CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Long Barrel Tactical??
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:43 pm 
Field Grade

Probably a dumb question, but does anyone have tactical builds with 26-28" barrels???

Thinking about starting a tactical build, but a little low on funds. Thought about using a Winchester 1200 that was given to me, but it has a lot sentimental value, so I'm not sure if it would be wise. Plus I can't find a 18.5" replacement barrel for it anyways.

Anyways, i just thought I would ask, maybe see some pics of what a 26-28" barrel tactical would look like.

Post subject: re: Long Barrel Tactical??
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:50 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Not a dumb question at all, imo.

I haven't seen any longer guns done up for Tac purposes, but there are a couple of guys posting here that have them set up for 3-gun and such. One has a long mag extension that makes it look like a Mossy on a Vi@gra overdose.

For that matter, my grandfather and probably amny others as well, had a long-barreled shotgun that stayed locked and loaded on the gun rack on his bedroom wall. He never needed a shorter barrel so he never bought one.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:45 pm 
Limited Edition

I think outside of the internet gun nuts, there aren't THAT many "tactical" shotguns being employed as HD. Most guys I know just use their deer rifle/ bird guns if situtaion arise where a gun is need.

It's sure is fun to have a cool tac gun tho.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:18 pm 
Diamond Grade

20" is long for me......

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:23 pm 
Presentation Grade

I think a 22" barrel is about as far as I would go. After that barrel length it gets hard to handle in tighter places and looks kind of funny with a very long mag tube extension. I like the 22" barrel length. I am working on a 22" auto now to turn it into a tactical. It has a Advantage Hardwoods Camo finish. A nice looking finish and something different other than the Black gun. The good thing is it came with choke tubes and a vent rib which I like. LPA now makes a Ghost ring sight set where the front sight mounts on a vent rib and the rear on a weaver style mount. I am not sure if I will keep the rifle sights or mount a Ghost ring sight. I kind of like the fiber optic rifle sights. To me they are just as fast on target as a ghost ring sight.

The shotgun is a Marlin H&R Excel Auto 5. I have already put over 100 rounds through it with no FTF. It is a good looking shotgun. Remington 870 Mag tubes Ext fit them.

GC

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:00 am 
Field Grade

That's what i figured. Christmas really put me in the hole. By January things should be back to normal. I'd like to do a 18.5" 870 or 500. I'll come back here to get ideas and advice and do a real build.

Thanks guys!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:21 pm 
Utility Grade

I just purchased a Remington 870 tactical. Came with a pistol grip stock, tactical forend, eight shot magazine, with a 20" barrel. It is chambered for 2 3/4" or 3" shells. They are parkerized in green or black and cost less than $400. Compared to the cost of a gun plus the mods. came out a couple hundred cheaper.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:54 pm 
Diamond Grade

If you do want a long barreled tactical shotgun you might as well extend the magazine as fare out as the barrel if your gun is going to be that long take advantage of it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:35 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

In a bedroom a long barrel isn't a problem. It might be when you start trying to search a house which isn't a bright idea anyway unless you know what your doing. Just use what you have, how often are you actually going to ever need it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:44 pm 
Field Grade

I went ahead and picked up a 18" bbl Mossy 500. They had them on sale at my local Academy. Kind of a early Christmas present to myself. I'll leave that old 1200 the way it is. It's a good looking shotgun, and I think the person who gave it to me would be a little hurt if I changed it up.

I'll have fun with this 500. Seems to be a lot of good products out for it. Probably have to wait till February before I can really start adding to it. Another money pit!!

I did have a question though, the gun came with the swivel studs, but not the swivel sling attachments. Anyone know where I an get a set. I always like having slings on all my stuff.