CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: high gloss or satin finish?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:10 pm 
Tournament Grade

I was just wondering what stock finish people prefer.
My 1994 vintage 28 GA BPS has the high gloss, I have seen others with the satin finish. When I bought mine it was between two 28 ga BPS's, both new in box. The 94 vintage one with engraved receiver and the high gloss with nice wood and a newer recent manufactured one with plain receiver and the satin finish and plainer wood. I took the engraved one with nicer wood and gloss finish. ( The prettier one )
I think, given equal wood, I lean toward the satin finish myself as it seems like it may not show the scratches as easily although the gloss finish appears to be pretty tough.

Post subject: re: high gloss or satin finish?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:34 am 
DFW Dominant Predator

Both :wink:
Gloss for pretty

Satin for working...

Gloss will work, mine does....Citori Super Lightning :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:55 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I prefer a nice satin.........soft!!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:28 pm 
Tournament Grade

I love the satin finish, I think it's the "less is more" POV, but that is just my preference. I just like the understated look of the oil finish on the wood. Sometimes a poorly done gloss makes the wood look like plastic, but a properly done one can knock your socks off.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:48 pm 
Limited Edition

Satin, looks good to me but I don't know why.

I have some antique hardwood furniture that's oil finished also looks good, but satin on guns.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:53 pm 
Presentation Grade

To me there is not a prettier gun than the one that has about a 1/4" of gloss on it. With that said, the satin ones are for work and the shiny ones are for show. I have made satin guns very shiny and got more money out of them. To me they just look like a more expensive gun.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:28 pm 
Presentation Grade

I like both a satin and a gloss finish depending on the guns use.
I like the gloss finish on my Browning XT but it's a target gun so that's ok. I prefer the satin finish for my field guns.
Eventually though I refinish most of my guns with my own process, regardless of the factory finish, using numerous thin coats of tung oil.
I love all varieties of walnut and prefer to enhance the wood grain rather than bury it with too much of that deep lacquer look. The tung oil also makes it easy to add additional coats to maintain and protect the wood in most conditions (except my waterfowling guns, they are a different story).

RVN 67,68 & 69

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:03 am 
Utility Grade

I have always liked an oil finished stock.
That's why when I recently bought this new citori
I thought about striping and oiling it.
But what I might do is just add a recoil pad
and leave the finish alone (it might grow on me)

Post subject: Re: high gloss or satin finish?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:38 pm 
Crown Grade

sceva wrote:
I think, given equal wood, I lean toward the satin finish myself as it seems like it may not show the scratches as easily although the gloss finish appears to be pretty tough.

If the gun has a typical, modern satin finish (as opposed to an oil finish), I would not get too used to it being satin.

These satin finishes don't stay satin too long. I received my BT99 as a 30 year service award in Feb. 2007, it WAS satin.

After a couple months of shooting/handling for trap each weekend, its gloss. Not that I mind at all.

I expected this since I had the same experiance with a Remington 870TC and a 20g Wingmaster, they started satin and are now gloss.

These are a mat coating that polishes up with use, the target guns that see a couple 100 shells/week "gloss up" pretty quickly :wink: