a bit of Buckshot. I cast 00 and 000, both hard - wheelweight, and soft - pure lead. I've done the "Petals Off" thing when I want stacks of three 00 or anytime I load 000. Stack 00 by twos in a shotcup. Also played with cutting a wad to leave just the plastic overpowder wad, then using cork or felt cushion wad stack. I've loaded Buck & Ball and Buck & Slug too. Don't know what earthly use those loads have except to amuse me, but that's enough to keep me doin' it.

As a side note: Factory "00" Buck isn't 00. It runs a little smaller than standard 0 Buck and is loaded in a cup. Remington factory 000 is true 000.

DC

Post subject: Re: re: Buckshot the easy way.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:08 am 
Diamond Grade

.45 COLT wrote:
I cast 00 and 000, both hard - DC

Like .45 COLT, I too have loaded hard cast .36 caliber balls (OOO Buck)

Buckshot is its own "animal" alright! I don't like the plastic wad thing with OOO Buck as the driving platform is way too flimsy for OOO Buck which is only two per layer.....

I ended up with a plastic over-powder cup, fiber fillers, and another over-powder cup under the buck cup up. This drives square for me! Use at your own risk.....

The absolute and positively most important thing for buckshot loads is that they be buffered! That's if you want super patterns vs. mediocre. Find data that uses fiber wads with buffer, and you are on your way to great loads!

My OOO Buck is very hard..... Cast from Lyman #2 alloy. 8 pellets at 1300 fps (with 2 or 3 different powders) in 2 3/4" roll crimped hulls is the only load I have ever developed that will repeatably pattern 100% in a 30" circle at 40 yards!
(from a full choke Winchester Model 97) Most of the time it will go 100% even at 45 yards!
And to think someone scoffed when I mentioned OOO Buck loads being effective a while back!

Find yourself some buffered load data and work from there! Ballistic Products lists some "hard" buckshot; don't know how good it is...... The hard cast is a pain as it "eats" the pellets up 8 at a time or more.... But I've had nothing equal it in performance.

Slidehammer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:01 pm 
Field Grade

I am wondering if cutting off the pedals will increase the pressure of the load? I have some 00 loads I want to build but I can't make it fit without cutting the pedals off.

Scott

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:03 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Scot,
I would think that removing the petals would actually lower pressure a little by the reducing surface area of the wad as it travels down the bore. Decreasing surface area decreases friction. If you are still concerned about this, back off on the powder charge a little. Like I said in the opening post, I have been loading buckshot this way for twenty years with no problems... An ounce of shot is an ounce of shot... Load accordingly.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:42 pm 
Limited Edition

Ezra Smack wrote:
Do any of you reload buckshot?

Yup, (raise hand), most of my loading for shotguns is either slugs or buck-shot with the occasional non-toxic waterfowl hunting load. Saw this post a while back. Didn't respond because what you say is true. Cutting the pettles off a standard wad and loading via. weight works good and is quick and easy.

For those who want even better patterns and are willing to do a little extra use the same style wad with the next size shorter mid section and then place a 1/8" nitro card wad over the plastic wad (minus the petals) before putting in the buck shot, properly buffered. For example if I have load data using 3" Remington Plastic Game Shells for 1-3/8oz. of shot (twelve OO pellets) that calls for the use of the 12S3 wad I will instead use a 12S4 wad with the petals cut off and the 1/8" nitro card on top. These two wads are almost identical in every respect except for the fact that the 12S4 is about 1/8" shorter then the 12S3. Bumping down one wad length size and adding the nitro card will tighten up the patterns considerably.

