CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: best gun for a (very) petite wife?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:59 pm 
Presentation Grade

5'1" 105 lbs...her husband (that would be me) is getting into shooting and she's expressed an interest.

What would be the best starter gun/gage with respect to recoil and general shootability for such a little lady?

Post subject: re: best gun for a (very) petite wife?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:58 am 
Crown Grade

An auto loading 28 gauge shotgun would be my pick.The Remington 1100,Charles Daly and Franchi 48AL are all available in 28 gauge.

If it were myself I would go with the 28 gauge Franchi 48 AL.They are light(5 1/2 pounds) low recoil and very dependable.My second choice would be the Remington Model 1100.They are fine shotguns but are heaiver.Third choice the Charles Daly.Do not know a lot about these shotguns .Some swear by them while others swear at them. :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:31 am 
Limited Edition

My husband started me out with a Beretta Urika 391 youth stock in 20 gauge. I LOVE LOVE LOVE that gun! I can shoot that gun all day long and hardly feel it. I did start out with a shooting pad at first, but now I can shoot it with no padding at all.

I recently bought myself a Beretta 3901 in 12 gauge and the felt recoil of that gun is very similar to my 20 gauge. I think either gun would be an excellent choice.

"It is not a mark of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." -- Krishnamurti

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:14 am 
Presentation Grade

Wolfe-Shooter - We had the same situation, and found a Remington 1100 28 ga with a 23" barrel and youth stock. It does not get any friendlier than that for the beginning, recoil-shy, petite shooter. Good luck in your Quest.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:04 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Whatever the gun, a youth stock will be an absolute necessity.
Compared to stocks designed for men, a youth stock will be shorter and have a smaller grip so your wife's hand can reach the trigger without having to slide it up and forward on a grip that it too large.

A youth stock will also have a shorter recoil pad. She will not want a pad that extends down to the middle of her rib cage.

Barrel length will be important as well. Small shooters can tire quickly with too much barrel having to be supported and swung with the forward hand.

Two other dimensions in addition to the length of the stock will need to be checked, regardless of the youth-stocked gun she gets. One is the pitch of the stock, the angle of the butt to the rib (close to 90 degrees).

When your wife mounts the gun, the entire recoil pad, top to bottom, should make simultaneous contact with her shoulder pocket, just inside of her shoulder joint with the top of the stock, the heel, even with the top of her shoulder.

It is possible that the bottom "toe" of the pad will make contact with her shoulder before the top, heel, i.e., it will stick out too far. When this is the case, the stock will need to be cut to correct the "inadequate" pitch.

The other dimension that is critical is the drop at the comb. It describes the distance of the top of the stock, the comb, below the level of the rib. It is critical because the height of the comb will determine the height of her eye relative to the rib.

With her cheek resting snugly on the comb, your wife should be able to look along the surface of the rib for hunting, skeet and sporting clays shooting and slightly down onto the rib if she will be using the gun primarily for trap shooting.

All these dimensions with the exception of the grip can be changed but a youth stock will be the best place to start. Ideally, the gun will need no dimensional stock alterations but there is no guarantee.

Not only will a well fitting gun allow your wife to shoot better and improve more quickly, it will reduce the recoil she will feel and allow her to shoot more comfortably.

I agree with the recommendations for the semi-autos, either a 28 gauge (with its more expensive shells) or a 20 gauge with light loads. I suggest you have your wife seriously consider the weight in her forward hand that relates to the length of the barrel. Longer is better but not it she tires quickly. I suggest you not buy a gun unless your wife can at least handle it and mount it a half-dozen times to see how tireing it is. Ideally again, she would be able to shoot it although that is unlikely.

Author: Stock Fitter's Bible, Second Edition - Gun-fitting & shooting instruction for shooters of all ages and disciplines. http://www.amazon.com in their book section.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:21 am 
Crown Grade

With the current prices of 28 gauge shells, the 28 isn't my idea of ideal. The Beretta 391 20 guage guns weigh around 6 pounds, a weight small shooters can handle. The second part of the equation is finding a decent shell. The four packs and cheap shells are seldom the answer to a soft shooting shell. The answer will depend on where you live and what the locals stock. Your wife is a bit bigger than my daugther and she shoots a 30" 391. I don't recommend the 30", but I already had it and she doesn't shoot enough to justify buying a shorter barrel.(The stock is cut down.)

To reduce felt recoil, your wife has to get her weight on her front foot and her back shoulder "on top" of her hip. If that back shoulder falls behind the plane of the back hip, any gun will feel like it kicks like a mule. If she bends her front leg, that will likely drop the rear shoulder back. Get her started shooting with a straight front leg. That will make it much simpler for her to stay forward, into the gun.
Dave

FWIW, the Remington 28 gauge auto weighs as much as a 12 gauge 391 field gun, about 7 lbs. 4 oz.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:27 pm 
Diamond Grade

Hi,
My name is Sandy Crawford, and I am posting under my husband's account, since I am not registered on this site.

After reading the postings under this thread, I felt compelled to give you my true life experience. First, I am 5’2” and weight 105 pounds. Started shooting four years ago and now shoot NSCA, NSSA & ATA tournaments. I thank my husband firm advice and and a few lessons with Dan Carslile for my development.

