CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Remington 1100 trigger failure
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:08 pm 
Field Grade

My remington 1100 just stopped firing. The hammer strikes the firing pin(which is not broken). If you remove the barrel and place your finger over the firing pin hole you can feel the pin strike your finger. Put in a shell and pull the trigger and you hear the hammer strike the pin but nothing happens. Eject hte shell and there is NO and I mean No mark on the Primer. What's up? If it were wear on the pin or any other parts it seems the gun would have gone through a period of firing sometimes and not firing others. It just Quit all of a sudden. I had disassembled the gun for cleaning and reassembled. I have since taken it apart and put it back together four times to be sure it is assembled correctly. The hammer spring seems as strong as I remember it being and if it has gotten weak it would have gradually began to misfire. Any suggestions? I am not sure where to start.
Thanks for any help

Post subject: re: Remington 1100 trigger failure
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:37 pm 
Crown Grade

If the firing pin doesn't punch a hole in your finger, you've got a problem. Do you KNOW that the pin isn't broken (as in taken it out and looked at it), because that's what it sounds like to me. If it's good, spray some WD-40 down in the pin hole and see how much dirt runs out, and then try it again (without your finger).

BT

Cole

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:53 pm 
Field Grade

I have removed the firing pin from the bolt carrier twice and examined it carefully. Since there is no mark on the primer I thought the pin had broken but it looks perfect.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:49 pm 

those firing pins rarely break, but their return springs break all the time......

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:49 am 
Field Grade

. Since the primer has no dent, not even a mark, I thought the firing pin had broken and was now too short. The pin looks fine, rounded on the business end, clean and unbroken. I checked the retraction spring and it is intact and retracting the firing pin all the way. With the firing pin in good shape one would suspect a weak hammer spring but how could the gun go from working perfectly to not even marking the primer unless the spring broke, as I said it feels fine also. When you retract and cock the hammer by hand there is about the right amount of tension on it. When the gun is assembled it makes a normal noise when the hammer strikes the back of the firing pin.
Stummped

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:58 am 
Field Grade

Check to make sure there is no fouling build up, or battering of the locking lug recess in the barrel extension. If the locking bolt is not allowed to travel "up" far enough, firing pin will be restricted. Also make sure that the piston seal is not installed backwards, a common mistake , even for experienced shooters.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:16 pm 
Utility Grade

Be sure you have your piston and ring on correctly, in the right order. I see this alot.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:07 pm 
Field Grade

I think the rings are oriented correctly but I will check again.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:09 am 
Gunsmith
Gunsmith

I believe, having not seen the gun, that what Swift River described in the lug recess area, could be the culprit. However, having your gas rings in the wrong order will not have an effect on whether the firing pin strikes the primer or not. Make sure the locking lug fits in the lug recess in the barrel extension, or hood, as some may call it.

http://saberrivergunsmithing.com
Cerakote™ Certified Applicator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:39 am 

If you have the rings in incorrectly, the bolt will not return to battery and the hammer will not fall at all.....I would inspect that bolt thoroughly and be sure that all of the firing pin return spring is out of it and that the bolt buffer (on the back of the bolt) is in all the way. If it is not, there might not be enough of the back of the firing pin exposed to the hammer.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:38 pm 
Gunsmith
Gunsmith

To follow up on what Mike said...the firing pin return spring may look good, but when they break they will wind up on each half, making it appear that it's OK. It'll even have some rebound to it.

info@dougsgunsmithshop.com
www.dougsgunsmithshop.com

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:17 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks guys,
I had the gas rings in the correct orientation but when I removed all gas rings and O ring the gun fired. So you guys got me on the right track. I bought a replacement O ring a few weeks back. It worked fine for a few hundred shells until the gin quit firing. Upon closer inspection the new O ring was "Thicker" than the original. When the barrel slide over the ring it would compress it just enough to inhibit the travel of the gas rings. This prevented the bolt carrier from locking (locking all the way) and somehow prevented the trigger mechanism from correctly releasing. Thanks for all the help.
LDPace

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:50 am 
Presentation Grade

Glad you got her working, So alot of problems that seem difficult,are actualy very simple,