CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: fastest pump gun to operate?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 5:46 pm 
Diamond Grade

which one is the fastest to operate and the smoothest? thanks sj :?:

Post subject: Re: fastest pump gun to operate?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 6:04 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

In Tom Knapps hands it's the Benelli Nova. World Record
8 hand thrown clays and shooting each with a different trigger pull before they hit the ground. That's sub 3 seconds by the way.

In our meager hands it's the one we shoot most often.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 6:54 pm 
Presentation Grade

i don't know about fastest but it would hard to beat the old Remington 31 for smooth.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:36 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Nothin' beats the old Model 12 for the pump gun title.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 9:00 pm 
Ornithology Expert

The speed depends on the shooter and the condition of the gun. The Nova that Mr. Knapp used was gone over just a bit. Not huge modifications, just cleaned up a bit on the inside, the same as my 870. The tough part is coordinating your muscles to start the pump at t he right time, to reverse it without delay, and pull the trigger as soon as the new shell is locked.

-bob

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 1:04 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Pumper,
By the way, Tom Knapp shoots his demonstrations with guns STRAIGHT OUT OF THE BOX. He actually assembles the Nova in front of the crowd. It's part of the Benelli's pitch. Now the gun he shot the world record with was one of "his" guns but in his demo's around the world they always have a local Benelli dealer bring New In Box guns and he assembles and shoots. It's amazing by the way. If you ever get a chance to see him do it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 1:05 am 
Crown Grade

Early model Win M-12, the one before the trigger interupter. Hold the trigger down and the gun will fire upon closing the bolt.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 1:12 am 
Ornithology Expert

Thanks for the update Tex. I saw, I believe on the history channel or American shooter, footage of an old exhibition shooter who would break 7 had tossed clays with a Winchester model 97. After 100 years the bar has been raised by one clay which says a lot for the shooters and not the guns if you asked me.

-bob

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 9:36 am 
Crown Grade

Re: fastest pump gun to operate?

MINE :!: :wink: :lol: :lol:

A lot is made of which is the "fastest" even autoloaders. I am not a real "autoloader guy" but I had a Benelli SL80 and still have an old A5 that was my Dad's, the Benelli was certainly faster cycling than the A5 but the A5 was certainly fast enough and I have no complaints. Both were faster than the shooter :lol:

The smoothest "cranking" pumps I have encountered are my Ithaca 37 Supreme Grade and the Rem. 31; closely followed by a few Win. M12's.

In practical use, I shoot my "battery" of various 870 Wingmasters and target grades as fast as the Ithaca 37 Supreme Grade on skeet and sporting clays doubles and have not encountered any problems on any doubles presentations in these games with either the 37 or 870's.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 5:02 pm 
Crown Grade

That old gunner was likely Herb Parsons and he was limited to seven shots in his gun. Knowing people who knew him personally, he was a great enough competitor that it is likely he would have done eight with that old gun like Tom with the Benelli if it would hold that many. These feats are truly spectacular and are amazing examples of these performers' abilities.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 5:22 pm 
Diamond Grade

well,it doesn't matter now because I went out this morning and bought a IZH-27 o/u.I wanted an o/u but that was all I can afford.We will see how it goes.I still have my 303,that will always be here as a backup if needed.Only gave $379.00 for it sj :D

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 6:34 pm 
Crown Grade

sjones wrote:
well,it doesn't matter now because I went out this morning and bought a IZH-27 o/u.

There you go there's more than one answer to a question :!:

I'm sure that trigger mechanizm will be fast enough :wink: :lol:

Let us know how it works out, ENJOY! :D

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 8:05 pm 
Ornithology Expert

Two independent triggers are faster than one selective trigger.

-bob

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 11:26 pm 
Limited Edition

:oops: Ah... I have only one question... Ahh... Whats the rush??? :) :) :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 8:17 am 
Diamond Grade

was just curious about the pumps,have a 303 thats like new and wanted a o/u.Wanted a beretta 682,but sure can't afford one so bought the baikal.Got tired of going around and picking up hulls,now I don't have to. sj :D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 5:20 am 
Diamond Grade

:D Since some experienced folks are into this thread... WHY am I, after pumpgunning for decades, all of a sudden short-shucking? And doing it repeatedly!!! This is at skeet, FYI. Appreciate any comments.Thanks///olde pharte/// :oops:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 8:53 am 
Crown Grade

1gsplover wrote:
:This is at skeet, FYI.

Everyone KNOWS that you can't shoot skeet with a pump! :wink:

Actually it never stopped me from doing it. :lol:

I have not had the problem you describe though, I can only offer some thoughts;

1.) Are you wearing differnt shooting clothing?

2.) For some reason are you trying to "crank" the gun too fast instead of just concentrating on the two targets in succession? Sort of like some shooters develope a "flinch" by trying to be too careful or focusing too much on one aspect of taking the shot.

3.) Ammo OK, have you switched ammo recently?

4.) Gun OK, clean and in good order? i.e., chamber in good shape, action clean and lightly lubed etc.

5.) Have you gone through any physical changes since this started?

There's a few things I could think up to consider.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 11:36 am 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

Some years back, if you shot skeet with a .410 competitivly you had a Model 42. Probably had a Cutts on it and had no problem whatever with doubles. I have a couple Model 42s and have a great time making a fool of myself on the skeet range with them. Mine are both full choked and I'm not the best skeet shot in the world. Doesn't stop me from having fun anyway! The fastest pump at one time was probably the Model 12. Might not be today? Who cares? I can work the slide on my Model 12 and 42s plenty fast enough for any second or third shot I've ever had. If I fail on the second shot, it isn't because of pumping the action.

BP

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 4:18 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

for pure operating ease, an old model 12 would probably be the gun. the benelli shooter could do the same thing with about any gun he practiced with. exhibition shooters practice enough that it is work. i was on an army pistol team in 1971-2, and we shot so much it (unbelievable, i know) got to be more work than fun.