CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Over Under will not cock the top barrel
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:28 pm 
Utility Grade

I own a remington spartan 12 gauge over under. Recently, I have had problems with the top barrel cocking. The cocking mechanism is obviously attached to the breach and it sometimes works for the top barrel. That ended suspicion of a broken spring. However, it still will work properly on occasion, but as a rule of thumb only the bottom barrel cocks and will fire. The second pull of the trigger doesn't do anything. I and another friend who is more knowledgable than I am have both been stumped. The gun has been cleaned, cleaned, and cleaned again, and given nothing short of an oil bath and still I have made no progress. If anyone has any suggestions of what i can do, or if anyone has had similar problems please, let me know. Thank you so much for your time.

Post subject: re: Over Under will not cock the top barrel
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:19 am 

Since the spartan is a baikal, you might ask in the Baikal forum here on SGW. Be careful, though, your post might be taken as a negative comment on the baikal and they are hardcore down there! :lol:

Kill 'em all

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:18 am 
Utility Grade

i had the same problem recently with a new marlin lc smith o/u 20 ga. dealer's gunsmith disasembled, cleaned all parts, found nothing. but since, last 100 shells functioned perfectly. said old lube can do such a thing (even in new gun).

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:56 pm 
Limited Edition

Make sure you open he gun fully so that the cocking rod gets full travel to re set yhe sears (no need to be harsh)just make sure it opens until you feel the hard stop.

Bobcat

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:52 pm 
Crown Grade

I thought they were built like a tank?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:28 am 
Limited Edition

Last edited by USMC-Ret on Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:13 am 
Crown Grade

Well, I guess it means that the quality of the gun ain't up to snuff and the problem would have been best solved prior to making the purchase decision. Get it fixed, then look into a gun that will go bang all the time. If you read the variouis posts about these guns supposedly being built like tanks, it leaves room to wonder about the validity of that claim.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:19 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Are you sure the top barrel is not cocking? you said it "won't fire". I think you need to cock it and then pull the stock and see whether it is cocked or if the probem is in the trigger. does the gun have an "inertia trigger"?
Take the stock off, clean it, work the action and see what is actually taking place.

Post subject: Re: re: Over Under will not cock the top barrel
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:27 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Bill M. wrote:
Are you sure the top barrel is not cocking? you said it "won't fire". I think you need to cock it and then pull the stock and see whether it is cocked or if the probem is in the trigger. does the gun have an "inertia trigger"?
Take the stock off, clean it, work the action and see what is actually taking place.

Well, at least it is not firing when he closes it, which is one possible result of the above stated, type problems.

Now when that happens, you know it in a hurry!

But I agree, taking the stock off and seeing just what is the problem, is the way to go.

Clyde

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:46 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

SS wrote:
Well, I guess it means that the quality of the gun ain't up to snuff and the problem would have been best solved prior to making the purchase decision. Get it fixed, then look into a gun that will go bang all the time. If you read the variouis posts about these guns supposedly being built like tanks, it leaves room to wonder about the validity of that claim.

For two weeks there was a thread specifically asking for people to post about malfunctions with their Baikals/Spartan. This post along with the number from that thread raises the total to about 5. IIRC for all your carping against Baikals, you declined to note any specific examples yourself. Your low opinion of this gun is well known and as usual you make a point of overstating your case.

No one has yet to claim every Baikal is trouble free. Lemons occur in all lines as was quickly noted in this very thread. Rather than addressing the man's problem like the knowledgeable shotgunner you've claimed you are, you highjack the thread and try to turn it into another one of your anti-Baikal rants.

This does your credibility no good.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:52 am 
Limited Edition

Last edited by USMC-Ret on Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Over Under will not cock the top barrel
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:50 am 
Crown Grade

whitepony37188 wrote:
I own a remington spartan 12 gauge over under. Recently, I have had problems with the top barrel cocking. The cocking mechanism is obviously attached to the breach and it sometimes works for the top barrel. That ended suspicion of a broken spring. However, it still will work properly on occasion, but as a rule of thumb only the bottom barrel cocks and will fire. The second pull of the trigger doesn't do anything. I and another friend who is more knowledgable than I am have both been stumped. The gun has been cleaned, cleaned, and cleaned again, and given nothing short of an oil bath and still I have made no progress. If anyone has any suggestions of what i can do, or if anyone has had similar problems please, let me know. Thank you so much for your time.

Get ye to a gunsmith! For under $100, they should be able to at least diagnose the problem - if not outright fix it.

When you say you cleaned it - did you remove the buttstock from the receiver and examine the innards? What does it look like in there?

It may be a very simple problem such as a gummed up action. I had an O/U that would not fire the second barrel due to a very small piece of bedding material from around the stock bolt flaking off and wedging itself into the action!

Things happen - regardless of the brand of gun you're using.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:08 pm 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

This incident bears out what SS, myself and several others on this board have been saying all along. The Cheap imports are a hit or miss deal, In this case the poster missed,, They lack quality control.. I will agree, he should post it on the Bakai Forum, he'll get more symathy as a lot of those guy have been through similiar situations..Bushrod

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:30 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Many have reported their Baikals being full of grease and metal shavings inside the receiver. If that's the case with your gun, there may be something hanging up in there. Remove the receiver from the stock (the Baikal isn't a complex design, but there are some small parts, so be careful poking around in there). Get a couple of cans of brake cleaner to flush the inside of the receiver. Dry the inside of the receiver with compressed air (or a hair dryer will work if you don't have a compressor). Use your favorite lubricant of choice. Flood the inside of the receiver well, and let it sit overnight to work its way into all the nooks and crannies. Next day, wipe off the excess from the outside and reassemble the gun.

Another thought. Baikal guns are plagued with broken firing pin problems. I have a gun (a Bolognini, not a Baikal) where the pin had broken off at the neck, and the gun worked intermittently with the broken pin for a few days until I figured out what was wrong.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:03 pm 

To the poster above who asked if Baikals have inertia triggers. I don't know if the design was changed at all when it became the remmy spartan, but as I've said before, I've got a Baikal that's a little older, an IZH27 from when they were imported by European American Arms. It has a mechanical trigger.

Kill 'em all

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:47 pm 
Presentation Grade

natty bumpo wrote:
This incident bears out what SS, myself and several others on this board have been saying all along. The Cheap imports are a hit or miss deal, In this case the poster missed,, They lack quality control.. I will agree, he should post it on the Bakai Forum, he'll get more symathy as a lot of those guy have been through similiar situations..Bushrod

http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3918

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:53 pm 
Presentation Grade

SS wrote:

http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3375

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:59 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Oldhunter... what's your point? That sometimes other guns have problems too?

Find me a brand & model of gun that has NEVER had a problem, and I'll buy it. FYI, there isn't one...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:07 am 
Presentation Grade

drsfmd wrote:
Oldhunter... what's your point? That sometimes other guns have problems too?

Find me a brand & model of gun that has NEVER had a problem, and I'll buy it. FYI, there isn't one...

I quess that is the point. There's nothing made by man that can't have a problem or two. The guy asked for help, not for somebody to criticize his decision to buy what he wants to buy.