CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Perazzi TM1 Trap single
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 10:55 am 
Requesting opinions from A through AAA shooters before I buy.
I am an intermediate shooter, consistently in mid to high 20's. Currently shooting a Citori XT. Am looking for a new gun in order to pick up a few extra clays.
Thanks!
Larry

Post subject: Re: Perazzi TM1 Trap single
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 4:32 pm 
Presentation Grade

Don't fall into the trap of thinking a new gun is going to make a great difference. it might but it might not either. The TM is a fine shotgun and a higher grade gun than an XT but that's no guarantee that it will get you the extra targets. Frank Little, one of the great trap champions said that trap is 90% mental, 10% equipment. I noticed though that he shot a Perazzi. In my case I shot the best skeet of my life with a Beretta 682 with Briley skeet tubes. Thought surely that a K80 would make me that much better. Never did.. went back to a 682. There are enough TM1's around that you should be able to borrow one to see if it will do what you want. I personally think the XT is too heavy but that's just my opinion. A single barrel is probably a better choice for handicap than an o/u but that's just my opinion too.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 4:38 pm 
Presentation Grade

I was in the same position as you are about 29 years ago. Shooting a Beretta and convinced I could pick up a few more birds with a Perazzi.

I didn't pick up any more, just stayed about the same but got a lot of satisfaction from shooting that Perazzi.

With time and practice, more birds came but it wasn't the gun...it was me.

Still don't regret buying the Perazzi though. I shoot it to this day.

Ka6otm

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 9:31 pm 
Tournament Grade

Exactly!! If the gun was the problem, Larry wouldn't be shooting in the 20's consisently. Those 2-3 dropped birds have nothing to do with the gun.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 11:23 am 
Limited Edition

Don't mistake a "gun" for "gun fit". A better fitting gun might be the answer. Did you have your XT custom fit? Or was it a "decent fit" off the shelf? Gun fit not only helps you pick up a target or two, but makes the whole day more enjoyable at the trap field. If you want to start collecting shotguns, by all means buy another one. TM1s have been around a long time. Considering the fact that they have been around a while, they are likely to have had modifications made to the stock for proper fit (throughout the series of gun owners they have had over the years). I look at every TM1 I see at the gun shops. I can't remember when I last saw one that was truly "original condition". I say this just to let you know that the TM1 you plan to buy might shoot better because of the stock modifications, not because it's a TM1 -- although it doesn't matter if it raises your score! And like so many other shooters, I wish I had never sold my TM1, which I bought used for $750 in 1985.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 2:46 pm 
KJB has stated a point I too have noticed..You will seldom find a TM1 that hasn't had alterations made one way or another. I wish I still had mine. Being the typical trap shooter the grass looked greener and I had to try something different. It will take a good season of making changes to just get back to where I was when I sold the TM1 :oops: Adjustable butt, comb, porting, long cone,and lord only knows what else will catch my fancy. Here I go again!!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 9:15 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

A shotgun is nothing more than a piece of pipe with a firing system and a chunk of wood attached. Buy and shoot the one that FITS you and your style of shooting. I have owned and shot almost all of the currently out there and have decided that there is no "magic gun",no "cant miss" ammo,no "perfect way" to shoot,no "perfect" shooters. We all miss a few targets--some(like myself) more than others.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 4:01 pm 
I shot a TM1 and sold it and bought a Citori XT which I like better and shoot better. Old TM-1's are excellent guns, but most have been shot a lot and often need repairs which are very expensive. They are also 35 year old technology. The XT is the best fitting, softest shooting, accurate (both barrels print where they should) and reliable gun I've owned - which includes Perazzi TM-1's, Mirage and MX-8's.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:51 pm 
Tournament Grade

dickgtax wrote:
I shot a TM1 and sold it and bought a Citori XT which I like better and shoot better. Old TM-1's are excellent guns, but most have been shot a lot and often need repairs which are very expensive. They are also 35 year old technology. The XT is the best fitting, softest shooting, accurate (both barrels print where they should) and reliable gun I've owned - which includes Perazzi TM-1's, Mirage and MX-8's.
The Browning is boring and has no soul. It is also too thick in the wrist for my liking. Get a TM1. There are some nice ones out there. Just know what you are looking for.

Post subject: re: Perazzi TM1 Trap single
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:47 am 
Field Grade

Foster Bartholow, if I remember correctly, shoots a Citori XT Trap Combo and at the Grand this year he and Leo Harrison III called it a tie after both hit 900 straight in the shootoff for the Clay Target Championship. So the XT is plenty capable, but I bet Fosters gun fits him perfectly and he obviously has the mental toughness.

So Larry, in order to pick up a few extra birds you may be better off putting that money into making sure your XT fits right and attending a good clinic. But I understand the desire to want a Perazzi.
That's my opinion, for what it's worth.

Post subject: re: Perazzi TM1 Trap single
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:03 pm 
Presentation Grade

My guess is Larry found what he wanted a long time ago. The original post was in 2004. Why do people dig something like this up?

Post subject: Re: re: Perazzi TM1 Trap single
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:56 pm 
Field Grade

Bridger wrote:
My guess is Larry found what he wanted a long time ago. The original post was in 2004. Why do people dig something like this up?

crap, I didn't notice the date....