To the most serious charge of "ARMING WOMEN" I plead guilty on multiple counts.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:40 am 
Diamond Grade

I'm going to load buck as I have about 10 pounds of it that I used when I had a .32 muzzle loader.
It's Hornady #0 and #1.
I shoot more buck than the average guy I guess and find it fascinating.
Just another way the 12 guage is versitile.
I got my 1st 100% pattern from 3" Federal 00 Premium copperized, buffered buck at 40 yards.
All 15 pellets inside a 30" circle from a modified 870 20" with inserts and sights, forcing cone relieved and bore polished.
That gun does well with #2 lead as well as copper, buffered, BB 3" 1 7/8oz.
Outa make a heck of a fox/coyote,stray cat load.
My guns do better with larger shot and buck with modified chokes.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:29 pm 
Limited Edition

Since this thread involves loading buck shot via. shot loads by weight of the buck shot I though it would be helpful to tabulate the weight of various combinations of buck shot using OO and OOO buck pellets. I have found the following to be true:

~OO buck pellets (0.330" diameter lead ball) weigh about 55grains depending on brand. (The 50grain ones in my previous post are extra hard and therefore weigh about 50 grains rather then the usual 55grains)
~OOO buck pellets (0.360" diameter lead ball) weigh about 70 grains depending on brand

In the 12ga. the buck shot pellets for OO load in layers of 3 and the OOO buck shot pellets load in layers of 2.

Therefore (rounding off to the nearest 1/8oz -- rounding up when it is not very close to lower number):

~ 6 pellets OO = 330-grains = 3/4oz. load
~ 9 pellets OO = 495-grains = 1-1/8oz. load
~12 pellets OO = 660-grains = 1-1/2oz. load
~15 pellets OO = 825-grains = 1-7/8oz. load
~18 pellets OO = 990-grains = 2-1/4oz. load

~ 6 pellets OOO = 420-grains = 1oz. load
~ 8 pellets OOO = 560-grains = 1-1/4oz. load
~10 pellets OOO = 700-grains = 1-5/8oz. load
~12 pellets OOO = 840-grains = 2oz. load
~14 pellets OOO = 980-grains = 2-1/4oz. load

Bear in mind that some of those heavier loads are only going to fit in a 3" or even 3-1/2" shell.

To the most serious charge of "ARMING WOMEN" I plead guilty on multiple counts.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:41 pm 
Crown Grade

I buy Hornady #4 buckshot, and load it on top of HS-6 on the Red Winchester wad with a Remington hull and a Nobelsport primer. I load it to 1325, and it will tear stuff up. Only loaded about 10 pounds so far, as it has limited uses.

BT

Cole

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:58 am 
Field Grade

Hi, just picked up a triple ought buckshot mold.

Will it not be possible to stack three 000 buck in a triangular pattern without cutting off the petals?

Will cutting off the shotcup petals not open up the pattern?
Will there not be a problem with leading of the bore, if I chop off the petals?

Is there a better cheap buffer material than cream of wheat?

Thanks for your time,
Bobby.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:55 am 
Limited Edition

Slidehammer wrote:
.45 COLT wrote:
I cast 00 and 000, both hard - DC

Like .45 COLT, I too have loaded hard cast .36 caliber balls (OOO Buck)

Buckshot is its own "animal" alright! I don't like the plastic wad thing with OOO Buck as the driving platform is way too flimsy for OOO Buck which is only two per layer.....

I ended up with a plastic over-powder cup, fiber fillers, and another over-powder cup under the buck cup up. This drives square for me! Use at your own risk.....

The absolute and positively most important thing for buckshot loads is that they be buffered! That's if you want super patterns vs. mediocre. Find data that uses fiber wads with buffer, and you are on your way to great loads!

My OOO Buck is very hard..... Cast from Lyman #2 alloy. 8 pellets at 1300 fps (with 2 or 3 different powders) in 2 3/4" roll crimped hulls is the only load I have ever developed that will repeatably pattern 100% in a 30" circle at 40 yards!
(from a full choke Winchester Model 97) Most of the time it will go 100% even at 45 yards!
And to think someone scoffed when I mentioned OOO Buck loads being effective a while back!

Find yourself some buffered load data and work from there! Ballistic Products lists some "hard" buckshot; don't know how good it is...... The hard cast is a pain as it "eats" the pellets up 8 at a time or more.... But I've had nothing equal it in performance.