Let’s talk about gun selection. My first was a Remington 1100 LT20, one out of my husband’s stockpile that he had the stock refitted for me. It fit and I learned to shoot very well. After about 6 months we looked at a Franchi AL20 and it was so pretty and so light that we had to buy it, BIG MISTAKE. We shorted the stock to fit me and I started shooting. It was way to light, did not have a good swing (too whippy), and it kicked like a donkey. At that time I was shooting about 200 practice rounds every weekend and after one month, I went back to the Remington 1100 which again I shot well. A couple of months later, my husband gave me a new Beretta 391 youth and it is a great gun. It was a natural pointer and sweet shooter like the 1100.

Two years ago I felt that I was in control of my shooting hobby and decided to go out on my own and buy the gun that Sandy wanted. My choice was Beretta 391 Optima, 12-gauge with a 30” sporting barrel for trap and a 26” barrel for skeet. I added a custom fitted raised comb stock. With this gun it has all come together for me. The weight and balance of this gun is perfect and I can handle shooting 300 rounds/day of heavy 3 dr. loads. Properly balanced gun weight is GOOD, lightness is NOT GOOD.

Shooting a 96/100, I beat my husband in Trap last Saturday. He still kicks me on the skeet field but I have shot a few 25-straights. At age 46, I am still 5’2” and still weight 105 pounds, well, I was 100 pounds when I started shooting four years ago. So guys, please go on and on with your recommendations. Ladies, listen to me, I am telling you straight what worked best for this petite lady shooter.

Sandy

Post subject: Re: re: best gun for a (very) petite wife?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:26 am 
Field Grade

Zac Crawford wrote:
Hi,
My name is Sandy Crawford, and I am posting under my husband's account, since I am not registered on this site.

Two years ago I felt that I was in control of my shooting hobby and decided to go out on my own and buy the gun that Sandy wanted. My choice was Beretta 391 Optima, 12-gauge with a 30” sporting barrel for trap and a 26” barrel for skeet. I added a custom fitted raised comb stock. With this gun it has all come together for me. The weight and balance of this gun is perfect and I can handle shooting 300 rounds/day of heavy 3 dr. loads. Properly balanced gun weight is GOOD, lightness is NOT GOOD.

Shooting a 96/100, I beat my husband in Trap last Saturday. He still kicks me on the skeet field but I have shot a few 25-straights. At age 46, I am still 5’2” and still weight 105 pounds, well, I was 100 pounds when I started shooting four years ago. So guys, please go on and on with your recommendations. Ladies, listen to me, I am telling you straight what worked best for this petite lady shooter.

Sandy

Sandy has made excellent points but there is one in particular I'd like to underscore. It is the matter of a properly fitting high comb - all other things being equal. It is, as she implies, the crowning touch for success and especially comfort in a ladies gun. I have been lucky enough to attend fittings of lady friends at the West London School and this point was always stressed by the fitter. In the UK one can buy a rubber cheek pad inexpensively to raise the comb that will get you towards that goal until the stock can be customized. I know Crockharts in Blairgowrie Scotland carry them but perhaps they are available here too. Bravo Sandy!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:08 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

I think that Sandy and Beesley are giving good advice.

What Lady's stock did you buy? Wenig? The 391 RL stock is based on an average of measurments of 100 women's stocks that were fitted by Wenig.

The four main issues in a woman stock are Comb height (they need more height), Pitch (they need more pitch and some toe out as the shape of the natural shoulder pocket is not like a man's), stock length (they need less but often not as short as a youth shotgun) and lastly the grip should be altered for being closer to the trigger and smaller for smaller hands. Ok maybe five as Cast is important too.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:48 pm 
Diamond Grade

Dear astomb,
Again, I am posting under my husband's account.

We purchased a factory Beretta 391 RL Stock which has the higher parallel target comb. After some shooting session fit-up trials. We came up with the dimensions that best fit my frame and shooting style. Then the gun was turned over to stock fitter, Larry Feland of Houston, TX.

A stock shim was used to give maximum comb height and cast-out. The grip was fine. Originally, I was using a standard 391 stock that had been shortened, and the 391 RL grip was a little more compact which felt much better. There was cutting and trimming in other areas. The final touch was installing a 1” thick Kick-eez recoil pad and a thin, 3/16” thick, soft comb cheek pad.

My barrel has a low rib rather that a step-up rib. So you would think that with all the extra comb height that I would seeing a lot of rib leading up to the front bead. Not the case. When I mount, I am looking flat down the rib, seeing only the bead. And I might mention that I removed my mid-bead and replaced the front bead with a very small one, barely bigger than the size of a standard mid-bead.

I wish that everyone can enjoy their time shooting as much as I do.

Sandy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:39 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Sandy:
You made and excellent choice to go with the Beretta RL stock.

As I wrote earlier it is based on average dimensions of 100 women's stocks hand made by wenig. Wenig now sells that stock.

Glad you enjoy your shooting.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:45 pm 
Field Grade

Last time I checked Crockharts, a venerable gunmaking family of many generations in Blairgowrie north of Perth, do an excellent, informal job of fitting both ladies and gentlemen.

They also do "in house" gun adjustments and repairs of all kinds, carry an inventory of used and new firearms at sensible prices, as well as clothing and shooting supplies. Their facility is very comfortable.

I recommend a visit. There are other interesting shops and places to eat nearby. Blairgowrie is a charming town, with friendly people.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:15 am 
Presentation Grade

i would put her straight on two a 20 gauge,

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:45 pm 
Limited Edition

Enjoy your new Beretta. I know I love both of mine (391 RL and 3901). :D:D

"It is not a mark of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." -- Krishnamurti