CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ithaca Hammerless
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:45 pm 
Utility Grade

I recently acquired and old sxs that I need assistance in identifying. It is labeled Ithaca Hammerless on both sides. Its serial is 815XX.

On top of the barrel rib in a recessed area are two words that I just cannot make out they are so faint. The first word is about 10 letters long and ends in ER the second word is STEEL.

On the flats inder the barrel the serial is on the right and on the left is an S over 12

Near the chamber on the end of the barrel is 28.

The stock is walnut and in superb condition, no cracks and very few nicks. The barrels are blue and the receiver is case hardened steel. It has a beavertail forearm.

Any idea what this is?

Thanks,

Post subject: re: Ithaca Hammerless
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:47 am 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

You have a Field Grade, Lewis Model Ithaca, made about 1903,, With some kind of Fluid Steel barrels.. Your gun ha an aftermarket forend and is lkely restocked as wel..Bushrodl

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:38 am 
Utility Grade

Thanks for your answer, however serial number is also stamped on the forearm, are you sure this would be an aftermarket item?

Do you know if it is capable of handling modern ammunition or is it black powder only? And, does anyone have the answer to the stamping on the barrel (something ER STEEL)?

I'll take some pics and post them.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:43 am 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

Is the number on the wood or the forend iron? Whichever, Ithaca didn't furnish a beavertail forend in 1903 (nor did any other company that I know of)... Your gun also left the factory with 2 5/8" chambers.. Don't use off the shelf ammo, use a load that generates no more than 8,000 PSI chamber pressure.. Could the lettering say "Nitro Powder Steel"?

Post subject: Re: re: Ithaca Hammerless
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:54 am 
Utility Grade

natty bumpo wrote:
Is the number on the wood or the forend iron? Whichever, Ithaca didn't furnish a beavertail forend in 1903 (nor did any other company that I know of)... Your gun also left the factory with 2 5/8" chambers.. Don't use off the shelf ammo, use a load that generates no more than 8,000 PSI chamber pressure.. Could the lettering say "Nitro Powder Steel"?

The number is in the iron. Pictures are below. I know zip about old double barrels. This is the first one I have ever owned. I have a question about the piece attached to the barrels that the beaver tail attaches to. Is this supposed to be very loose or is the one on my shotty broken? (last image)

And yes since you pointed out the word stamped in the top of the barrel might say NITRO POWDER STEEL, I can now barely make that out.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:44 pm 
Presentation Grade

What a nice, clean old Lewis! The fore end lug should be tightly soldered to the barrels. This is a simple repair for any 'smith or advanced amature. Excellent low pressure ammunition is available from many sources. One of the best is the Vintagers from Poly Wad in Macon, Ga. Fix the lug and enjoy your old Lewis. The fore end looks like a typical Ithaca splinter fore end,

'Lonzo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:19 pm 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

Lonzo is right, you don't have a beavertail. Your gun looks to have all the original parts, but it appears to have been refinished, but a good job,,Bushrod

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:34 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks for the feedback guys. Guess I really don't know what a beavertail is. Any idea where I could find an original type buttpad? Mine is missing.

Thanks Again!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:53 pm 
Presentation Grade

For a replacement butt plate, contact Dutchman Wood Works:
ShopTalk@DutchmanWoodWorks.com Have the guy who solders the lug fit it while it's in the shop.

'Lonzo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:54 am 
Presentation Grade

Or maybe "smokeless powder steel"? I have an old Minier that has these words stamped on the barrels. Nice looking old gun. :D