Slidehammer
I don't understand, what do you mean by"eats the pellets up"?

2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, & Marine
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

1 Cross + 3 Nails = 4 Given

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:24 pm 
Crown Grade

I have found many of the observations in the posts above to be true. Buffer is a given in any load intended for shots @ 40 yards or more. If I am in heavy cover where shots will not likely be more than 30 to 35 yards, I don't want a real tight patterning load. I like a SXS because I can have instant access to two different loads. I prefer to have some pellet protection between the buckshot & the barrel. I use a 10 ga. for buck which gives me a little more room. I have had good luck with buckshot cast from wheel weights using a .35 cal. mold. If I am not using a shotcup, I will use a shot collar, usually a strip of mylar. Mylar is very tough & doesn't take up much room. I have heard of people using cardboard from something like a cereal box.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:34 pm 
Limited Edition

Hello:

The following is from a previous post. Maybe the charts would be of help to someone interested in this thread.

Regards,

Hello All:

I am trying to figure out an easy way to make some low recoil buckshot loads.

Loads that would allow my Wife & myself to get plenty of practice, become very familiar with the firearms, and not endure the usual pounding you get with full power buckshot loads in lightweight shotguns.

For skeet shooting, we are satisfied users of Case’s 3/4 oz. 12 gauge and 11/16 oz. 20 gauge Promo loads. My Wife shoots the 20 gauge without recoil problems in a Remington Light 20 1100 auto for which we have the extra rifle sighted slug barrel.

What I am going to try is just substituting the same weight of buckshot for birdshot without changing anything else except wad height if necessary. I don’t plan to use buffers or fillers as making good practice loads are the goal rather than perfect patterns etc. I also don’t want to mess with wraps. I just want to use regular wads and will use smaller buck sizes to fit inside the petals.

In 20 gauge, 12 no. 3 buck pellets is a 11/16 oz. load that will fit inside the shot cup.
A 12 gauge load of 9 no. 1 pellets is a 7/8 oz. shot load that will fit.

Either of these at say 1100 fps, the same as the skeet loads, should provide a very effective load. Recoil should be the same and allow plenty of light recoil practice.

I cut the petals from a 12 and 20 gauge CB wad and measured the inside diameter. I then drew out patterns of various sizes of buckshot showing the diameter they occupy. These are shown in the attached drawing. They allow one to compare different buckshot sizes with the space they occupy.

Also attached is a drawing showing some example heights of buckshot stacks, along with a buckshot size chart showing how many pellets are contained in various lite shot loads.

One should be able to simply replace the birdshot with a similar buckshot load with no other change to the load.

One thing that would change is that an equivalent weight of buckshot doesn’t “nest” as dense as birdshot, so the shot column is taller. A 12 gauge load of 9 no. 1 pellets might require a wad made for 1 1/4 or 1 1/3 oz. loads. This should be no problem.

That’s the plan, I am about to decide on the shot sizes I will use and order the buck and get started.

Best Regards,

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:49 pm 
Field Grade

dawei wrote:
Slidehammer wrote:
.45 COLT wrote:
I
Slidehammer
I don't understand, what do you mean by"eats the pellets up"?

He means if you are casting the OOO one or two at a time and the load requires eight it eats up your pile of cast buckshot pretty fast, that's 200 for 25 shells or about a hours work casting those 200 buckshot, if everything goes smooth.

Have fun

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:36 pm 
Field Grade

Sinjin1952 wrote:
Hello:

The following is from a previous post. Maybe the charts would be of help to someone interested in this thread.

Yes they were! Thanks!

Great thread! Lots of good info!

Post subject: Re: Buckshot the easy way.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:26 am 
Tournament Grade

Great info thank you everyone.
Another question for those of you who shoot without a shot cup.

Do any of you lube your shot? I know that unlike bullets, you wouldn't get any gas cutting, there's no rifling and the only way of leading the bore would be friction so maybe there is no need to lube the shot.

Has anyone had leading and then found that lubing the shot stops it?

Thanks